Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 430707 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.6
« Reply #525 on: May 02, 2012, 06:25:19 pm »

I am having a bit of trouble with the vulcanism map.

I'm trying to get specific places to have volcanos on a large map, but the only choices for volcano range are 1-100% below volcano range.  This leads to the choice between, on this size of map, either 331 possible volcanos or 0 possible volcanos, setting the slider at either 99% or 100%.

It would be very nice if there was either an option to export a "raw" map from Perfect World, without the weighting of it, or to specify that the program should make an exact number of squares that should have their vulcanism set to 1.0 (100 on export).  This would save me a lot of trouble when wanting to specify exactly where volcanos should go, as the only other option is to use the very clunky in-game painter interface.  It takes about a minute just to scroll to the area I want to paint, let alone actually paint it correctly.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 02, 2012, 07:21:49 pm »

Hmm, I think that when the volcanism map is clean, before you generate any noise or what not, the map defaults to 0.5 on every tile.  You can then use the buggy paint functionality in PWDF to paint 1.0 on only the volcanos that you want. (save often) On maps smaller than 256x256, this may be easier said than done, since the map will be automatically shrunk to fit and there won't be a 1 to 1 relationship between PW map tiles and DF map tiles.

Let me know if that works.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 02, 2012, 07:41:22 pm »

I'll try that...

Nothing doing.  The sliders keep moving and don't give me a choice.  The granularity of the expected number of volcanos just doesn't allow for it on this size of map (257x129, 99% = 331 squares.  100% = 0 squares.  No middle ground).

So my choices are either to use the in-game painter (ugh) or paint 331 volcanos into the map, then hack the game to make sure it generates them all, so I can be sure that the volcanos I paint actually show up, leading to a very very very volcanic map.

In a pocket region it might be possible (1% of 17x17 = ~2.5 square granularity... so there would still need to be extra volcanoes painted in that situation), but on this map it's just not going to work.

I know the map data itself can support any specific values and be understood by DF.  Possibly I could intentionally paint 200+ "fake volcanoes" with 0.99 as their specific value, then Find+Replace that with 0 or something when importing the data... but it seems a very hackish way to get things done.  Ultimately it may be what I need to do...

===

Well, here is a needed feature.  Very simple too Ceph.

A [CLEAR] button.

Some way to erase all information and clear everything back to null without closing the program and re-doing all the other maps to get what you need on the one screen you just need to clear out.

I know I ask for a lot, but this program is amazing and there are just some things that I can't do with it, even tho I know they're very possible (like telling the program not to "bend" the output to fit some kind of expected percentage, as an option, or adding a button to clear the whole tab out without wiping out any of the other data).

((EDIT: Nope, this won't work either.  The slider sets the amount of squares that will be exported with a value of "100" exactly, letting them be volcanos.  If PWDF thinks they're volcanos there seems to be no way to trick it into exporting them as any other value.)

===

Also, the paint functionality isn't "buggy" unless I use the Large Smoothing brush and push those percentage sliders beyond the breaking point.  Using the point brush works fine, every time, but once it goes past a threshold it annoyingly moves a slider or otherwise "bends" the output to fit the percentage sliders again.  This is what I was running into with the volcanos.

I'd have all the volcanos painted on there as 1x1 boxes, in precisely the area I'd want them, then once I passed a threshold (99% below volcano, 331 count on a 257x129 map), !!BOOM!! All of a sudden the slider moved and I have thousands of volcanos, which once were Igneous Extrusive layers (seems it grabbed the next closest value for the volcanos, and since there was nothing between 0.7 - 1.0, it said all of that range was 100% volcano territory).  Then the program freaks out and turns the slider up again sometimes, meaning that there were NO volcanos.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:56:07 pm by Jeoshua »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 02, 2012, 08:34:50 pm »

I'm back, this time with pretty pics of a successful hack, not some feature request.

Step 1:

Make a set of boxes in the upper left of the map.  This works best on an island region, obviously, since you have all that deep water to play with.  These boxes are 5x5, each tile is vulcanism 1.0 exactly, and the borders (directly to the right of each set of 5) is vucanism 0.0 exactly.

I painted these box by box until the slider screwed up and said that there were no volcanoes (changed to 100% Below Volcano Threshold), then I backed the boxes up one by one until I could set the volcanos at 99% again.

I then drew set one MORE box in this grid to 0.0 volcanism, and proceeded to set one tile on the map, proper, to be a volcano.  Then I exported the map.

Step 2:

Using Notepad++ (although any text editor with a Find/Replace option will work), I searched for every instance of "100:100:100:100:100:0:" and replaced it with "0:0:0:0:0:0:".  There was also the odd count of the last row, and I set these to 0 manually.  The picture is actually "wrong" in that I forgot that extra ":" the first time around.

I also set the file to contain a line stating: "[VOLCANO_MIN:1]"

Saved the file and started up Dwarf Fortress.

Step 3:

One Volcano, precisely where I told it to be.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:36:23 pm by Jeoshua »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 03, 2012, 09:41:29 am »

Lol, sorry for all that work just to place a volcano! I just didn't think of the possibility that people would want to place them exactly. I mean... it's obvious, but I didn't think of it. I may have been suffering from burnout since it was the next to last map to be handled. Sometimes I get sloppy near the end of a large project.

