Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Solar System  (Read 7132 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: The Solar System
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 11:28:31 pm »

Name is nice, though it seems a little "off" for me. Though it's a good name.

Yeh... I translated it into Japanese. Means "Green Wind".

Blatant GalCiv II reference there..... Not that I'll vote against it, and we have a couple of million years of planet formation to get through.

I've never actually played GalCiv II...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »

Well, since there's not much else we can do right now but collide bodies. NEXT TURN.

And then the star was named Aokaze. It's name guaranteed to be known to all who see it.

Five hundred thousand more years pass. Many planetoids are formed. And many gas giants.

What are the most notable/major bodies in the system? (Meaning, which bodies are you going to follow, what are they like, where are they located, and what is their name)?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 11:39:04 pm »

Name is nice, though it seems a little "off" for me. Though it's a good name.

Yeh... I translated it into Japanese. Means "Green Wind".

Blatant GalCiv II reference there..... Not that I'll vote against it, and we have a couple of million years of planet formation to get through.

I've never actually played GalCiv II...

In GalCiv II, there is a race called the Torians and their homeworld is Toria or Tori, forget exactly. Anyways, I think the name you made for the star is a good one.

What type of star is this one most similar to? Just asking for a reference point, thats all.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 11:42:32 pm »

tori means bird in Japanese!

no one is referencing anyone here!

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 11:45:10 pm »

I don't know what to reference it to. It's a middle point between a blue giant and our sun (In correct colors it should be white). It's hotter than our sun (x4 as hot) and three times as large. It's quite stable, half as many solar flares per day as our sun.

Also, just thought I'd say this: You can have dwarf stars, like brown dwarfs. Though they may cause some problems.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 11:51:58 pm »

tori means bird in Japanese!

no one is referencing anyone here!

Oh, cool, didn't know that. They were an amphibian race though.

@Tarran: So something like an F class I guess.

As for planets, lets form a gas giant that is a bit bigger than Jupiter in the habitable zone of the star (or one thats already there) and give it protomoons (at least one or more) that are about the size of earth, among other smaller sized protomoons.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:59:41 pm by smjjames »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 01:30:55 am »

Slowly, the gas clumped together to form a gas giant! it orbits the habitable zone, and pulls in a large amount of planetoids, though most asteroids are pulled into the gas giant before they can settle in a ring. It has two ear-... Well, one earth sized moon. the second one was knocked by a planetoid further out, to the cold end of the habitable zone. Well, you did expect that to happen right?

The moon is tidally locked to the gas giant. It has huge amounts of volcanic activity due to the pull of the gas giant.

The planet is being bombarded heavily by asteroids. It has traces of an atmosphere. It has a small planetary ring. It has basic plate tectonics.

What now, planet builders?

Spoiler: Da system (click to show/hide)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »

Let's see, on my wishlist:

Trojans near the Lagrange points of our gas giant and a thin ring of leftovers from the moon that got slung out.
Several smaller inner planets. They'd probably be boiling hot since they're quite close to the star and that one's hot as well.
Outer asteroid belt as a source of asteroids and comets on the edges of the drawn system.
A gas-'giant' much smaller then the current one but still larger then the rocky planet, positioned between said asteroid belt and the habitable planet. It's tilted 90 degrees, like Uranus and is tidal locked with a single moon that's about 90% of earth's diameter and very frigid

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 10:23:43 pm »

I am going to make a suggestion using the whole of my scientific knowledge*: Lets have something like volcanoes erupt upon the two planets to fill them with atmosphere.

*I know nothing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 10:41:16 pm »

I am going to make a suggestion using the whole of my scientific knowledge*: Lets have something like volcanoes erupt upon the two planets to fill them with atmosphere.

*I know nothing.
Which two planets?

Also: turn up when I feel like it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 12:49:03 am »

Slowly, the gas giant pulled Trojans in. Forever enslaved to the giant's gravity.

Out of the clouds, several planets. The inner one is eternally molten, twice as large as Mercury. The next is akin to Mercury. The third is seven times as large as the earth, it's large gravity pulls in many asteroids, it is quickly enveloped in clouds of greenhouse gasses. Then a forth one, right between the third planet and the gas giant, it is ripped apart by the alternating gravity, leaving a cluster of molten pieces.

Slowly, the gas giant flings many asteroids into a large belt at the edge of the system.

Then, a small gas (ice) "giant" is created with a moon, though the gravitational pull of Aokaze overwhelms the small gravity of the gas (ice) giant, and pulls the moon into orbit of the cold planet, slinging the planet slightly closer to Aokaze. The moon is half the size of the cold planet.

Slowly, the cold planet solidifies.

NAMES ARE NEEDED FOR A LOT OF PLANETS BOYS. GET TACTICAL, MARINES CREATIVE, PLAYERS!
What now?

Spoiler: Our system (click to show/hide)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 03:40:24 pm »

The rock-planet should become another one of the gas giant's moons.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 04:21:12 pm »

The rock-planet should become another one of the gas giant's moons.
Is that a question or a action?
Pages: 1 2 [3]