Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 430742 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.7
« Reply #615 on: August 02, 2014, 11:32:24 pm »

One thing that might cause confusion is that PWDF will allow you to overwrite pre-set map data, but there's no functionality to delete only the pre-set data. If you make a world using all the data maps, and then decide not to use a pre-set savagery map, the savagery map you genned previously will still be there even if you re-genned all the other maps. Make sure you're either using a clean param set with no existing map data, or make sure you're using all the data maps so that you aren't using garbage data from a previous map.

EDIT: One scenario I can think of is that if you check the box to use a PWDF savagery map, and then not bother to generate anything on the savagery tab, it will output a flat map with all the same value in every tile, which would likely prevent civ development.

EDIT2: Yeah, after a quick check, if you check the 'Savagery Map' box and not generate a savagery map, it will default to full savagery across the whole map which will stop civ growth. If you don't want to use a particular map, make sure not to check it's respective box. If you already exported a param set with it checked, and you want to still use that same param set without a particular data map, you'll have to delete it manually with a text editor.

The easiest thing would be to start with a fresh, unaltered world_gen.txt file, and don't alter the pre-existing param sets, instead, copy them by selecting the one you want to copy and typing a new name into the param set name field (Not exactly intuitive.). That way you can delete the param sets that you create without messing up the original ones. I probably should have enforced that practice somehow, but I didn't and I probably don't have time to make a major change like that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:29:28 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 03, 2014, 05:52:22 am »

On the 'Elevation Map' tab of PerfectWorldDF - what does 'import bitmap' do?
()==[:::::::::::::>

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #617 on: August 03, 2014, 06:13:36 am »

On the 'Elevation Map' tab of PerfectWorldDF - what does 'import bitmap' do?
It allows you to use a black and white heigh-map, with white for the highest points and black for the lowest points.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 03, 2014, 06:19:01 am »

It allows you to use a black and white heigh-map, with white for the highest points and black for the lowest points.

Ah. That's what I thought it would do, but it didn't seem to do anything when I tried it. Maybe the file I tried to import was the wrong size? Does it have to be the same number of pixels X and Y as the dimensions of the worldgen you're working with?

(I'll try that, anyway).
()==[:::::::::::::>

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 03, 2014, 08:03:40 am »

Ah. That's what I thought it would do, but it didn't seem to do anything when I tried it. Maybe the file I tried to import was the wrong size? Does it have to be the same number of pixels X and Y as the dimensions of the worldgen you're working with?

(I'll try that, anyway).

Check the weights of the different maps. When you import a map, it is mixed with the rest at a weight of '100'. If you want the pure map to be your elevation map, set the other weights to zero. I don't remember if it has to be a certain size, but having the proper aspect ratio will prevent stretching and squishing. It's funny, since I made this app more than four years ago, there's a lot of specifics I don't remember. :) You might hunt through this thread to the time I introduced that function to see what I said about it at the time.

My latest forts:

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 03, 2014, 12:11:41 pm »

I figured it out! after alot of testing I realize that due to some changes to 04.05 that the base rate of megabeasts is too high! It may not be a problem with just PW but its more noticable with PW cause you can shave large sized maps down making everything clustered closer together! and when you squeeze large map settings into a island the size of a medium map it can cause problems, it didnt before but it must b e a change to the new version of DF!

Basically what happening was dragons and titans and giants were slaughtering civilizations before they could start expanding!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:06 pm »

I figured it out! after alot of testing I realize that due to some changes to 04.05 that the base rate of megabeasts is too high! It may not be a problem with just PW but its more noticable with PW cause you can shave large sized maps down making everything clustered closer together! and when you squeeze large map settings into a island the size of a medium map it can cause problems, it didnt before but it must b e a change to the new version of DF!

Basically what happening was dragons and titans and giants were slaughtering civilizations before they could start expanding!

Yeah, that has always been an issue with setting too many caves, titans, etc. It sure makes worldgen go fast though.

My latest forts:

Nahno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2014, 06:26:53 am »

Thank you for PerfectWorldDF, cephalo! I always use it to customize my worlds.

The rain and drainage sliders confuse me a bit. The descriptions are inconsistent with the information I can find online about which values cause which biomes. Could you tell us exactly which values each slider governs?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2014, 08:29:52 am »

Thank you for PerfectWorldDF, cephalo! I always use it to customize my worlds.

