Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will the new windows version of DF be much different from now?  (Read 3122 times)

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other than bug fixes, I was wondering if there will be much of a difference to the visuals and gameplay, i.e. added features etc to the next version of DF which hopefully will be out tomorrow? I know save games would be compatible but will I miss out on anything if I start a game today as opposed to when the next realese comes out. Thanks!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will the new windows version of DF be much different from now?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »

It'll all be bug fixes for awhile. New features won't be added until this current feature release is stable enough for most to tolerate.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 12:09:21 am »

I think the question might be more, what's coming with this "code merge"?
Being able to resize the window and zoom with the mouse wheel are the two things I remember hearing about.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:27:53 am »

I think the question might be more, what's coming with this "code merge"?
Being able to resize the window and zoom with the mouse wheel are the two things I remember hearing about.
Everything that was included in the 40d# series, which includes those two things, also, slightly better FPS, etc.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 01:30:46 am »

Support for PNG's with transparency as well, which makes for some nice looking tilesets.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:56:34 am »

Wow ok thanks. Almost seems like this game will be much better if I wait a while to play for it to develop.

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 05:04:46 am »

Well the last release which added 'new features' was obviously 2010, but the one before that was in 2008 ( I think thats what someone said anyway ), basically the patches now will all be bug fixes, smoothing out and improving the new features in the recent 2010 release, along with things like performance etc. Though you would probably be better off playing the older 40d version until some more bugfixes are released for the 2010 version. But if you're waiting for 'new features', it seems you could be waiting a year or two, lol.

Seconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 10:54:06 am »

If by "new features" you mean the fixed versions of features that are already somewhat in the game, e.g, the military running smoothly and the damned dwarves training when I tell them to train, then you'll probably be looking  at a 1-4 week wait.  It probably would have been out by now but the Linux/Mac conversions have taken quite a bit of time.

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 02:28:52 pm »

Yep, I mean the current new features and bug fixes. Why do us PC people have to wait for our version while the Linux/Mac conversions are on going?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 02:43:04 pm »

Because the number of developers is one.

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 02:55:41 pm »

Right, so there are not separate downloads like a mac version download or a pc version download? If so why couldn't the pc version be up for download now while the mac version comes out when its ready? Why make the PC people wait for Mac? Unless its all rolled into one I mean.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 03:05:29 pm »

(a) Putting out one release is a surprising amount of boring busy work.  Putting out one release on three platforms is not much more work than one release on one platform.  Best to keep the three platforms in sync so you don't have to go through the process very often.

(b) The PC version is currently being worked on: the display stuff yields some improvements you might appreciate.

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 03:27:59 pm »

Oh neat! Thanks for filling me in too. Not sure what time zone Toady is in but from reading the latest dev post he said morning has rollled around so it sounds like he worked all night? Guess that means no chance for an update today since he is probably sleeping now :P

(a) Putting out one release is a surprising amount of boring busy work.  Putting out one release on three platforms is not much more work than one release on one platform.  Best to keep the three platforms in sync so you don't have to go through the process very often.

(b) The PC version is currently being worked on: the display stuff yields some improvements you might appreciate.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »

US Pacific, if other reports of his location are accurate.

Morning could be 1am or it could be the sun came up.  I won't hold my breath in either case.  Making programs work on more than one platform is a serious pain, and there's no telling if something he fixed on Linux or Mac broke the Windows version again.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »

Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.
Pages: [1] 2