Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names  (Read 48671 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song: "Elves Stink"
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 04:06:24 am »

What would be cool is if that guy who does that Kickass Scott/Dwarven Accent (Rainseeker yes???) would sing it too... Then We would have the National Anthem or the Starting movie Song for the Game...

Imagine a few years in time and the game gets more and more 'better' (lack of a better word there) and it requires an intro Movie... This Song would be perfect...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mikko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 04:26:01 am »

Holy balls. If someone finishes this and puts a Youtube video, I will be HAPPEH DORF

I probably won't do a video but tomorrow when I'm not at risk of waking up my housemates I'll probably record it and post an mp3 :P
OH YES.
but no matter how awesome this song is, I still love elves.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 07:40:10 pm »

Well I recorded all the guitar stuff but I have a bit of a cold and am phlegmed up to hell. So no vocals. But instead I set up a fiddle line where the vocals should be! :D It's kind of crappy and out of time because I just slapped it out on my keyboard really quick without bothering to perfectly line up each note but it's good enoguh that you can follow along.

Download here! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2355

You can sing along if'n ya likes. I figure 'Blood For The Blood God' was as good a name as any.

Spoiler: Full Lyrics (click to show/hide)

If anyone can sing well (or even better, in a dwarven voice) I can put up a copy without the vocal fiddle and you can sing over it and post that! And then we can all have a pint.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 07:58:25 pm »

Dude, that's awesome. We should make an album of DF songs.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 08:12:06 pm »

The beat is amazing mate. I can easily imagine the words fitting the cords and each bar...
I say congrats on that. Now if only we can nab someone with a great singing voice. Dwarven Voice or both...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 05:57:08 am »

should get a group of slightly tipsy and not necessarily good singers for it.
to keep the feel of a proper drinking song.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Davie

• Bay Watcher
  • The King of Explodia
    • View Profile
    • I draw stuff here.
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 03:52:11 pm »

This is brilliant.  Sadly, my voice isn't deep enough to be properly dwarfy, else I'd happily down a beer or two and sing it.
Goddamn wizards.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 09:50:24 pm »

O_o

WOW-  You guys are really great!  I was hoping for maybe half a dozen verses by now, but this is AMAZING!!!

I'll just struggle to keep up with the vast influx in the opening post.

P.S.  Cacame's off-limits.
EDIT: Just noticed this.  Darn.  I guess my verse can be stricken from the competition.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nah, that's fine: I was only worried about starting a flame war if someone insulted him.  Ye can go ahead and put this in, if ye can but write a few more verses to connect him as the bane of elves (don't mention the fact that he's related to one!)

By the way, do you think you can fit some of the other guys' verses into your version of the song, Retro?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:11:29 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 10:44:42 pm »

Hah, I don't really feel like recording that really repetitive guitar progression again but I can probably cut some stuff around to add verses digitally and edit in other verses as we get them. The Cacame one fits the rhyming convention, but it's too short and doesn't tell a story yet! So when we have more to that one I'll extend the mp3 a bit.

And could we get the thread's title changed from Elves Stink to Blood for the Blood God? Elves Stink is a nice sentiment but not that enticing :P

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: An EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song: "‼Elves‼ for Armok"
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 07:15:34 pm »

Naa, you don't need to cut anything out unless we have a REALLY good substitute; so essentially, it'll come down to a vote.

Also, "Blood for the Blood God" is already taken (by Warhammer).  How about "‼Elves‼ for Armok"?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:24:40 pm by Arkenstone »

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 09:03:43 am »

You know, just the music Retro made (without the singing) really reminds me of what plays constantly on in the background in fortress mode.  Do you think Toady would mind putting it on the playlist for version 1?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 09:28:13 am »

Sorry, I should've clarified - cutting isn't in reference to cutting out something, it'd just be chopping the guitar part into bits and copying some bits to add verse/chorus chunks without bothering to record anything new.

And I don't think Toady would include it in the DF package, but if you'd like just the guitar part without the awkward out of time virtual instruments, I can upload it for you :P

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 12:32:02 pm »

This is just epic...

Haven't downloaded the clip yet, though if needed I could record some bass to it when i get around to buy new one. Last one didn't like the gig our band had...  :-[ ;D

Oh, and could do some singing as well, though I don't think death metal style fits here.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:36:48 pm by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:29 pm »

P.S.  Cacame's off-limits.
EDIT: Just noticed this.  Darn.  I guess my verse can be stricken from the competition.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nah, that's fine: I was only worried about starting a flame war if someone insulted him.  Ye can go ahead and put this in, if ye can but write a few more verses to connect him as the bane of elves (don't mention the fact that he's related to one!)

In that case...

I'll tell you a tale what can make an elf cry
A Dwarf King whose hammer did make long-ears fly!
Bloodstained engravings recorded on slade
Speak of the wrath of Cacame Awemedinade

Riding his skeletal wyvern to battle
Cacame drove the elves before him like cattle
No mercy for the heathens who ate his dear wife
His INFINITE RAGE bringing misery and strife

When we heard of his vow to see every elf dead
We made him our King! Put a crown on his head
It menaced with cinnabar spikes of blood red
Elves who saw pissed their pants, it inspired such dread

With magma and steel, he led us to glory
With tankard in hand, he made Dwarf history
The elves he slaughtered in manner most gory
Their kingdom's fall bringing end to this story

I could add in a verse about the Colossus of Cacame, but I don't think it would fit with the theme of "Elves suck".

Epic tune, Retro!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:01:55 pm by Lonewolf I »

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 06:31:26 pm »

nice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9