Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79]

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 104864 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later
« Reply #1170 on: April 22, 2011, 10:29:15 am »

Black Metal and Moon Dwarves?

I'm in.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 21, 2012, 10:15:02 am »

I'm amazed this happened in 2010. Then again, we''re only halfway through the year, but still.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:09 am »

Awkward thread revival.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:20 am »

Meh. I'm just wondering how things are today.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 21, 2012, 11:43:18 am »

I'm pretty good! :) Thanks for asking.

How about you?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »

They're still sorting out who will get the money from BP and who will decide how it will be spent. There still a lot of question about the safety of Gulf seafood and while it's gotten a little better, you still see the occasional tar ball wash up on the beach. Supposedly if you dig deep enough there's also plenty of oil still left in the beach sand that they weren't allowed to pick up because it was too deep by the time they started cleaning the beaches. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to have forgotten it for the most part. Except for the money and the occasional faded out bumper sticker, you just don't hear anyone talking about it anymore.

Sad, but people just don't seem to have a long term memory about these sort of things. You can go out to the beaches at night and see the lights from the offshore platforms... and I suppose, looking at it another way, they're out there, they're not going anywhere until the oil is gone... I guess the only thing some people can do is forget about them and hope for the best.

Granted, this area's economy, from Texas to Alabama and even parts of Florida are mired in the oil industry. A good half of the people I know either are, or have family in the oil industry. To some people, losing that would be worse than losing the tourism revenue from the beaches.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 28, 2012, 01:05:47 am »

I'm more concerned about the effect fukishima had on seafood, the majority of the oil suprisingly seems to be somewhat biodegradable, and it's a big ocean, for the most part i'm happy to just avoid florida lobsters .We used them in the restaurant i work in, i'm not too familiar with lobsters, but i'm pretty sure that horrid black gunk inside which is perfectly normal, SHOULDNT smell so hydrocarbony, aromatic, a bit sweet, somewhat spicy, like fresh napalm in the morning, the meat seems palatable enough though, but i wouldnt want to eat them in large quantities.
Radioactive tuna however? keep that shit as far away from me as possible.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 21, 2013, 10:22:45 am »

ARISE:

Corporate malfeasance!

According to Marie, Lockman and GAP, BP's "astroturfing" efforts and use of "trolls" have been reported as pursuing users' personal information, then tracking and posting IP addresses of users, contacting their employers, threatening to contact family members, and using photos of critics' family members to create false Facebook profiles, and even threatening to affect the potential outcome of individual compensation claims against BP.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/11/bp-trolling-facebook-critics-20131112104514166549.html

This should be a front page story everywhere, really. Corporations should support society, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:40:48 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 24, 2013, 08:55:04 pm »

Whilst this is big news, it kind of warrants it's own thread, not necro-ing this such stuff. You could link back to this thread, but I feel a 'BP are bad guys' thread alone would do the job.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 26, 2013, 07:24:50 am »

I wouldn't entirely agree there, This news might affect their compensation claims which are a result of the deepwater horizons incident.
Also since I followed this thread in the past I appreciated being able to see related news so easily due to watching this thread.
However, you are correct, this was a significant necro and I would assume that such a necro would really only be appropiate if it came from the OP himself, which would be you actually, heh.
Anyhow, since we're on the subject, has anyone heard anything recently about the enviromental impact as observed at this point? I recall that predictions were made about the oil either sitting on the bottom of the ocean for a long time, or that perhaps that microbes would or were removing the oil at a significant rate.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23:00 am »

Quote from: Wikipedia
During a January 2013 flyover, former NASA physicist Bonny Schumaker noted a "dearth of marine life" in a radius 30 to 50 miles around the Macondo well. "Since the fall of 2011, now about 14 months, I see no turtles, few if any dolphins, few if any rays ... few sharks, few bait balls, all of the things we used to see," she commented. This may mean that the wildlife left the area in search of food. "I guess the Gulf of Mexico in these parts is a stinky, dead desert for its previous visitors," Schumaker told NBC news.

Three years after the oil spill, the residual effects were still apparent, with tar balls still found on the Mississippi coast, as well as an oil sheen along a coastal marsh, and erosion on an island in Barataria Bay sped up by the death of mangrove trees and marsh grass

So, well, a marine death zone and several coasts being affected.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 26, 2013, 08:59:28 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79]