Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Should excavated soil be hauled to a spoil heap ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Morlark:
Actually, I was thinking that since we've got clay and all now, it would be kinda cool if there was a pottery profession. I mean, think about it, we've already got kilns which are only useful for one thing. It'd be nice if they got a bit more use.

Seryntas:
That would provide a very workable alternative for wooden barrels for booze, too.

axus:
Agree, but Toady will probably wait to do it "right".  Things like soil, mud, clay, and sand piles do not stick together like boulders.  A dwarf can't carry a pile of sand like he can a mined boulder.  They're going to need a large bag, or a wheelbarrow.  Worst case scenario, they're doing to need a shovel instead of a mining pick... hope it doesn't come to that!

Dame de la Licorne:
So we can use amphoras for the liquid stuff instead of (or maybe in addition to) wooden barrels.  Since we can't mark specific barrels as exclusively for something, having pottery (amphoras!!!) for the liquid would make the designations easier.  My main problem tends to be too much food, not enough barrels (my woodworkers can't make them fast enough) so no barrels for beer etc because they get targeted for food storage almost immediately upon completion.  Bit annoying really.

JT:
quote:Originally posted by axus:
<STRONG>Agree, but Toady will probably wait to do it "right".  Things like soil, mud, clay, and sand piles do not stick together like boulders.  A dwarf can't carry a pile of sand like he can a mined boulder.  They're going to need a large bag, or a wheelbarrow.  Worst case scenario, they're doing to need a shovel instead of a mining pick... hope it doesn't come to that!</STRONG>This, I think, is the best plan and I imagine Toady has at least given it some thought.You can mine through soil with a pick.  You just can't haul it with a pick.  So I would say that the haulers -- anyone with the Soil Hauling labour -- would be the ones with shovels, and they would use wheelbarrows (if they had them), bins (as an alternative), or buckets (as a worst-case scenario).I really, really look forward to the day where stuff left on the ground causes slowdowns in people walking over them.  Even a simple shirt left on the floor poses a hazard (don't want to slip and fall if the cloth slides when you step on it) which can slow down someone by 50% or more, so I'd hate to imagine how bad a stone block would be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version