Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: This belongs in a museum  (Read 28774 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: This belongs in a museum
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 01:27:43 pm »

Can you make it accept only artifact-quality stuff? That would balance out the skill gain by studying at it.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

ashta_ku

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 05:36:33 pm »

Wow, congratulations, you've just convinced me to abort a worldgen just to install this mod. I have been looking for something like this for ages. Bravo!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 09:04:00 pm »

AWESOME IDEA BRO
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 11:39:05 am »

Fantastic, well-executed concept.  If it's cool, I'd like to include this in Dwarf Chocolate.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »

I rather like this idea. I have a rock crystal bucket that's just dying to be put on display.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 05:19:37 pm »

I rather like this idea. I have a rock crystal bucket that's just dying to be put on display.

You know you could make a well with it, right?

In any event, this is great. Are you certain that it increases the value of the room?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 10:46:06 pm »

You know you could make a well with it, right?

No water on the map, even in the cavern.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 12:38:00 pm »

You can still make the well, it just won't be functional.

EDIT: Pardon what may be a silly question, but is simply adding that code to the raws enough to make it appear in-game? I have very little experience with modding so far.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:54:08 pm by SenorPiquante »
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 02:52:40 pm »

EDIT: Pardon what may be a silly question, but is simply adding that code to the raws enough to make it appear in-game? I have very little experience with modding so far.

Specifically to the building_custom.txt   . I wasn't able to add them to a game in progress, even with adding them to the raws the game copies with each save. So your best bet would be adding them to the raws and them generating a new world.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 03:53:52 pm »

Because you need to add permitted buildings in the entity file, it requires to make a new game as any change to the entity file.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 04:10:58 pm »

I hope this ends up in vanilla. And I hope that when it does, the building's menu includes a "Read Plaque" option that displays the item's story as in an engraving.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »

Specifically to the building_custom.txt   . I wasn't able to add them to a game in progress, even with adding them to the raws the game copies with each save. So your best bet would be adding them to the raws and them generating a new world.
Because you need to add permitted buildings in the entity file, it requires to make a new game as any change to the entity file.

Thanks! My current fort is about to be slaughtered by goblins and trolls, so I think I'll be making one soon  :P
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 07:15:56 pm »

cant wait to put some goblin, elven and ocasional urist the cat's head on a diplay :D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 08:49:33 am »

Finally, a good use for all the decorated skull totems in my fort.

Edit: Can this method be used to make 'display case' objects out of items in your fort which then go into a larger custom workshop called a museum?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:06:07 am by forsaken1111 »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:33 am »

Any sort of reaction would destroy the input ingredients, which would rather defeat the purpose. And I'm not aware of any way to build true custom objects (I know of some wacky 'its the fruit of a nonexistent plant' type stuff, but nothing with its own type) although I'm hoping the next post will prove me wrong on that front...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5