Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Food thefts  (Read 3513 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Food thefts
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:07:42 pm »

Whenever I settle on a beach, I get messages about Cavern creatures, namely Giant rats and moles, stealing food I didn't bring along on embark. Is this a bug?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Food thefts
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:13:02 pm »

Thatīs normal...
civilized creatues in the caverns (for example antmen) usually have foodstuff lying around...
thanks to the greediness of yoru dwarves everythingon the terrain of their fortress counts as belonging to the dwarf fortress
(including the food- and other stuff of any xxxmen within the caverns)
and therefore everytime a creature steals food from some of these xxxmen, it counts as theft from your fortress (although, technically one should assume that the food belongs to the xxxmen)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:13:36 pm »

Nuh uh. Undergound tribes have food with them. I know this from Traveling underground in adventure mode, and sleeping among the snailmen and borrowing their food.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

ASnogarD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:39:48 am »

LOL

So thats whats been happening ... d-oh , I didnt really take into account what was stolen...just read stole and I rage...

I usually have food issues despite having a dedicated fisherman hauling out turtles (and I do prepare them) or have my farmer (without a farm yet) gather plants routinely because I take too long to set up my farm.
I take too long because I am too finnicky about what goes where, I end up setting 3 levels for waterworks, 5 level for the farms, 7 level for crafts , 12 level for housing and dining rooms but...

It takes ages to clear out the rocks from the farm plot and water canals , and I dont use the dump option too often ( its more a challenge to clear rocks without using a glitch ), and just when my food is really low I get a +19 dwarf migration (just when the work is done and food is low these bums come to eat my meager stores and pollute my fort).

I embark with a lot of food to carry me through the time it takes to set up a farm, and seeing xxx food type getting nicked by buzzards or cave moles 5 frames after starting is rage inducing  :P

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:14:13 am »

I always make some temporary farm plots on the surface to grow some berries to keep my dwarves fed/drunk while I make my fort.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:24:58 am »

I always make some temporary farm plots on the surface to grow some berries to keep my dwarves fed/drunk while I make my fort.
And, if you get sunberries from the biome or traders,  these are a good idea to keep going all the time.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:30:20 am »

I always use aboveground farms, and wall em off

works great so fay.