Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spring Weather  (Read 1072 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Spring Weather
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:23:16 am »

So right now, here where I live it is rather rainy.
I live in Greenland, and the weather here can be quite unpredictable.
So asie for the little droplets of rain we are haveing, there is a wind velocity/speed around (just below) 20 m/s, which will not go below 15 m/s untill tomorrow at midday.
It's not unusual here, but it's  just one of theese days.
I had to cover my nose and mouth to be able to breathe when walking against the wind.

The biggest problem is, that I have a few days ago ordered (over the internet, since they didn't have it in the local stores.)
 Dragon Age Origins + expansion, and as long as the weather behaves as it does now, I cannot get it delivered.  :(

Anyone else experiencing typical weather which happens at/around this time of the year?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:35:46 am by Ultimuh »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Weather
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20:16 am »

Yes, we have weather this time of year. Actually, we have weather all year.  :P

It's a typical North Carolina spring, which means it was 45F the other night, and will be near 90F tomorrow. It may rain, or it may not. It may be cold, or it may be hot. Spring weather here is essentially the product of a RNG and a table from a DnD manual.

By mid-May, the weather will have stabilized into a pattern of: 90+ degrees F, humid, chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Repeat until September.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:58:57 am »

Ohio weather is pretty much just batsh*t insane all year round. One week this year we had 80 degree weather with snow the next week.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:27:29 pm »

I remember that.  That sucked, it's still all cold and gross out.  It's supposed to be Spring, darnit.
Shoes...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »

In the highlands of northern Israel, it already feels like mid-July. It's unreal. You can't do much of anything outside between 1 and 4 pm. And to think that it's going to just get worse for the next three months....aw Christ.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:19:42 pm »

Ohio weather is pretty much just batsh*t insane all year round. One week this year we had 80 degree weather with snow the next week.

Yeah, when God made Ohio weather, he went a little ADD on us. "Tornadoes, no snow, no wait cloudy weather, wait no intense heat, no wait lots of fog! Wait, how about a little bit of everyone elses weather? Yeah that'll be great, and to top it off, I'll roll for weather changes in ANY season!"

Yes, in Ohio, God rolls for weather, with a high chance for a critical miss
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:46:52 pm »

Yeah, when God made Ohio weather, he went a little ADD on us. "Tornadoes, no snow, no wait cloudy weather, wait no intense heat, no wait lots of fog! Wait, how about a little bit of everyone elses weather? Yeah that'll be great, and to top it off, I'll roll for weather changes in ANY season!"

Yes, in Ohio, God rolls for weather, with a high chance for a critical miss
"I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice... except for Ohio weather. That shit is insane."
- Albert Einstein

Weather's been pretty well behaved in Georgia recently, but in general it can change drastically in a very short amount of time, particularly with respect to the temperature. Like, switching between record highs and record lows in a matter of days, also snowing in March after several hot weeks. Sounds like Ohio is pretty similar.

But, at the moment it's pretty normal (hot).

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 07:14:17 pm »

Western Washington, described as Ecotopia by some book I can't remember, has very moderate weather.

We typically freeze for 0-4 days at a time, 0-2 times per winter. The summer between July and early September is rainless, but it rains the rest of the time. Every few years we get a big windstorm and it knocks out power for a few neighborhoods for a day or two. Spring is warm and mild, varying from a sprinkle or mist to a torrential downpour, with sparse patches of clear weather between.

Only occasionally do we get an earthquake, and it does little more than knock food off your shelf.

We're sheltered on the Puget Sound and at a sufficiently high elevation to avoid a tsunami. Likewise, if you live above the flood plains you're pretty safe from pyroclastic mud flows resulting from a minor volcanic eruption (which we never have). And, seasonal flooding in the lowlands but what do you expect, you're living on the broad banks of a river?

Then again Mt Rainier is just twitching and burbling over there and it could blow any moment.

But crime and poverty are bad, and the police are jerks. And the whole eastern half of the state is ridiculous and insane. I think of a grizzled racist man in a stained wife-beater, crouching among his turnip patch gnawing on a bundle of raw tobacco, harassing his goat, spitting everywhere.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:17:17 pm »

We had some of the hottest weather this year back in early april. Right now, since the beginning of may its been rather cold.