Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Hoo yeah, what a game! Time for some feedback!

<< < (2/2)

Solara:
quote:Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Agreed on mineral distribution balance issues:  It's very bad at the moment.  Pre-Z axis version was very well balanced, this version just plain -isn't- balanced.</STRONG>I have to disagree with this - the old version with such similar distribution, the good stuff always being deeper, was just too formulaic and game-like and meant that every fortressed progressed pretty much the exact same way. You might as well complain about the loss of the sheer cliff face and the old river-chasm-magma setup.With the way things are now everything is about location, which frankly is more realistic and IMO more appropriate for a sandbox type of game such as this. It's a great feeling never quite knowing exactly what you're going to get when you hit the embark key, and I've had just as much fun building an aboveground village and adjusting to life on a map with nothing but trees and dirt and no stone or metals to speak of as I have lucking out on an absolutely perfect dwarven paradise made of limestone and magnetite.

Sowelu:
The current mineral distribution is an excellent sandbox, but the formulaic 'game-like' thing is exactly what I miss.  In the old version, "deeper" meant more danger and more reward.  In this version, it doesn't mean much of anything.Of course, I'm still adjusting.  It's a different style, is all.

Mechanoid:
Please realise that the game has actual geology now. Iron isn't found 100% of the time, and neither is copper, or silver, or any of the other ores. However, if you look for areas that have specific rock types, you're likely to find their associated minerals somewhere in the map. Of course, once trading is improved (requesting more minerals, etc) you'll be able to fully compensate for your fortress' geological failures.Also note that many ores are no longer worth as much as they once were, and because of the new geology, the only place you're likely to find massive amounts of gemstones are in the mineral veins. I struck a native gold vien and nearby were gemstones, while in a gold ore vien there were none. As always, it could also be possible that the map was merely generated that way, and could have very few gemstones simply by bad luck.

RPB:
quote:Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>The current mineral distribution is an excellent sandbox, but the formulaic 'game-like' thing is exactly what I miss.  In the old version, "deeper" meant more danger and more reward.</STRONG>Personally I always found the cave river to be much more dangerous than the chasm or magma (of course, all three could be dealt with once you knew how).I like the variety of materials between sites now, but a few things do seem to be a bit off. I'm finding clumps of native aluminum all over the place, but over the course of all my testing forts and a couple of serious attempts I have found a grand total of two, count 'em, two gems. And I say "gems" but really I mean "semiprecious stones". I thought naturally occuring aluminum was supposed to be insanely rare. It does occur in pretty small pockets instead of full-sized veins, but those pockets appear to be among the most commonly occuring metals in my experience.

Talith:
i find microcline in huge quantities, and it seems to be quite common.  Although the color suggests otherwise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version