Another issue that may come up is that having no underlying noise in the volcanism values may have an undesireable effect on the world's geology. I'm not sure how volcanism effects that exactly, but having only zeros and a few 100s might create monotony in the layers. I haven't actually seen that however.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 05, 2012, 08:56:36 am »

It does affect the underlying rock strata, and a 1.0 volcano next to a 0.0 sedimentary layer generally won't "bulge" very much.

In the method I was using, however, I did have the noise and elevation cusps set.  The only thing my method does is remove all the automatically added volcano spots.  Only the ones I manually add get to be 1.0, the rest being considered after export to be Igneous Extrusive.  So the former volcanos are actually just igneous zones.

I'm just happy I can finally make my volcanic desert area like I want it, even if it does take a bit more work than before.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:31:39 am by Jeoshua »

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 13, 2012, 05:51:38 pm »

OK need some help here  ::)
I grasped most part of the world gen process, but I cannot understand why this world always stops at 200 of Its 500 years.
It is a modified copy of a "medium region" default setup. It's because of the beasts killed, but why does it happen? How to change that?  :-\

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 13, 2012, 05:56:09 pm »

OK need some help here  ::)
I grasped most part of the world gen process, but I cannot understand why this world always stops at 200 of Its 500 years.
It is a modified copy of a "medium region" default setup. It's because of the beasts killed, but why does it happen? How to change that?  :-\

Its the beast end year,or, increase it, or place more beasts.
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 24, 2012, 07:13:12 pm »

I have one pretty important question, cannot start up before knowing the answer :-\

My goal is to have caverns as much fun and enjoyable to explore as possible, I don't like the default "mazes" too much.
So let's say a series of big spaces interconnected between them on the z and\or same level by tunnels.
Is it possible something like that?

I actually set these parameters, but I don't really know what caverns will look like. Any suggestion?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »

I have one pretty important question, cannot start up before knowing the answer :-\

My goal is to have caverns as much fun and enjoyable to explore as possible, I don't like the default "mazes" too much.
So let's say a series of big spaces interconnected between them on the z and\or same level by tunnels.
Is it possible something like that?

I actually set these parameters, but I don't really know what caverns will look like. Any suggestion?

To have large open caverns, set your worldgen parameters as:

[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:0]

and all the other values to their minimum. 

[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]

Even if you manually edit the worldgen file, the best you can do is one layer between caverns,  (they will NOT interconnect, vertically, typically) and 5 layers from embark to top of the first cavern.  DF appears to be hardcoded to give those top 5 layers, minimum.

I tried these parameters:

[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:500]
   [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:500]
   [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:800]
   [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]

Even with 800 non-mountain, max sized caves in a 33x33 world, the best you can do is get an embark level cave.

The only time I've seen "natural" vertical open space interconnect between caverns is from natural caves, and the placement of those is random.  Theoretically, you could luck out three times and get a natural cave from embark to first cavern, a natural cave from first cavern bottom to the top of second cavern, and a natural cave from the bottom of second cavern to the top of the third cavern..

But I wouldn't bet on it being easy to find. :)

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 25, 2012, 06:39:43 am »

Vjek you gave me the other extreme, if I'm not wrong.
What I'm searching is the "middle ground", if possible, where I won't have mazes everywhere but also not a totally empty space (not so fun to explore as well, I guess).
Looking here (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Advanced_world_generation#Cavern_Parameters) it seems 50\50 has still too many mazes, so I tried 10-30 for sensity and 50-90 for openness (some randomness is good to have). I don0't know what ideal numbers should be, though.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 25, 2012, 10:23:18 am »

Yeah, you'll have to gen a dozen worlds or so and see what the RNG comes up with.  What is underground, from what I've seen, is much MUCH more random than what you can control above ground.

Natural caves, of course, are also filled with nasties and very bad things, so you'll likely have to fight your way through them to get down to the caverns.  Which in many of the worlds I gen'd with those parameters, has undead towers, various animal men civilizations, and similar challenges.

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 04, 2012, 04:30:02 pm »

So now that we have an official size for each tile (2m x 2m x 3m, if I recall correctly), has anyone tried their hand at recreating a 1:1 map of real-world landmasses?

Quick math:

• Each tile is considered to be 2m long, 2m wide, and 3 meters tall when preforming minecart physics. (~6'7"x6'7"x9'10")
  • Each embark tile on the local map is a 48x48 area in Fort mode.  (Which becomes 96m x 96m)
  • Each region tile is made up of 16x16 local tiles.  (This becomes 1536m x 1536m)

So for example Long Island is approximately 190 km by 37 km.  That would make its map in DF about 124x24, or around the size of a medium island/region.

....yeah, this means that we might not be able to generate full continents using the method, but a worthy effort in the name of realism.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

Why is the sea on the right side suddenly look like that?

I want it to look like water, not some muddy landscape thing. >:(
This map looks great, could you give it for my DF Post-Apocalypse mod? I have a full world map, but this one suits the Fallout world much better.

Also I have this map:

Any way to make the weather gradient to go glacier-tundra-temperate-tropical-temperate-tundra-glacier? Right now the north is frozen and the Antarctic area is hot.

Can you post the text file for such a map?

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:46 pm »

is it possible to make a world bigger than 257x 257?
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 54