Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 430212 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:46:35 pm »

Welcome!

PerfectWorldDF is a graphical world designing tool for Dwarf Fortress. It allows you to modify your world_gen.txt file in a way that gives you a great deal of control of how worlds are generated. Normally, in order to generate an acceptable fantasy world, Dwarf Fortress generates maps randomly and rejects maps that don’t fulfill certain criteria specified in the world_gen.txt file. Using PerfectWorldDF, you can directly control much of this process and decide for yourself if this is the world you want to play with. There is an html manual incuded in the file to help get you started.

Any of you who frequent Civfanatics.com might have seen my map scripts for Civilization IV, Civilization IV: Colonization and some of the various mods like Fall from Heaven 2. I had a lot of technology sitting around, and as a huge Dwarf Fortress fan I decided to put some of it to use here as an expression of my fandom. The world_gen.txt file thankfully exposes direct map data that can be manipulated by an external map generator, and this allows a great deal of flexibility for map generation. Once you have something in PW that you like, you can export the map to the world_gen.txt file, start up Dwarf Fortress and watch your world come to life! Personally, I have had a lot of fun just generating maps and reading the legends and watching empires rise and fall during the world gen process. It’s another way to enjoy Dwarf Fortress.

You will also need this:

WorldGen.xml file for 40.09 thru 44.05:

Download here. Put this file in the same directory with PerfectWorldDF.

WorldGen.xml file for older versions of DF:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Known issue: Using PerfectWorldDF to generate DF's temperature maps is a bit mysterious. Setting the 'Poles' parameter to 'None' causes many biomes to not be created. It might be better for now to use DF's default temperature map generation.

Here are the screenshots:

Here is a diverse bunch of small worlds(65x65) I generated.

Here is a map with some of the new features from v1.1. This is the River Hungertribes the Cakes of Time uh... Valley.

Note: This is a Windows Forms application and as such requires the Microsoft .NET framework version 4.0 to be installed on the machine. For Linux and Mac users addictgamer has come to the rescue with the following link for running .NET apps on Linux. I can't give alot of support on this however since I know absolutely nothing about either of those platforms.

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

If you find any bugs please report them on this thread so I can fix them in the next release.

Version History:
1.9 - Fixed the lack of a scroll bar on the temperature map tab.

1.8 - Finally added the temperature map! Thanks to ToadyOne for giving us the option to control the poles!

1.7 - Now supports text based world gen tags. Increased the precision of the volcano slider to allow for easier placement of volcanoes on the volcanism map.

1.6 - Fixed a bug with the XML error checker so that badly formed XML won't just crash without a detailed message.

1.5 - Created an XML scheme so that users can add any worldgen tags that come up in future releases of DF.

1.4 - Cleaned up the disaster that was 1.3 by merging features from 1.2 and 1.3. Tweaked the colors on the 'zero volcanism' setting to make it more obvious.

1.3 - Added some new world gen parameters that were created in 31.14. Improved the feedback on the world gen export functions. I also undid my changes from 1.2 accidently, so get ready for 1.4.

1.2 - Added a slider for the level of zero volcanism. Improved mountain borders.

1.1 - Added the ability to import greyscale bitmaps to the elevation map. Added a third state to the coast buttons that will create a mountain border. Added support for non-square maps. Added the ability to click and drag any noisemap to adjust the position of it's features.

1.0 - Fixed a crash on the Biome screen. Fixed scrollbars for users with small screens. Fixed spelling of 'orographic' in world_gen export. Fixed export of CAVERN_LAYER_OPENESS_MAX tag. Fixed previous angle box setting not being restored.

0.99 - first launch! Oh no! It will be terrible and everyone will hate me!  :-[
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:32:51 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 05:53:08 pm »

Oooooh, shiny!

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 06:00:24 pm »

This means I can finally make my all evil glacier world, right?

Awesome. Thanks for making this :D
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:04:56 pm »

this made me a happier person

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 06:09:37 pm »

This means I can finally make my all evil glacier world, right?

Awesome. Thanks for making this :D

Weeeelll actually no. The temperature map is impossible to control so I left that one out, and good and evil is decided inside of DF, but you can do lots of other stuff.

My latest forts:

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 06:38:47 pm »

I have nothing to post but my gratitude. This is a really cool utility.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 08:17:10 pm »

This is quite the fun utility, really takes a lot of the guesswork out of world generation, and now I can create a properly chaotic world without having to reject or delete all the ones that aren't chaotic enough!

Also, I absolutely loved your Civ IV scripts.  They made for some quite realistic, yet non-earth maps, unlike most of the fractal-looking continents I'd end up with when using the other scripts.  (all the extra time it took to generate the maps was worth it)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:09:10 pm »

All I've got to say is... I love you.

I tried it out and after getting a grasp of how it works, I genned the EXACT location I've been wanting to play on. So yeah.

This is an amazing utility. I'll include it on my guide so I never lose the page.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Vector_Matt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:18:30 pm »

Note: This is a Windows Forms application and as such requires the Microsoft .NET framework version 3.5 to be installed on the machine. Sorry Linux and Mac users! I have no idea if this can be run on those platforms or how to do that.
You are correct, .NET doesn't work in Wine (yet), so *nix/Mac users won't be able to run it.
And of course my windows drive would die just a few days before this was released.  ::)

Neat looking app though. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow one of my siblings' computers for a bit to try it.

Any reason you're calling v0.99 instead of v1?
So...he's the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of Darth Vader?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:20:16 pm »

v0.99 because people start complaining about bugs in a v1.0 release? =-P It looks cooler too.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 09:57:58 pm »

0.99 because on a first release when I'm the only one who's given it a runthrough, there's got to be some major problem that I didn't see. I gotta have a certain amount of feedback to earn the 1.0.

Is the manual working? No broken links? I had some trouble with some accidental absolute references but I think I fixed them.

My latest forts:

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »

I didn't see anything wrong with, everything has worked so far. Only crash I've experienced was click on the map in the biome tab.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 01:03:07 am »

Do not fear, linux users!

http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/53582

PerfectWorldDf is an awesome program!

Edit: Found a bug?
On the "Elevation Map" page, "Fill in oceans smaller than:" covers part of the value box.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:06:02 am by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:06:56 am »

WOAHHHH
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 01:15:21 am »

Edit: Found a bug?
On the "Elevation Map" page, "Fill in oceans smaller than:" covers part of the value box.

Hmm, quick question. Does your Elevation Map tab look really different than the one in the screenshot on this post?

My latest forts:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54