Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Old & Huge World generation - Or; This made my laptop cataconic  (Read 9171 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old & Huge World generation - Or; This made my laptop cataconic
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2010, 09:49:38 am »

They always seem to crash around the same amount of memory usage.

Gee, I wonder why.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2010, 04:27:46 pm »

I can make it to about 5000 years in a large world, so long as I cull historical figures.
It takes about 12 hours.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2010, 12:07:43 am »

It seems as if we have reached some kind of consensus on this...
Do we have a region with at least 5000 years on the DFFD yet? :D
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2010, 05:46:01 am »

I found out I could do 5000 years because it crashed on its way to 6. I wasn't taking ANOTHER 12 hours to re-do it.
Not yet, anyways.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

sadis

• Bay Watcher
  • This is Personal Text, please don't use it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2010, 03:36:53 pm »

This got me intrigued and I had to try it. After trying some worldgen settings to reduce memory consumption during generation, I managed to create 10,000 year old world based on [LARGE ISLAND].

Purposeful changes from default [LARGE ISLAND] are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Full info is map, gen param, history and sites & pops. Also, save for those interested.

Most not-memory-saving changes have been made to create flavor to a world without megabeasts or other Fun stuff. I didn't have time to explore legends or export info, but for some reason number of living units in the end was quite low, somewhere around 5k. It was as high as 15k near year 4,000.

My settings were quite strict and left me with a lot of memory space wasted. I didn't note it anywhere, but I recall that DF used about 900 MB in the end, which would mean that I can use almost 1 GB more before crash (based on common sense, my own testing and your observations). I might have time to run another worldgen some time tomorrow with maybe another layer of caverns, less rivers and some megabeasts.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »

RESULT! Nice world, too :D

In the year of 10 000, there's only five nations left on the face of The Everlasting World. 
The Realm of Flying and The Realm of Liberation, two human civilizations on separate continents.
The Immoral Dungeon directly borders The Realm of Liberation, but The Most Evils dominate its own landmass. A third nation is situated far south from The Realm of Flying, albeit on the same continent. The Confusing Wickedness is the largest empire in this era. They are all three goblin civilizations.
The Muscular Tool is found remotely to the east of The Immoral Dungeon, and it's the last dwarven civilization.

Ūsbu Ozobaspuz Snelomulu Smas is a goblin law-giver of The Most Evils, and the oldest civilized being in existence. He was born in 1, and has continued to live for 9 millennia and ninehundred and ninety one years unhindered. Save for an attack by a dragon, that made him lose a tooth, he has mostly been travelling to and from the depths of the world.

The Immoral Dungeon, on the other hand, has a human law-giver of 93 years...
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

sadis

• Bay Watcher
  • This is Personal Text, please don't use it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 03:23:09 am »

I've been quite busy this last week and had limited time to do more worldgens, but I've run some to find out the limits.

I've found out that it's possible to get a 10,000 year old world without culling historical figures, but it requires minimizing events. Which means minimizing fighting, so amount of titans, demons and civilizations should be pretty low.  It would probably help to also reduce amount of megabeasts, but I don't know how to do that. World will be pretty empty, but at least it will be generated in reasonable amount of time (maybe around two hours for 2,20GHz Core 2 Duo while doing other stuff at the same time, if you get it to run until the end year).

These setting have occasionally worked for me, but it seems to be highly dependent on luck:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also run some more populated, but culled worlds, but generating them takes so much time that collecting data is sloooow. I might have time to run one this weekend and I'm pretty confident it will reach end year. If so, I will post more data with some example worlds (both culled and not).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:24:44 am by sadis »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]