Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: We all live in a Dwarven Submarine. [Community]  (Read 5433 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We all live in a Dwarven Submarine. [Community]
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:40:10 pm »

I remember trying to do this once WITH WATER and with OUT GOLD. It is dam hard if your doing what i did AKA a drydock.

EDIT: Ill take the crews main "basic" repairman, aka broken walls, making new submarine stuff.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:41:31 pm by nuker w »

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 12:03:35 am »

Woah, there's alot more people signed up I'll add a waiting list, and get started tomorrow. It's likely to be a giant, golden submarine, in water, not magma. Because if it was in magma, having a "Magma Power supply" would be less... dramatic. I'll go make the waiting list, the first seven will have the skills I always use, but they'll get their preferred skills enabled.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 05:14:29 am »

Make sure you mine out some pitchblende so that you can make it a nuclear submarine!

Oh, and drydock is for pansies and elves.  Real dwarves use the Armok's Hammer method, outlined here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56305.175

I'll claim a dwarf form the first migrant wave.  Name him Keldor, and make him the chief navigator, responsible for guiding the submarine through underground caverns, whenever the situation arises.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:38:52 am »

I want in. Can I claim the sheriff? let me smack the Dwarf-bitches around

Krimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 08:49:56 am »

Psh,  Real dwarfs wait till winter freezes the ocean dig through the ice get what work they can done before it thaws and waits a year to un-flood their submarine.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 02:06:59 pm »

9th slate, 1051
I have decided to keep a journal. and so I am. We have mined ourselves a cozy home, as we prepare to complete the king's bizarre mandate. We haven't found gold yet. Yet. The surveyor told us we had a 100% of gold here. Let's see if he's right. We breached a cavern the other day. My field guide to caverns told me it was cavern level two. There is also a downward passage there to level three. Though, we must wonder... How did we pass level one?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 02:32:02 pm »

I'd love to be dwarfed if possible. General Melagius/Melagius for the name.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 03:29:41 pm »

I want a dwarf there!

Cook or/and Brewer. Name's Haspen, of course.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 05:33:49 pm »

Make sure you mine out some pitchblende so that you can make it a nuclear submarine!

Oh, and drydock is for pansies and elves.  Real dwarves use the Armok's Hammer method, outlined here:

I'll claim a dwarf form the first migrant wave.  Name him Keldor, and make him the chief navigator, responsible for guiding the submarine through underground caverns, whenever the situation arises.
Look at my ship and say that again, I dare ya. I had problems working on the ship anytime I got ambushed, before and after setting up the walls. And the other GCS (Birds and cave swallowmen) kept harassing my guys one time or another as they were building. BTW, getting hailstorms of arrows flying your way when boarding or exiting the ship is rather frightening a few stories in the air.

Anyway, sign me up. I'm ready to take on some blue red meanies.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:37:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 09:24:38 pm »

Oooh, can I be a dwarf? Make me a crutch-walker axe-dwarf. The submarine needs a security detail of course.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 09:26:23 pm »

Ringo! ;)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 10:11:59 pm »

I'll take a dwarf named Kandor.

Torpedodwarf, or any other weapons the sub may have. It will have weapons, right?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 10:47:24 pm »

I'll take a dwarf named Kandor.

Torpedodwarf, or any other weapons the sub may have. It will have weapons, right?

Hmmm i like this idea, i switch my sub job to a artilary matinance job (aka moving the ammo, repairs etc), if it does have weapons. I always had an idea for that sub i once was going to make but i only got the 2 bottem layers done (it was a 7 Z lvl sub):

####
/ooo/<
####

KEY:
#-Wall
o-Floor
/-flood gate
<-Balista/torpedo

The basic concept is have the man on the gun, pull a lever connected to the first gate, opening the shute. Then pull the other one. As soon as the gate opens PAUSE THE GAME and tell the gun to fire at will. As soon as the shot has been made, pull both levers if you have 2 dwarves locked in the control room. If you dont, pull the outside one. The second one is only a back up but should still be pulled.

I'm not shure if this will work as i never got to try it and i dont know how ammo reacts to water but it SHOULD work.  :D

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »

You can also have a longer torpedo chute for more reliability.
I'd like to be dwarfed, please. Caboc the Record Keeper/Broker

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »

Look at my ship and say that again, I dare ya. I had problems working on the ship anytime I got ambushed, before and after setting up the walls. And the other GCS (Birds and cave swallowmen) kept harassing my guys one time or another as they were building. BTW, getting hailstorms of arrows flying your way when boarding or exiting the ship is rather frightening a few stories in the air.

Anyway, sign me up. I'm ready to take on some blue red meanies.

Given that the Armok's Gauntlet was never designed to be in the water in the first place, the term "dry dock" really doesn't apply.  Building an airship in the water, then draining the water afterward so that it is flying would be strange and counterproductive, even for dwarves.

I think the closest analogue to building in drydock for an airship would be to build it underground, and then remove the mountain surrounding it.  Since Armok's Gauntlet was built in the air, exposed to the elements and to goblins, I would definitely say that it was not constructed in "dry dock".  Therefore my statement stands. 8)
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: 1 [2] 3