Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 432548 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.6
« Reply #510 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:07 pm »

One more thing would make this perfect:
A 'discard all changes'  button, so i dont have to endlessly undo.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 05, 2012, 11:50:36 am »

Why is the sea on the right side suddenly look like that?

I want it to look like water, not some muddy landscape thing. >:(
This map looks great, could you give it for my DF Post-Apocalypse mod? I have a full world map, but this one suits the Fallout world much better.

Also I have this map:

Any way to make the weather gradient to go glacier-tundra-temperate-tropical-temperate-tundra-glacier? Right now the north is frozen and the Antarctic area is hot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 05, 2012, 12:33:16 pm »

Any way to make the weather gradient to go glacier-tundra-temperate-tropical-temperate-tundra-glacier? Right now the north is frozen and the Antarctic area is hot.

Nope whether its at the north or south is up to RNG (entirely random) =/ I wanted to have a hot equator and cold poles for the longest time, its the first thing I tried to get the generator to do. Maybe someone on the DF hack project could figure out how to tweak temperature values during world creation in memory but that's about the only way I think the community could figure it out.
I voted for BANANA!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 05, 2012, 12:37:12 pm »

can't you apply a reverse gradient and have a 50/50 chance of it being corrected?

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 05, 2012, 12:47:45 pm »

The "base" temperature for an area is derived from its latitude (and maybe elevation?), and then the random value determined by these parameters are applied to it to make it vary a bit.

From what I understand, the game decides what 0 and 100 latitude is an all in between sets the temperature based on a gradient from that. You would have to find a way to force the values (PF doesn't do this for some reason, I think it may be buried up in the thread). You would need to hack the gradient values in the game engine to go from low to high at 50, then low again at 0. It simply may not be enabled in the game yet and be on toady's to do list (preset temp values) like you have for volcanism etc... Otherwise you could just override the game completely. And there is no way to apply your own temperature gradient yet.
I voted for BANANA!

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 05, 2012, 02:40:14 pm »

can't you apply a reverse gradient and have a 50/50 chance of it being corrected?
I suggested this a while back (first here and a year later here), but I don't think cephalo has gotten around to doing it.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 06, 2012, 08:28:21 am »

There is a way to do this with PWDF but its a bit complicated. Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that you can import custom maps into the elevation map, export the world gen info into a scratch file, and use a search/replace on the name of the tag to change an elevation map into a temperature map.

In my experiments with it, I am unable to determine the exact gradient to counteract without visible temperature banding. Also, the temperature change from altitude is hard coded in DF.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 07, 2012, 07:24:55 pm »

There is a way to do this with PWDF but its a bit complicated. Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that you can import custom maps into the elevation map, export the world gen info into a scratch file, and use a search/replace on the name of the tag to change an elevation map into a temperature map.

In my experiments with it, I am unable to determine the exact gradient to counteract without visible temperature banding. Also, the temperature change from altitude is hard coded in DF.
For the elevation, PWDF can use the elevation data to apply another reverse gradient. I think this one can be determined quite easily if a reverse gradient is found for latitude.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 07, 2012, 09:23:08 pm »

Downloaded latest version.
Downloaded latest .xml
tried:
File | Import world_gen file (from 34.07)
Error:
Can't read world_gen.txt file, file might be corrupt or missing.

Tried using a saved world_gen from a world I gen'd with 34.07, and am currently playing. same error.

What is this program expecting to be in world_gen.txt?

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 07, 2012, 09:52:37 pm »

Could be a badly formatted file, have you made any changes? How did you save the new xml file?

Works ok in 34.07 for me
I voted for BANANA!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 07, 2012, 10:02:23 pm »

Nope, no changes.  Just a normal world_gen.txt, but whatever, that's fine. I've started from scratch and copied over the parameters by hand.

I only have one goal I want to accomplish with a program like this:

Have all volcanoes at the embark level or lower, no volcanoes above the map elevation.

I've tried:

Percent Below Zero Volcanism: 1
Percent Below Igneous Extrusive Threshold: 1
Percent Below Volcano Threshold: 1

Percent Below Zero Volcanism: 99
Percent Below Igneous Extrusive Threshold: 99
Percent Below Volcano Threshold: 99

Percent Below Igneous Extrusive Threshold: 99

Percent Below Igneous Extrusive Threshold: 1

all similar variations for the elevation cusp map:
Higher Elevation Cusp: 0
Lower Elevation Cusp: 100
Elevation Cusp Map Weight: 100

Higher Elevation Cusp: 100
Lower Elevation Cusp: 0
Elevation Cusp Map Weight: 100

all with no noise.

And I can't even get close to reducing or removing the change in elevation caused by above-embark-level volcanoes.  If anything, all of these settings are making the problem worse.  All other aspects of the map are fine, and working as expected.

Any ideas?  I'd be happy with just getting all volcanoes to be underground, to start.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 08, 2012, 12:21:39 am »

Thats extremely hard to do with volcano's in this version of DF, I managed to get 1 in a low desert, that was it. After like a hundred gens, and not using the PF settings. (I wasn't trying, just playing with the randomness of Toady's weighted maps). You could try something like:

[ELEVATION:100:400:1600:1600]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:6:8:4:3:2:1]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:1200:1200]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:6:1:1:1:1:1]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:500] (or upto 1000), but erosion over 500 creates bad river canyons, 250 is the best compromise
[RIVER_MINS:800:400] <---- This is tricky but if you can get rivers to go over your volcano's, they'll flatten out.

If you set your elevation mins to 100, turn of your ocean edges to zero.

There's a link how to get volcanoes speckled everywhere for maximum volcanoes in low lying area's in the first post from cephalo on the project, he's kept it up to date.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57428.msg1424214#msg1424214

You have to set your threshold sliders to 99-98% and set your cusp sliders far apart, and max out your noise sliders in volcanism. The above link describes it much better then I can.

[VOLCANO_MIN:200] be sure to set that to mucho high numbers like 200 if your doing the speckle thing with the volcanism map, if your doing it right it will look mostly green with 1 pixel red dots.

If you use PF for elevation maps and stuff you don't need to tweak weighted rangers or min/maxes.

If you do it on anything less then 257x257 map your going to have to figure out how to get the dots the right size, they need to be bigger.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:29:01 am by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 08, 2012, 10:14:06 pm »

Downloaded latest version.
Downloaded latest .xml
tried:
File | Import world_gen file (from 34.07)
Error:
Can't read world_gen.txt file, file might be corrupt or missing.

Tried using a saved world_gen from a world I gen'd with 34.07, and am currently playing. same error.

What is this program expecting to be in world_gen.txt?

Yeah, it might be misleading, but PWDF doesn't actually work with the world_gen files from already genned worlds. I think you need to put a [WORLDGEN] tag in front of the info. Theres a missing expected tag in those.

My latest forts:

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 30, 2012, 05:08:57 pm »

Got the latest version of PW running on Ubuntu 10.04.  I needed to install badgerports, and then install libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil and update mono-runtime.  I think in newer versions of Ubuntu the mono version is new enough that you would just need to install mono-complete?

Anyway - looks awesome.  Seems to work fine.  Time to play with it...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 02, 2012, 09:20:12 am »

Got the latest version of PW running on Ubuntu 10.04.  I needed to install badgerports, and then install libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil and update mono-runtime.  I think in newer versions of Ubuntu the mono version is new enough that you would just need to install mono-complete?

Anyway - looks awesome.  Seems to work fine.  Time to play with it...

I'm sorry you had to go through that.. ;D Unfortunately I can be of no help when it comes to linux.

My latest forts:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54