Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 433234 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9
« Reply #720 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:04 pm »

Just to be clear, this issue does not occur when you leave the PW temperature map out right? Like if you uncheck the box that uses the temperature map? A normal DF temperature map mixed with the other PW maps has areas of jungle?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Xilian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 18, 2015, 04:22:06 am »

That is correct, not using the temperature map at all gives normal tropical regions and using the poles with the PW map gives normal tropical regions aswell.
Something of note is that using DF temperature map can generate tropical regions in warm biomes whereas that is impossible with PW, though that is a different problem alltogether.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:26 am »

I have confirmed the problem, but I'm having trouble understanding it. At first I thought that maybe rainfall amounts are invalid above 90 or so, but the problem goes away using the same rainfall map and temp map with DF poles. I get the feeling that latitude does determine certain biomes, and not having poles destroys that input.

All I can do is feed numbers to DF, I can't tell DF what to do with them. Thanks for finding the bug. I'm feeling that using the PW temperature map is just not ready for prime time. If you're making a serious Dwarf Fortress world, I don't recommend using PW's temperature map. There's too much missing stuff.

My latest forts:

Xilian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 18, 2015, 10:48:28 am »

Back to the drawing board then, time to make a new world lucky me I saved my map set for once. It's a shame though as the temp map gave a lot of control over which biomes you'd want where but maybe a later time.
I have another question though, Do you happen to know the correlation between volcanism and ore type distribution? I ran some shallow tests and couldn't find any real connection. It seemed more connected to drainage and elevation, though that is just a hypothesis.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 18, 2015, 11:18:56 am »

I believe the geology generation has changed somewhat since the first version of PW came out. I believe that low volcanism can create sedimentary layers or used to, but I'm not sure on that anymore. Once you get down some number of z levels, it gets pretty random. If you set the MINERAL_SCARCITY tag to 100 (lowest) you will get everything get-able on your embark map.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 02, 2015, 09:35:18 am »

No world_gen.txt file changes for the new version (42.01), so everything in PWDF should still work.

My latest forts:

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 02, 2015, 07:27:10 pm »

No world_gen.txt file changes for the new version (42.01), so everything in PWDF should still work.

Awesome!  If anyone has bug reports, I'll pass them on  :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 14, 2015, 11:27:56 am »

Is there a way to send perfectworld to a sort of fixes values when you are painting the map. I mean for example that the value 0.7 is always mountains or something like that.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 14, 2015, 12:19:52 pm »

Is there a way to send perfectworld to a sort of fixes values when you are painting the map. I mean for example that the value 0.7 is always mountains or something like that.

I actually never included that kind of 'preset' painting level, like 'paint mountains' kind of thing. If you think about it, it wouldn't look very nice to have a large flat plateau and call it mountains. The game might call it mountains, and the erosion in DF might help the situation, but it wouldn't really be mountains rather than a large highland plain.

The strength of PWDF I think is that it gives you some tools to paint with natural looking noise. The paint brush should be used sparingly, for example if you want to sink or create an isthmus between continents. It's ok to get goofy with it, and create a big smiley face with mountains or whatever , but I didn't want to work real hard to provide a tool that's only useful for goofiness or creates weirdness that users might not recognize until they are actually playing on the world they made.

EIDT: Heheh, I guess I'm getting rusty as to how this app really works. Actually, because of the sliders, it would be impossible to make preset painting values! I forgot about that one, which is really the most important reason for not trying that. Even a value of 0.9+ is not guaranteed to be mountains, depending on where you put the slider.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:01:27 pm by cephalo »

My latest forts:

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 17, 2015, 03:53:58 pm »

Wait when did the temperature map break? I do remember it working at some point rather well.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 18, 2015, 05:03:50 pm »

I actually never included that kind of 'preset' painting level, like 'paint mountains' kind of thing. If you think about it, it wouldn't look very nice to have a large flat plateau and call it mountains. The game might call it mountains, and the erosion in DF might help the situation, but it wouldn't really be mountains rather than a large highland plain.

The strength of PWDF I think is that it gives you some tools to paint with natural looking noise. The paint brush should be used sparingly, for example if you want to sink or create an isthmus between continents. It's ok to get goofy with it, and create a big smiley face with mountains or whatever , but I didn't want to work real hard to provide a tool that's only useful for goofiness or creates weirdness that users might not recognize until they are actually playing on the world they made.

EIDT: Heheh, I guess I'm getting rusty as to how this app really works. Actually, because of the sliders, it would be impossible to make preset painting values! I forgot about that one, which is really the most important reason for not trying that. Even a value of 0.9+ is not guaranteed to be mountains, depending on where you put the slider.
wish wed had noise painting though, that would make placing elements accurately a breeze

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 19, 2015, 05:39:12 pm »

There's a problem when using the brush with the savagery map by using it can cause an error due to the percents used for the map.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 21, 2015, 12:02:37 pm »

Wait when did the temperature map break? I do remember it working at some point rather well.

It seems to be working great, but the fact is that some biomes just don't show up when you use the 'None' pole option in DF. It could be a minor issue, but it bugs me enough that I wouldn't use it in my worlds.

My latest forts:

Gotham123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 09, 2016, 04:45:00 pm »

Hi I have a question before I download this mod. is this compatible with the Latest Dwarf Fortress version (42.04)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 11, 2016, 09:24:51 am »

Hi I have a question before I download this mod. is this compatible with the Latest Dwarf Fortress version (42.04)

Yes.

My latest forts:
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54