The rain and drainage sliders confuse me a bit. The descriptions are inconsistent with the information I can find online about which values cause which biomes. Could you tell us exactly which values each slider governs?

Areas that are low drainage are swamps and sand deserts, depending on the rainfall amount.

Areas that are mid drainage are forests, plains or rocky depending on the rainfall amount.

Areas that are high drainage are usually hills.

The other maps have a lot of influence over the exact biome, but this is generally how drainage plays a part in that.

My latest forts:

Nahno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »

Areas that are low drainage are swamps and sand deserts, depending on the rainfall amount.

Areas that are mid drainage are forests, plains or rocky depending on the rainfall amount.

Areas that are high drainage are usually hills.

The other maps have a lot of influence over the exact biome, but this is generally how drainage plays a part in that.
Thanks. That is consistent with the image in my head, if not very detailed. ;P
The sliders delimit four intervals, however. The last one suggests there is something with higher drainage than hills?

How about the rain sliders?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2014, 07:37:41 pm »

Thanks. That is consistent with the image in my head, if not very detailed. ;P
The sliders delimit four intervals, however. The last one suggests there is something with higher drainage than hills?

How about the rain sliders?

Heheh, yeah, the three sliders define four intervals and... I don't remember all of them. Hey, it was four years ago! :)

The rain sliders are more straightforward. The intervals are desert, plains, forest and jungle.

EDIT: Here is a useful table of biome selection. It doesn't include jungle but I may have figured that one out with my own research back in the day.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:01:10 pm by cephalo »

My latest forts:

Lightningy

• Bay Watcher
  • MOM GET THE CAMERA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 14, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »

Don't know if its been mention before, but can you influence the number of rivers in a world
'What is life?', you ask. Fundamentally life is the apotheosis of pointlessness. We live to multiple. But what for? The Endless cycle of carnage pulls hardest on the furthest victim. An inescapable fate; one no one wants but we all desire. The more immoral we become the more ideal we are. A perverse oxymoron. We who live unencumbered but are the most burdened. We fight but at the end it is all for naught, as in life there are no winners; only the undistinguished.

GENERATION 29:
Copy and add 1.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 19, 2014, 09:52:35 am »

Don't know if its been mention before, but can you influence the number of rivers in a world

You used to be able to in the normal world gen parameters, but river generation changed at some point and I have not personally tested them to see if they do anything. They are named River number before and after land erosion.

In other news, there was a big DF release while I was on vacation regarding the new pole controls! That means I have to re-visit the problem of the temperature map, and maybe I can finally include the temperature map in PerfectWorldDF! Yay! I'll start working on that in my spare time.

My latest forts:

KippLeKipp

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:NEET]
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 20, 2014, 04:38:21 am »

In other news, there was a big DF release while I was on vacation regarding the new pole controls! That means I have to re-visit the problem of the temperature map, and maybe I can finally include the temperature map in PerfectWorldDF! Yay! I'll start working on that in my spare time.

Hopefully this means I can recreate my tropical savage island archipelago in DF and found dorven Manila. Yay, patriotism!
It's hard to keep a straight face while you mod centauress cheese into DF

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 25, 2014, 10:18:26 am »

So, I'm getting ready to implement the temperature map, and I would like to discuss any temperature options people would like to have while I'm doing this.

My plan so far is to have several gradient options that can do the same things as vanilla DF as far as North and/or South poles, but at any angle. Also a radial gradient option for 'polar' type maps, similar to how the radial gradient works on the savagery map.

I also want to include an option to have altitude more strongly influence temperature, but there is some weirdness to this approach. The thing is, 'mountains' in DF are purely a function of altitude, whereas in the real world, it is a function of altitude change. In the real world, there are mountains that are quite large that do not have high altitude peaks (an example would be the Olympic mountains west of Seattle). In DF, such a thing is impossible. If altitude affects temperature, then you can't have things like jungle next to a mountain.

Another issue is that DF automatically does some altitude based temperature adjustment, but it is rather subtle. Anything I do would be in addition to what DF does. I wonder if I should leave altitude based temperatures alone.

Also, there will be the normal noise map with an adjustable weight.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on what the temperature map needs to do?

My latest forts:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54