Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 104914 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #390 on: June 01, 2010, 07:30:42 am »

I'm only really guessing here, but I think that the presence of water would make it a bit different.
If anything, it'll make it more effective. On land, a lot of force escapes upwards when ground is pulverized and thrown into the air. Underwater, the ground will be pressed in, and more force will be going sideways.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 01, 2010, 07:42:48 am »

Or you could drop the nuke down into the underground oil resevoir. Detonate it, vaporize the entire oil resevoir. It may not help much, but it would make for an awesome even to watch on their leak cams. :D

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 01, 2010, 07:45:15 am »

I maintain that we should microwave the Gulf.

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 01, 2010, 09:32:33 am »

Or you could drop the nuke down into the underground oil resevoir. Detonate it, vaporize the entire oil resevoir. It may not help much, but it would make for an awesome even to watch on their leak cams. :D

Right, because that's such a wonderful idea...

Less sarcastically, this is a bad idea because: 1, the sea-floor at the relevant location is weak enough that a nuke would cause a vastly worse environmental problem, 2, the resulting water dislocation would drive huge quantities of oil ashore, and, most importantly,

3: RADIOACTIVE OIL TSUNAMI!

y'know, as someone from about as far as it's possible to get from the spill on the East Coast of the US, that actually sounds pretty cool. Yeah, go for it...
This space unintentionally left blank.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 01, 2010, 09:48:43 am »

3: RADIOACTIVE OIL TSUNAMI!

Hmm... that needs something... ah! I know!

3: ‼RADIOACTIVE OIL TSUNAMI‼

As an east coast Florida resident I wholly support that option.  Especially if it just gets close enough for me to get a good view without destroying me and everything I ever loved. 

Those Tampa people think they're city is so great, That'll show them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 01, 2010, 09:52:01 am »

Lol, nuking it would be the most stupid idea ever. I just want to see it happen because of that. Also, if it was wrongly placed, the hole would get bigger, more horror.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 01, 2010, 11:51:53 am »

Look, "nuking it" won't result in a tsunami, it will simply be a very big boom. For a tsunami, a very large amount of water would have to be displaced horizontally. It is, essentially, a tidal wave. An explosion not just underwater, but underground, will not be able to displace water horizontally. It will push the water up at first, but then everything will fall back into the gas pocket created by the blast, and water will be drawn back in, with very little net horizontal movement. In the ground, on the other hand, there will be a noticeable horizontal movement, ideally just enough to seal off the leaking wells.

I'm not saying it won't cause a great deal of environmental damage, mostly because of the "shooting fish in a barrel" effect on the aquatic wildlife and the irradiation of water in case of an actual nuke. But it won't create a tidal wave, and it won't cause a fireball because there won't be enough heat on the surface.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 01, 2010, 12:04:59 pm »

I think that we should get a big rock and tie a bunch of dogs to it and drop it on the leak.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 01, 2010, 12:08:31 pm »

You could grant a pardon to anyone who dumps the body in the well. You could have a side-business selling a variety of ferrous fashions...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 01, 2010, 12:10:49 pm »

Everybody is also forgetting that there is a ban on testing nukes, and using a nuke on that would go against that. Not to mention a planet sized can of worms of consequences and reactions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 01, 2010, 12:15:08 pm »

It's not like nukes havent been tested on the sea before. They dont produce tsunamis, people. They just produce lots of bubbles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBnzoxWFBwQ
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 01, 2010, 12:15:47 pm »

And a couple of tonnes of high explosive ought to do the job...
It is just that, well, nukes are the magma of our world, they just make everything more Fun...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 01, 2010, 01:44:45 pm »

Get some dwarven engineers in. That'll solve the problem.
Of course, it will create a whole lot of new, worse problems, but at least there won't be any oil in the sea. Probably.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 01, 2010, 03:07:09 pm »

Nuking the oil well? and what if a hurricane rolls through and picks up the radioactive oil?

Then you'd have a radioactive hurricane made out of fire.

which is exactly what the Russians want.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 01, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »

Haha, wait. All we need is make engines that run on crude, and start a racing championship on boats with ramscoops. It'll get cleared up in no time.

But yes, it doesn't even have to be a nuke. A "kiloton nuke" is an equivalent of, well, one thousand tons of TNT. Gather up an equivalent in modern military explosives, and you'll get something that's just as good as a nuke, only a little larger and less radioactive. I think the US once did just that, gathering four-something thousand tons of explosives to simulate a nuclear blast. Since nukes are banned right now, nobody's stopping us from trying to do something like that again.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 79