Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 433401 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:12 pm »

Actually I'd like to do a more technical question. What function the program uses to compose the noise maps into the other maps (gradient, etc?). A bit unrelated but I'm trying to acheive some similar results on computer graphics fractrals but it is being more dificult than I expected.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2010, 12:46:16 am »

Actually I'd like to do a more technical question. What function the program uses to compose the noise maps into the other maps (gradient, etc?). A bit unrelated but I'm trying to acheive some similar results on computer graphics fractrals but it is being more dificult than I expected.

Generally speaking, it's all additive. This map + that map. The noise itself is made with Perlin noise, which uses bicubic interpolation on a noise (or some other noise-like) field.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:51:07 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2010, 03:20:13 pm »

Generally speaking, it's all additive. This map + that map. The noise itself is made with Perlin noise, which uses bicubic interpolation on a noise (or some other noise-like) field.

Hmm, but it normalizes values before adding so that the sum fits the 0-1 (or -1-1) interval I guess? I'm trying to do some planet texture generation fractrals to be more direction-oriented so I could have different biomes such as deserts, icecaps and etc to follow a mapped orientation. But it needs some noise and perfectworld implements this quite perfectly. thanks :)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2010, 03:38:14 pm »

Hmm, but it normalizes values before adding so that the sum fits the 0-1 (or -1-1) interval I guess? I'm trying to do some planet texture generation fractrals to be more direction-oriented so I could have different biomes such as deserts, icecaps and etc to follow a mapped orientation. But it needs some noise and perfectworld implements this quite perfectly. thanks :)

Eventually I normalize to 0 - 1, but only if necessary. If you're just adding stuff together you can usually normalize when it's all added up. In that sense it's more like an arithmetic average. For the noise field input in the Perlin I use (-1) - 1 so I can invert the negatives for a turbulence cusp. You could do the same thing with > or < 0.5 I guess.

My latest forts:

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 11, 2010, 04:16:09 pm »

Hello

I am having some PW trouble and was wondering if anyone could  help.  I am not sure what I have done to mess up my settings but anytime I create a world every place that is not a mountain has an aquifer.   Also, Elves keep taking over the world.  I thought it had something to do with rain or drainage but I keep messing with those with no change.

Other than that I have a couple requests.
1 Please put a link to the wiki in the 1st post.  I found it once but haven't been able to since.
2 Please add some legends and descriptions to the program.  What the colors mean and maybe a quick word on what each slider does.  For instance:

Percent below Sea Level
|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
<---More Water      More Land---->

Some are quite obvious to me but may not be to other folks.  I have no clue what others do.

Anyway, thanks for any help.  Cephalo, you have created a truly awesome thing here.  Thank You

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 12, 2010, 03:41:47 am »

I totally redid my North America worldgen. I think it's looking pretty good now.

Link to the Worldgen file download!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The uploaded file has Large, Medium, Small, and Pocket sizes for the worldgen, so you should be able to find a version that works for you. Only Large and Medium give really good results, Fun things happen on Small and Pocket.
Wow, mind if I use it for Wasteland mod? It looks tasty!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 12, 2010, 04:13:13 am »

I'm currently working on recreating Africa using this tool, but I'm having trouble with the rainfall map. The problem is, the program is extremely prone to crashing in painting mode. As a result, I've had to resort to genning random noise maps over and over until I get something vaguely like what I'm going for.

I tried to generated a rain shadow map, but I guess my source BMP isn't properly set up for this and I end up with a pretty much flat map.

Does anyone have any tips that would help this process?

Edit: With some perseverance, I managed to paint it for the most part, but it's pretty rough. Here's the biome map result so far:

I haven't painted the rivers and lakes in yet, but once I do, would anyone be interested in using it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:33:51 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #277 on: September 12, 2010, 11:56:37 am »

That's quite impressive. I might suggest shrinking the continent slightly so that the south pole doesn't freeze South Africa.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 12, 2010, 12:08:03 pm »

I'm currently working on recreating Africa using this tool, but I'm having trouble with the rainfall map. The problem is, the program is extremely prone to crashing in painting mode. As a result, I've had to resort to genning random noise maps over and over until I get something vaguely like what I'm going for.

I tried to generated a rain shadow map, but I guess my source BMP isn't properly set up for this and I end up with a pretty much flat map.

Does anyone have any tips that would help this process?

Edit: With some perseverance, I managed to paint it for the most part, but it's pretty rough. Here's the biome map result so far:

I haven't painted the rivers and lakes in yet, but once I do, would anyone be interested in using it?
To avoid the crashing, paint in short strokes.  I think the problem comes from too much of the map, especially the biome map, getting updated at once.  I ran into this problem a lot myself but once I limited myself to only painting a hundred tiles or less per click it stopped being a problem.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 13, 2010, 08:36:48 am »

This looks like it's made of win and awesome on so many levels! Will definately give this a spin once I get off work!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 13, 2010, 10:35:11 am »

To avoid the crashing, paint in short strokes.  I think the problem comes from too much of the map, especially the biome map, getting updated at once.  I ran into this problem a lot myself but once I limited myself to only painting a hundred tiles or less per click it stopped being a problem.

So you guys are actually getting crashes eh? Any perticular error messages popping up?

My latest forts:

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 13, 2010, 10:41:34 am »

So you guys are actually getting crashes eh? Any perticular error messages popping up?

I'll grab a screenshot when it happens to me next. Ironically, I've been trying to make it crash again today and it's suddenly working perfectly. :P
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2010, 05:20:55 am »

I totally redid my North America worldgen. I think it's looking pretty good now.

Link to the Worldgen file download!

The uploaded file has Large, Medium, Small, and Pocket sizes for the worldgen, so you should be able to find a version that works for you. Only Large and Medium give really good results, Fun things happen on Small and Pocket.
Wow, mind if I use it for Wasteland mod? It looks tasty!
Go ahead! Let me know if you need any help with adjusting it, as it might need more wasteland than it currently has :P
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 17, 2010, 09:54:30 am »

Here's the crash I just got when painting on the drainage map. It happens quite reliably when I'm painting with the Large brush along the top border of the map. I can avoid it by staying away from the edges. After crashing this way about seven times in a row, I no longer suspect it has anything to do with how quickly or wildly you paint; it's just whether you touch the border when you do.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9711/pwpainterror.jpg

Also, I'm done with Africa for now. It has a couple of problems but I'm mainly happy with it.

Worldgen link: http://www.box.net/shared/rj7kgcyhp2

There's a thin strip of sub-arctic conditions which I can't get rid of, even with a high min temperature setting. Secondly, rivers love forming across the Sahara for some reason, no matter how arid and dry I make it there. Hopefully someone who knows what they're doing better will be able to finish this up. :)

Features~

* Large world (257x257)
* Entire African landmass, island of Madagascar and Middle East region
* The Sahara desert, Sahel and Sudan regions, the Congo rainforest, and the Rift Valley
* The Great African Lakes and the Nile river
* Mostly hot throughout - colder at the extreme south
* Savagery distributed vaguely from top to bottom, with most savage regions occuring in Southern Africa.

Also, in the interests of getting some good embark spots, I tried using the volcanism tweak to get flux and volcanos to appear right next to eachother, but it doesn't appear to work. The flux is always too far away in another embark screen.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2010, 11:06:15 am »

Dang. I know that error. I fixed it somewhere else assuming that the fix would propogate through all the maps. Apparently there was an exception in this case (Hey, that's a pun! De-dum-dum.)

My latest forts:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54