Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angst/Depression/Rant/Whatever  (Read 2561 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Angst/Depression/Rant/Whatever
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:01 pm »

This will probably come of as a long whine...

There is some kind of nameless lethargy and sorrow in me.
I feel generally energyless, tired, sad, depressed and occasionally suicidal.

It probably started with my secret whatever love making out with random people, which hit me first, but now I give jack shit about it since she's a filthy whore, or something resembling it. However, it lighted some depressive spark in me. Before that, I was at least equipped with moderate self-esteem.
Nowadays, I almost hate myself. Because I look like an idiot, because I feel unattractive, and because I am a coward and weakling. As an extension to this, I hate people. Because all my 'friends' are either not real friends or assholes who disappoint me as soon as I get some kind of real friendship feeling.

Depression or teenagy angst, I don't know.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Angst/Depression/Rant/Whatever
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:05:02 pm »

Changing the boxbot avatar could help.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:10:26 pm »

Have you tried pressing control alt del?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 04:12:24 pm »

I have a mac, just like you, Wigglesworth.
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:25:08 pm »

That could be the source of your angst.  :P

If it's any consolation, I nearly drank myself into a coma one summer over an ex-GF. Significant others (more specifically, their rejection of you) can do a serious number on you, which then spreads like an infection and poisons your outlook on everything else.

Solution? I dunno, never been good at that sort of thing. IMHO, the main thing is to realize that in the long run, we're all dead anyhow. But, that doesn't have to be depressing or lead you into nihilism. The other way to look at it is that since you have a finite amount of time to experience, there's no sense it wasting it pissing about.

This is a horrible choice of analogy, but since this *is* the DF forum:

All our fortresses are doomed to eventually collapse, either through accident, poor planning, or because we just get bored with them and pull the Doomsday Lever. That doesn't mean it's pointless to play.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:33:42 pm »

Hmm... When I have those sort of feelings reading about transhumanism and recent technological breakthroughs seems to help.

Or if you are going for a general respect among your peers, you could learn to program. From my experience, most people don't have the fuzziest idea about how programming works, and as such anyone who can do it is seen as some sort of magician by everyone else. Even doing something extremely simple, like sorting a list, sounds complex and the code for doing it looks extremely complex to the average person. Even the first 3 or 4 chapters of an introductory C++ book will get you that far. Remember, you don't have to actually be a genious to trick others into thinking you are one by knowing something they don't. Quantum and relativistic physics will also do the trick for this.

On another note, we really can't help much when it comes to figuring out what you should do when you have yet to tell us what your skillset is.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:36:36 pm by alway »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 04:38:35 pm »

Have you tried command option escape?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 05:37:20 pm »

Have you tried, I don't know, utilizing the people in your life (family, I'm guessing, since you apparently have no friends) to get through this problem? Maybe telling them what the issue is so you can go see a psychiatrist?

And, more importantly, since a large majority of the people on this forum who know you see you as bigoted and hypocritical, why are you posting this here?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:01:56 pm »

Human compassion supersede such notions?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »

Don't you think telling people who actually like him would have been a better idea? Like seeking out help off the net?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 06:06:27 pm »

Don't you think telling people who actually like him would have been a better idea? Like seeking out help off the net?

Probably.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 06:08:09 pm »

Well, I won't push the notion, or stay around just to insult him.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:08:57 pm »

Have you tried, I don't know, utilizing the people in your life (family, I'm guessing, since you apparently have no friends) to get through this problem? Maybe telling them what the issue is so you can go see a psychiatrist?

And, more importantly, since a large majority of the people on this forum who know you see you as bigoted and hypocritical, why are you posting this here?

I can't really speak to RL people about it.
Why am I posting it here?
I want it to stop.
I want to know why, although this seems kind of answered.

It comes in surges, it seems. I feel normal now, but I know that, later this day, I will feel like shit.

Bigoted and Hypocritical?
That's a fine image I've made myself :-\

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:24:55 pm »

I think the best thing you can do is to try to reform yourself.  If you're unhappy with who you are, then try to change.  There are lots of women out there, and though this one was important, there will be others.

Don't sweat it.  Just enjoy life.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".