Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 433383 times)

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2010, 07:17:08 pm »

Cool. Looking forward to trying out the new region.

I get very interesting results with Civilization Forge.

I am particularly pleased that in the worldgens I keep, Greenland seems to always be a Haunted or Terrifying glacier. It's Fun!

EDIT:

I made a mistake with the Volcanism map, and there were no sedimentary layers. This has been fixed, so make sure you are using the most recent version from DFFD (v2.3).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:44:27 pm by Shagomir »
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2010, 06:16:09 am »

This tool is awesome!  But I am utterly lost when using it.  I can follow the instructions with it, but when I try to make my own custom map I cannot fore the life of me figure out how to increase volcanism and the number of volcanoes!  Possibly I am just being an eedjit, but my poor rum-addled brain cannot wrap itself around it.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2010, 07:24:55 am »

This tool is awesome!  But I am utterly lost when using it.  I can follow the instructions with it, but when I try to make my own custom map I cannot fore the life of me figure out how to increase volcanism and the number of volcanoes!  Possibly I am just being an eedjit, but my poor rum-addled brain cannot wrap itself around it.

The actual fixed number of volcanoes is set in the world-gen params you can choose 0 to 200. On the volcanism map, all of the red areas have the possibility of being a volcano. So first you must set the number of volcanoes that you want, then you must make sure to have enough red squares to fit them to avoid map rejects. Does that clear it up?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:21:56 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 11, 2010, 09:17:26 am »

The actual fixed number of volcanoes is set in the world-gen params you can choose 0 to 200. On the volcanism map, all of the red areas have the possibility of being a volcano. So first you must set the number of volcanoes that you want, then you must make sure to have enough red squares to fit them to avoid map rejects. Does that clear it up?

It does!  Thank you so much.  Massively volcanic fortress, here I come!
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:07 pm »

Thanks for creating such an awesome tool for making that perfect map I would have spent hours of normal world-genning trying to find! I used the trick to get a volcano next to sedimentary layers and it turned out rather well. Before it took me 20 medium region generations and hours of looking to find a volcano next to a brook with trees and soil layers. I got a volcano, brook, aquifer, soil layers, plenty of marble, and even sand in one go! Not to mention the skeletal life running around...

Something really interesting happened that I thought others might be interested in. After a few minutes of gameplay I received a notice saying that there was a cavern collapse. The screen was centered deep below my fort, however. Using the DFhack toolset I revealed the underground. To my surprise, an aquifer was draining into an underground magma pool and cavern. The water and magma were combining to create unsupported obsidian floors, collapsing through the pool and making magma mist. Heh! I guess having so many contrasting layers in one map was doomed to have an odd effect.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2010, 07:42:30 am »

Thanks for creating such an awesome tool for making that perfect map I would have spent hours of normal world-genning trying to find! I used the trick to get a volcano next to sedimentary layers and it turned out rather well. Before it took me 20 medium region generations and hours of looking to find a volcano next to a brook with trees and soil layers. I got a volcano, brook, aquifer, soil layers, plenty of marble, and even sand in one go! Not to mention the skeletal life running around...

Something really interesting happened that I thought others might be interested in. After a few minutes of gameplay I received a notice saying that there was a cavern collapse. The screen was centered deep below my fort, however. Using the DFhack toolset I revealed the underground. To my surprise, an aquifer was draining into an underground magma pool and cavern. The water and magma were combining to create unsupported obsidian floors, collapsing through the pool and making magma mist. Heh! I guess having so many contrasting layers in one map was doomed to have an odd effect.
Ouch, I think that's gonna kill your framerate unless you can stabilize it.

My latest forts:

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2010, 09:35:32 am »

just putting the middle earth heightmap I use out here.

not as good as an already posted one, but useable

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2010, 11:35:56 am »

Ouch, I think that's gonna kill your framerate unless you can stabilize it.

@Cephalo
The entire cap of the pool is sealed now so no more cave ins. I'm still at my 100FPS cap even though the water is only halfway through filling the cavern. *Shrug* I guess my processor can handle it, although I'm sure if I were to let my FPS cap go freely as high as it can I would notice a decrease compared to similarly sized and featured maps.

@Japa

Heheh... "wall upon wall, battlement upon battlement, black, immeasurably strong, mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant...Barad-dûr, Fortress of Sauron". Sounds like something straight out of DF.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2010, 08:04:44 pm »

I cannot for the life of me seem to get sediment/flux near volcanoes.

I have no desire to dig down due to the huge FPS hit; anyone know how I can maximize my chances of getting a 'perfect' embark?

I'm following cephalo's directions but having zero luck regardless :(

Inigo Montoya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile Page
« Reply #264 on: August 20, 2010, 09:21:57 am »

Excellent, thank you.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not his own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 20, 2010, 05:50:12 pm »

I cannot for the life of me seem to get sediment/flux near volcanoes.

I have no desire to dig down due to the huge FPS hit; anyone know how I can maximize my chances of getting a 'perfect' embark?

I'm following cephalo's directions but having zero luck regardless :(

My instructions are more difficult on smaller maps. On a huge map you should have an easier time.

My latest forts:

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 20, 2010, 08:49:12 pm »

My instructions are more difficult on smaller maps. On a huge map you should have an easier time.

Alright, I'll try using a larger map

Mayara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2010, 05:49:24 pm »

I might have missed this reading through the thread but i noticed alot of my gens end up with large evil oceans :3. Any idea how to avoid that?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2010, 07:42:29 pm »

In the elevation tab there's a bar to control how much of the world is below sea level. Move that down to about 10% and there won't be much ocean. You can't really control the evil, though.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2010, 08:47:12 pm »

I might have missed this reading through the thread but i noticed alot of my gens end up with large evil oceans :3. Any idea how to avoid that?

If you have "0" for "Large Evil Region Count" or whatever the exact wording is, large regions should never be evil.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 54