Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quit the game at any time 9with or without save)  (Read 505 times)

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quit the game at any time 9with or without save)
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:41:00 pm »

I'd still like to see a menu option for simply exiting the game without any further questioning.  Sometimes I open the wrong fort accidentally, or need to reset to a previous save, and sometimes I just want to close the game right away.    Seems like a practical enough command, but more a decorative one since it doesn't affect game play.

Thanks.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Quit the game at any time 9with or without save)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

If you play in Linux under Wine, you can close your shell and the game immediately exits.
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

You can also just ctrl+alt+delete in windows and it closes fine.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

The thing is, a fast-save like that leaves the game world in an unusuable state.  This is fine if you know what you're doing and plan to restore to a backed-up save, but it would probably cause problems for a lot of new players who have no idea that "quit NOW!" will corrupt their save files.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »

I think the point of not being able to quit without saving is to make the game more challenging. It's like nethack. If you make a mistake, you can't just go "oh well, i'll just reload my old save game." if your dwarves die, they are dead forever!

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

i would love to see this, as many times i start an area just to take a look at it, or play around with it, and have to resort to ctrl+alt+delete to end the process so it doesn't save.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

I'm with GauHelldragon.  If you want to "quit NOW!", close it down with task manager and restore from a backup (since you'll get an inflate error -3 if you close it down without saving or restoring from backup).

Legitimate users should always quit and save, because the game world is supposed to be self-consistent and linear.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin