Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 104975 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #1125 on: September 28, 2010, 04:42:36 pm »

Quote from: Toady
Nikov has been going out of his way to insult people in several threads.  He has been muted for a week.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 28, 2010, 04:53:48 pm »

Quote from: Toady
Nikov has been going out of his way to insult people in several threads.  He has been muted for a week.

Ah. I take it that's a no, then?

As for debates where either side could make shit up and not get called on it, I think that'd be cool.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: December 15, 2010, 05:30:33 pm »

Wake up!  Wake up!  It's time for lawsuits!

Quote from: CNN, breaking today.
In a lawsuit filed in New Orleans, the Justice Department accuses BP, its partners in the ruptured well and drilling contractor Transocean of failing to take "necessary precautions" to prevent or control the April 20 blowout.

The suit asks the court for civil penalties under the Clean Water Act and to declare eight of the defendants liable without limitations under the federal Oil Pollution Act. It asks a court to impose all removal costs and damages caused by the oil spill, including damages to natural resources, on the companies, according to the Justice Department and the Environmental Protection Agency.

The suit will join nearly 80 others that have been consolidated in New Orleans. The defendants include BP and oil companies MOEX and Anadarko, which were partners in the Macondo well off Louisiana; Transocean and its partner, Triton Asset Leasing...  Halliburton was not named in Wednesday's lawsuit, but Holder said both civil and criminal investigations were still under way, and other defendants could be added.

And you probably thought it was swept under the rug after BP agreed to the $20bil escrow fund.  Out of sight, out of mind, nothing left but the crying and ad campaigns.  Well lo and behold, the wheels of justice grind slowly but exceedingly fine.  I can't wait to see how long this takes to resolve, and what the outcome might be.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - Plugged, After a Fashion
« Reply #1128 on: December 15, 2010, 05:51:30 pm »

Hopefully BP gets hit hard enough with lawsuits that no other oil company will be stupid enough to cut corners on this sort of thing ever again. Probably not going to happen, but maybe they'll at least think twice.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: December 15, 2010, 08:45:09 pm »

I'm going to laugh if we get some special suspension of the "cruel and unusual punishment" rule, so that everyone who inhabits the coast can line up and punch these people square in the throat.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: December 15, 2010, 09:58:30 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:21:06 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »

And you probably thought it was swept under the rug after BP agreed to the $20bil escrow fund.  Out of sight, out of mind, nothing left but the crying and ad campaigns.  Well lo and behold, the wheels of justice grind slowly but exceedingly fine.  I can't wait to see how long this takes to resolve, and what the outcome might be.

I predict: 12 years, settlement, $25 to $30 billion in cash pay outs.

It should be just enough so Gulf Coast residents can purchase brand new condos on the beach, on land that a developer bought for pocket change from desperate property owners.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:36 pm »

I'm going to laugh if we get some special suspension of the "cruel and unusual punishment" rule, so that everyone who inhabits the coast can line up and punch these people square in the throat.

We can suspend the bill of rights without passing an amendment?  Sweet!  I can't wait until all sorts of evildoers, who we just know are guilty (we just know, okay), can be tried repeatedly for an offense until they're found guilty.  If at first justice doesn't succeed, try try again!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: December 15, 2010, 10:16:42 pm »

We can suspend the bill of rights without passing an amendment?  Sweet!  I can't wait until all sorts of evildoers, who we just know are guilty (we just know, okay), can be tried repeatedly for an offense until they're found guilty.  If at first justice doesn't succeed, try try again!
Would you like to hear somthing disturbing?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: December 21, 2010, 03:25:17 am »

Metal I think that wasn't actually a link even though it looked a lot like one. You can't just make your text blue and hope it magically leads somewhere awesome.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:35 am »

Uh, he was referencing LCS.

Besides links are yellow on this forum.
Shoes...

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: December 21, 2010, 03:38:35 am »

Only if you use that theme.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: December 21, 2010, 08:48:07 am »

Hopefully Union Carbide Morton-Thiokol Exxon BP gets hit hard enough with lawsuits that no other company will be stupid enough to cut corners on this sort of thing ever again. Probably not going to happen, but maybe they'll at least think twice.
Fixed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 21, 2010, 08:51:54 am »

Oh yes. It's probably time for the snake to shed its skin again, and be reborn "New Fuels" or some other complete and total deception.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:39 am »

Oh. No, I wasn't saying those companies are now BP, just the whole scenario of "Company f**ks up bigtime, gets hit with a financial penalty, and.....nothing changes." And you look at Union Carbide in Bhopal or Exxon in Alaska, they managed to foot drag and stall so long that a lot of the people directly damaged by their actions died before receiving a penny. And the amount they were hit for is now chump change because of decades of inflation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 79