Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 433157 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »

Well, I managed to get down to the third layer and everything looked fine. I even had all 3 layers with water. I also discovered... a deep pit? in the first layer, I think it just goes down a ways and then stops.

I haven't hit magma yet or other stuff. I found adamantine though. So it's just a matter of time.

I would like to point out, that I did check all the settings over in the game, just in case y'know.

So far so good.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2010, 10:02:23 pm »

Feature request: The ability to import greyscale bitmaps for the various fields-- particularly elevation. That way, you could take maps from other sources, make them greyscale, then import it into this. Not only instant fantasy (or real world) map from your source of choice, but it'll generate the rain shadows and such!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2010, 10:25:44 pm »

It would be awesome. Right now it's REALLY hard to draw with that brush.

Also all the sliders really need a numerical value which you should be able to type in manually. Sometimes you need a very precise value and you can't achieve it with a slider :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2010, 11:22:24 pm »

Feature request: The ability to import greyscale bitmaps for the various fields-- particularly elevation. That way, you could take maps from other sources, make them greyscale, then import it into this. Not only instant fantasy (or real world) map from your source of choice, but it'll generate the rain shadows and such!

I'll see if I can do that. There will be some data loss since greyscale maps usually only use 8 bits of data(0 - 255) and DF elevations are 0 - 400, but that might not be an issue.

It would be awesome. Right now it's REALLY hard to draw with that brush.

Also all the sliders really need a numerical value which you should be able to type in manually. Sometimes you need a very precise value and you can't achieve it with a slider :).

For precise control of those numbers, you can tap the arrow keys to adjust the value on those.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39:53 pm »

Whoa. Where did this wonderful thing come from!?!?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2010, 03:17:12 am »

I'll see if I can do that. There will be some data loss since greyscale maps usually only use 8 bits of data(0 - 255) and DF elevations are 0 - 400, but that might not be an issue.

I'm glad to hear this as I too would like to see a greyscale image importer. I'm surprised about the data loss though as DF exports greyscale images from legends mode.

This is less of a request and more like me thinking out loud but would it be possible to take an image where certain colours represent differently shaped terrain like this mockup.

And turn it into a height map that has a curve like this mockup?

It's just if this was possible then it would be really easy to create maps. I've been looking for something like this for some time.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2010, 05:50:54 am »

I tried import wolrd gen params from region1-world_gen_param.txt of my 31.04 world
I got message it is corrupt or missing. Do I do anything wrong?
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2010, 08:17:20 am »

I tried import wolrd gen params from region1-world_gen_param.txt of my 31.04 world
I got message it is corrupt or missing. Do I do anything wrong?

This app for now is only intended to work from the main world_gen.txt file. The one in the init folder. It checks validity by looking for the tag [WORLD_GEN] at the beginning of the file, while the world gen files that are exported from a map have a comment at the beginning that breaks that.

I'm glad to hear this as I too would like to see a greyscale image importer. I'm surprised about the data loss though as DF exports greyscale images from legends mode.

This is less of a request and more like me thinking out loud but would it be possible to take an image where certain colours represent differently shaped terrain like this mockup.

And turn it into a height map that has a curve like this mockup?

It's just if this was possible then it would be really easy to create maps. I've been looking for something like this for some time.

I might be able to do something like that. I might want some interpolation routines anyway in order to smooth out the 255 color greyscale images. I already have some functions in my Perlin noise class that might help. What I might do is the same kind of cubic interpolation for a 255 color map or for a 5 color map. Count up the different greys, and interpolate the in betweens. Actually, I'm not sure I want to do it this way. It's going to take some experimentation.

I will need an extra weighted input channel on each map type that represents the imported maps, so you could mix in some noise or whatever. I'll have to come up with an interface for the import options.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:36:19 am by cephalo »

My latest forts:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 10:03:35 am »

Yep, nobody uses all 0-400. Some mediocre values (0, 20, 40 etc.) with some smoothing between them would be good enough, actually they would be all we need.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2010, 01:29:08 pm »

Jesus Christ! This is kick ass^144!
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Cult of the Raven

• Bay Watcher
  • likes beards for their dwarfyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2010, 03:26:49 pm »

yay!! this is just what I was looking for to create a more organic-looking map for my homebrew DnD world. Now I just need to somehow get mixed-race forts and I can simulate the mining villages.

awesome!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2010, 03:41:46 pm »

I need some opinions on a particular subject. I am currently working on allowing non square maps, but there are some complications. With square maps, all the maps in the map set use 257x257, and then are shrunk down to the appropriate size on export. The advantage here is that you can make a map, and then change your mind endlessly about what size it will be, and you always have that option.

I'd like to preserve that, but when I decouple the width and height from each other and use separate controls for each, there is no way to preserve the aspect ratio because you have to change the controls one at a time! If you want to switch from 257x257 to 129x129, first you switch the width, giving you 129x257 and then you switch the height, but in between the two you have a situation where you can't preserve the old map in that format.

Is it ok to discard all the maps on a size change?

My latest forts:

Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2010, 04:32:37 pm »

Continue keeping it at 257 all the time, and just put a thin line overlay that shows the user which portion will get exported.
And/or add an option to allow a black overlay that hides all of the stuff that's going to get truncated on export, if having that extra stuff there bothers people.

I need some opinions on a particular subject. I am currently working on allowing non square maps, but there are some complications. With square maps, all the maps in the map set use 257x257, and then are shrunk down to the appropriate size on export. The advantage here is that you can make a map, and then change your mind endlessly about what size it will be, and you always have that option.

I'd like to preserve that, but when I decouple the width and height from each other and use separate controls for each, there is no way to preserve the aspect ratio because you have to change the controls one at a time! If you want to switch from 257x257 to 129x129, first you switch the width, giving you 129x257 and then you switch the height, but in between the two you have a situation where you can't preserve the old map in that format.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2010, 05:01:14 pm »

Would it be possible do something like a checkbox that, when checked, forces the map to be square (i.e., changing one dimension will automatically change the other one to match it), but when unchecked allows non-square maps (which would then cause the map data to be lost)?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2010, 05:48:57 pm »

I think that what I'm going to do is keep the DF map dimensions independant of the PW map dimensions. The DF maps will have their height and width, and the PW maps will have a ratio that can be set with a menu option. If your map aspect ratios don't match, the consequence will be that the result will be stretched or squished. Not a big deal. I can even present a warning in that case to prevent it if it's not intended.

My latest forts:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54