Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how often is the game updated?  (Read 1420 times)

blueeyedlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how often is the game updated?
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:44:38 am »

I was wondering how soon I could see some of the goals on the development come to realization.  I really don't want to have to wait 5 years to be able to send out armies and sieges.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: how often is the game updated?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:49:33 am »

I wouldn't forsee another major release for at least 1 more year, but that's my hopeful side speaking.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:42:19 am »

It's been "tomorrow -- I mean next week -- I mean September ... (of next year)" for as long as most folks playing the game can remember.  Bugfixes happen faster.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 02:02:20 am »

Yeah, don't hold your breath.  The last major release before this one was in 2008.  The game's got an amazingly small dev team and is epic in scope.  We're all lucky Toady hasn't already burnt out and abandoned this project.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 02:04:45 am »

It's updated when it's updated.

At the current rate, he's getting a bit more than three goals per year - eight years, 31 goals (out of 100 required for a 1.0 release). So, at this rate, the game will be at 1.0, with everything in the goals, by sometime around 2030*. However, allowing for the complexity in some of them, it could be much longer. Just a rough estimate, though, and I have no idea of the actual complexity for most of them. It could get faster, it could get slower, probably no one knows.

So no, you probably won't have to wait five years to send out armies and sieges. It will probably be quite a bit longer, depending on where they are in the implementation order, and how complex they actually end up being. Along with all the stuff necessary to support them, in how the goals fit together.

* I cannot emphasize the back-of-the-envelope nature of this too much, and that I'm trying to make something with a variable rate look linear. I would not bet on it; I would not suggest making this math the basis of anything. That said, I'm hoping for 1.0 by 2060; gives me something to look forward to once I retire. Also, it's (somewhat, maybe not) likely to happen!

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 03:37:48 am »

2060 ? Chances are many of us including Toady will be dead before then, lol.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 05:20:18 am »

meh, toady easily has another 200 years left in him.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 06:27:07 am »

I concur.

Also, OP's impudence and childish impatience makes me laugh.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Jumpp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 10:27:46 am »

I concur.

Also, OP's impudence and childish impatience makes me laugh.

You're being a bit harsh there, don't you think?  He asked a perfectly reasonable question, in a not-at-all-whiny tone.  The charge of "impudence," honestly, makes you sound a bit like a slavish fanboy rushing to defend the reputation of Great Leader.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 12:15:22 pm »

Ha ha, indeed my friend, indeed.

I merely mocked the dramatic tone of the OP who is growing impatient (and by all means rightously!) by the lack of the features he desires. I beg thee forgivness, I am just a lowly fanboy with a mind to shallow to see how Toady is intenionaly slacking off and releasing bug-ridden versions for his own amusement.
But now I see.
Thank you.
I shall be fanboy no more.
OP, my dearest, I suggest you demand your money back and inform the media! This atrocity should not go unpinished!
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 03:54:41 pm »

No, really.  He asked a reasonable question and got a reasonable answer and thus far hasn't complained about it.  Until he does, I think you've jumped the gun.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 04:19:33 pm »

OP, my dearest, I suggest you demand your money back and inform the media! This atrocity should not go unpinished!

Don't be a dick.
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 04:51:30 pm »

My guess is that OP is new to Dwarf Fortress, and so is not aware of it's long history and the scope of it's development.

Still, the tone is a little impatient when he says: "I really don't want to have to wait 5 years". For that I think Sinistar is at least slightly justified in his first comment.