Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Optimized food industry  (Read 1232 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Optimized food industry
« on: May 15, 2010, 10:24:56 am »

I recall reading a while back a forum post or wiki page where the author discussed how he keeps all seeds near his farming, and makes sure they never reach the dining hall -- and that he keeps all unprocessed food out as well, in favor of getting his kitchen to process it.

What's the best way to optimize food industry?  Should I always cook plump helmets to get the seeds?  What other optimizations should I make?

How do I specifically configure my stockpiles to achieve it?  I'm very confused about the numerous food options in the stockpile menu, and in particular, how to keep unprocessed food out of my dining hall.  Do I need to pick food types and have selected "u: Prepared food" ?

I have that selected now on a stockpile, but I see some Plump Helmets sitting in there.

It would probably least confusing if Prepared Food were a category under food.  As it is, how do I restrict a stockpile to it?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Optimized food industry
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:33:20 am »

If you cook (at the kitchen) plump helmets you will not get seeds. You only get seeds from plump helmets when they are either eaten raw or brewed.

Jumpp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 10:35:58 am »

What's the best way to optimize food industry?  Should I always cook plump helmets to get the seeds?  What other optimizations should I make?

Cooking plump helmets destroys the seeds.  Brewing them recovers the seed, plus several more besides.  Keeping enough plump helmet seeds won't generally be your problem.  Keeping the number of them to a reasonable level will be.  You'll want to occasionally enable the cooking of both plump helmets and plump helmet spawn (seeds) just to keep the numbers down. (edit: Ignore this bit.  See below.)

How do I specifically configure my stockpiles to achieve it?  I'm very confused about the numerous food options in the stockpile menu, and in particular, how to keep unprocessed food out of my dining hall.  Do I need to pick food types and have selected "u: Prepared food" ?

This one's easy.  Just deselect everything, and leave "u: prepared food" enabled.

I have that selected now on a stockpile, but I see some Plump Helmets sitting in there.

Deselect the plump helmets.  A stockpile set to accept processed food will accept processed food, regardless of the other settings on the stockpile, and regardless of what was used to make the food.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:48:12 am by Jumpp »

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:45:08 am »

You'll want to occasionally enable the cooking of both plump helmets and plump helmet spawn (seeds) just to keep the numbers down.

Seeds cap out at 200 per crop, which can all be stored in one barrel, so there isn't really a need to do this.

Seconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:47:44 am »

I noticed that you said, "Cooking plump helmets destroys the seeds."  Does that mean that cooking cave wheat doesn't destroy the seeds?  Or is it just that you process cave wheat before you cook it?

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:33:40 am »

u have to either brew or mill the cave wheat first... whhich leaves u with seeds

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:44:59 pm »

Cave Wheat, Sweet Pods, and Quarry Bushes are the best plants to grow if you plan on only having processed food in your dining areas; don't forget to grow pig tails either, you'll be needing a lot of thread for making bags to process all of these things.

A few querns, or powered millstones for the wheat and sweet pods, a couple Farmer's Workshops and threshers for the sweet pods and quarry bushes. Lots of bags too, unless you want to make Dwarven Syrup from the sweet pods; in that case you'll need to use barrels.

It takes a little more work than just growing plump helmets, but in the end it is far more rewarding.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »

cooking anything destroys the seeds.  I think all other means of processing plants recovers them however, including eating as mentioned above.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.