Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 433145 times)

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9
« Reply #690 on: June 03, 2015, 10:43:57 pm »

Is there any way to align evil areas with savage areas? I was fiddling with a map, setting the eastern coast to be completely and utterly savage, expecting it to be evil. 

Each time I tried to gen it however evil areas generated wherever. This resulted in much frustration until I realized savagery =/= evil.

So...do evil areas just gen wherever, or are they attracted to savage areas, and rng was just unlucky?

There's no way to control the placement of evil. Evil and savagery are uncorrelated AFAIK.

ZeroMcUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 03, 2015, 10:52:33 pm »

Oh well. Thanks for the info.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:42 pm »

Is there any way to align evil areas with savage areas? I was fiddling with a map, setting the eastern coast to be completely and utterly savage, expecting it to be evil. 

Each time I tried to gen it however evil areas generated wherever. This resulted in much frustration until I realized savagery =/= evil.

So...do evil areas just gen wherever, or are they attracted to savage areas, and rng was just unlucky?
Savagery refers to the strength of the animals in the area. A savage good biome will be called "Joyous Wilds," and is much more likely to include animal men, giant animals, and the dreaded unicorn.

With Evil weather, and more aggressive animals, a savage evil biome earns it's name of Terrifying, and a savage nuetreal biome (UNtamed Wilds") is also more fun then Joyous Wilds.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #693 on: July 26, 2015, 10:42:29 am »

Don't suppose this works with mods? (fear the night) -Trying to use the FTN world map config, will see how it goes.

Also, how/can you resize the map windows? Zoom level, check.

Getting a 'color above max' error whenever I use the brush tool.

Wait, vulcanism cusps, is the lower cusp for making a caldera or something?

I'm still getting poles generated when I go to create the world. Temp is set to ignore, pole options are 'none', but in the advanced param settings in-game it's still listed as N&S, north, south.

Ok, something's gone wrong.
Reinstalled everything, re-opened the world file & this time got an error when I started switching on the 'use pwdf' options.
No DF-generated poles this time, but the uh, the oceans look like deserts.
And it stopped responding when I tried making an adventurer to investigate.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:26:45 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 27, 2015, 08:37:52 am »

Don't do anything drastic, you shouldn't have to re-install anything over PWDF. The paint functionality is a bit buggy, outside of that there shouldn't be any bugs (that I know of.. Ok there might be a few bugs.) If you want the map options that you choose in PWDF to stick, you'll want to do it while DF is not running I think. If you have the map parameters open in DF and then change the world_gen.txt out, it won't be seen by DF.

The volcanism cusps are hard to explain.. One of them sets an altitude for the most volcanism, and the other raises another cusp from the ocean floor as sort of a 'mid Atlantic ridge' kinda thing. It's just something I made up, not something you're supposed to know.

If the oceans look like deserts, make sure it's not just 'evil' ocean. That looks kind of like mud. If you don't want the ocean to be good or evil, you should set the 'large region' count to zero.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #695 on: July 27, 2015, 09:12:30 am »

Huh, I think I may have found why it wasn't happy.
Fear the Night's for 34.11, but it's up with the rest of them for 40.01+.
BRB

Also, aaaahhh, got it. I uh, I don't mean to be critical, but that's better than the directions you've got up on the manual, "Just play with it and look at what happens". So yep, feedback.
Heh, now I kinda want to see what an evil ocean looks like. Are there carp?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:34 am »

Hehehe Carp would be the least of your worries friend.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #697 on: July 27, 2015, 09:44:57 am »

That's a big carp.
Badges of honor

Benjamin the Rogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 26, 2015, 08:31:17 pm »

I'm trying to create worlds using bitmaps of specific places, can anyone tell me how the bitmap importer for Perfect World interprets colors on the bitmap file to elevation? I keep ending up with land masses where water should be. Included is a bitmap file I'm trying to import now. The middle section of southern sea keeps turning into an island for some reason.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 26, 2015, 08:40:41 pm »

I'm trying to create worlds using bitmaps of specific places, can anyone tell me how the bitmap importer for Perfect World interprets colors on the bitmap file to elevation? I keep ending up with land masses where water should be. Included is a bitmap file I'm trying to import now. The middle section of southern sea keeps turning into an island for some reason.

Perfect World goes by darkness ranges. Dark colors are ocean bottoms, light colors are peaks. Your image details height by color instead, so it's not compatible. The shadows in the image are probably also throwing it off.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 27, 2015, 01:31:12 pm »

I would say that image would be very difficult to convert into a greyscale height map. It would be possible to read the hues perhaps in gimp or photoshop, but the lighting and shadows also throw a lot of complexity to the mix. I'm not sure how this would be done.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 27, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »

here is three versions in grayscale:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
gimp has three ways to grayscale
also.....PTW
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 28, 2015, 12:27:58 am »

And none of those will produce the correct terrain.

Freak2121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 29, 2015, 03:15:55 am »

I couldn't find a greyscale heightmap of Vesta for you but since it's a rocky and atmosphere-less body in the solar system, pretty much any other rocky body will look like it. Our own moon has fairly similar terrain and there's plenty of high resolution heightmaps available for it. Here is one.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 29, 2015, 07:27:06 am »

Space Engine can also give you randomly generated height maps, although your computer needs to be pretty beefy to run it.
Spoiler: My DF World (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Space Engine (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 54