Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 432661 times)

Morcaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9
« Reply #750 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:00 pm »

I Have a question that I can seem to answer even with the manual and videos of people doing this.

I have created a world in DF that I really like and want to seed everything about it, however when I try to import this into PW none of the maps are saved and the biome map is blank.

When I try to generate a new map it creates a new one. Well I want the old one. How do I do this?

Everything starts with "Have pre set? No" I need it to say yes without creating brand new maps...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 07, 2017, 09:45:57 am »

I have been missing for a number of months! Sorry everyone.

I've been comparing some PerfectWorld generated maps versus some default world generation.  It seems that the embark depth is often three or four times as little as it is on default worlds.  Is there anything I can do to tweak this or make it so that PW maps have high embark depth?  I'd much rather have 100+ z levels, than a measly 45-60.

This is something you can set in the world gen settings. The wiki should describe it in detail. You can set how many z levels of air, how many cavern layers, etc. I think you can get ridiculous if you want. Beware of low frame rates with a super deep world.

I Have a question that I can seem to answer even with the manual and videos of people doing this.

I have created a world in DF that I really like and want to seed everything about it, however when I try to import this into PW none of the maps are saved and the biome map is blank.

When I try to generate a new map it creates a new one. Well I want the old one. How do I do this?

Everything starts with "Have pre set? No" I need it to say yes without creating brand new maps...

Not sure what the problem is, but there are basically three options for each map. You can have PW generate it, you can have DF generate it, or you can use the pre-set data that is saved in the world_gen.txt file. To have access to that data, you have to first import the world_gen.txt file that you want to work with. If you have already made a world with PWDF, that world_gen.txt should be around somewhere unless you overwrote it by accident.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 17, 2017, 09:26:07 pm »

Ah, good to know that you're back!  I was giving up hope on ever figuring this out.
Quick question regarding that issue with low layer amount.  I am using the default world-gen and simply modifying it from there.  Since I'm using the default, shouldn't the layer amount be the same as the regular map generation?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 18, 2017, 11:43:37 pm »

Please update the links in the OP to reflect the new location of Dwarf Fortress File Depot at http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=2354
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

hurpfry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 23, 2017, 12:14:50 am »

Hey, not sure if there's some setting I'm missing, but how do I erase/reset  the brush on savagery, or any tab for that matter.  I accidentally added a giant glob of it where it was supposed to be benign, and now I can't get rid of it.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 27, 2017, 02:34:01 pm »

Ah, good to know that you're back!  I was giving up hope on ever figuring this out.
Quick question regarding that issue with low layer amount.  I am using the default world-gen and simply modifying it from there.  Since I'm using the default, shouldn't the layer amount be the same as the regular map generation?

Unless you have discovered something I am unaware of, I would expect to get the same number of layers. Test a couple of sites and let me know what you find. Make sure the worldgen.txt file has the settings you expect in there, and that you did not accidentally overwrite them or something.

Please update the links in the OP to reflect the new location of Dwarf Fortress File Depot at http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=2354

Thanks for noticing, I fixed it.

Hey, not sure if there's some setting I'm missing, but how do I erase/reset  the brush on savagery, or any tab for that matter.  I accidentally added a giant glob of it where it was supposed to be benign, and now I can't get rid of it.
The brush functions are the buggiest part of PWDF. There should be many levels of undo if you're in the same session, but if you really messed it up you might have to start over.

My latest forts:

Galaxyfalcon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 28, 2017, 05:48:17 pm »

Hello,

I've been playing around with PF but need some clarification on the sliders:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In this example, is the percent below dunes/swap the amount of territory I can expect to be dunes/swap? So 30% of this map would be dunes/swamp? Similarly, rocky/grassland would have roughly 40% of the map as those terrain types? (btw, what does 'rocky' refer to? Is that rocky wastelands?)

Or am I reading this wrong? If so, would the percent below dunes/swamp actually be affecting the frequency of a different type of terrain, while the difference between dunes/rocky is the actual frequency of dunes/swamp?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 10, 2017, 11:18:34 am »

I think the wiki has all the thresholds of what combinations of the different maps will do what(see the entry for 'Biome'). That 30% will make 30% of the map dunes or swamp depending on rainfall, and 40% of the map will fall between the two thresholds, and 20 percent of the map will be above the 'hills' threshold for drainage. What the terrain actually turns out to be will depend on the interplay between the maps, and these sliders just give you some control over the curve. I tried to make the sliders fall on useful thresholds, but they could also be arbitrary and still be useful.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:24:28 am by cephalo »

My latest forts:

Galaxyfalcon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 27, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »

Hey cephalo,

Thanks for answering my previous question! I'm just looking for a little more clarification on how to use the volcanism menu. Can you run me through really quick what I'm looking at here??

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For example, in this image I have 10% below zero volcanism. This makes sense to me, 10% of the map will basically not be fit to host a volcano. 50% of the map is below the igneous extrusive threshold. 70% of the map is below the volcano threshold, if i'm reading this correctly, the remaining 30% of the map is eligible for volcano placement.

If volcanoes need to occur in igneous extrusive layers, looking at how I have the map set up here, there's 20% of the map that is igneous extrusive but not eligible for volcano placement? What type of terrain would I find in the areas below 0 volcanism?

Elevation cusps: It looks like these shift where volcanism occurs: for example, at really high terrain or really low terrain. Is there a way to make volcanoes appear at both high terrtain and low terrain? Would setting these sliders both to the middle mean that mid-level terrain is where volcanoes would appear?

Thanks for any help explaining this.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 27, 2017, 07:46:27 pm »

Imported a world gen with elevation map from an earlier region. On the elevation page, the sea and tree levels didn't adjust to the ones in world gen, and I couldn't just set the numbers so I had to tune the %s by hand.

The default smooth brush is still a little too defined to look natural, but I couldn't undo or erase. How about a feather radius setting? Smear and blur brushes? An option to permit noise to distort brush strokes could also help blend it in.

EDIT: The manual says exporting world_gen.txt would be enough to build according to parameters generated with PW. I didn't believe that would do that, and I was right. I confirmed the worldgen data in my df installation was updated, but the world generated wasn't any different from one I would have generated with the data I imported into PW.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:13:09 am by Uzu Bash »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 27, 2017, 08:50:59 am »

For example, in this image I have 10% below zero volcanism. This makes sense to me, 10% of the map will basically not be fit to host a volcano. 50% of the map is below the igneous extrusive threshold. 70% of the map is below the volcano threshold, if i'm reading this correctly, the remaining 30% of the map is eligible for volcano placement.

Sorry for the late replies you two! Volcanos only appear at full vulcanism which is above the top slider. Also you must set the number of volcanoes in the map parameters.

Imported a world gen with elevation map from an earlier region. On the elevation page, the sea and tree levels didn't adjust to the ones in world gen, and I couldn't just set the numbers so I had to tune the %s by hand.

The default smooth brush is still a little too defined to look natural, but I couldn't undo or erase. How about a feather radius setting? Smear and blur brushes? An option to permit noise to distort brush strokes could also help blend it in.

EDIT: The manual says exporting world_gen.txt would be enough to build according to parameters generated with PW. I didn't believe that would do that, and I was right. I confirmed the worldgen data in my df installation was updated, but the world generated wasn't any different from one I would have generated with the data I imported into PW.

You should be able to undo the brush with ctrl-z. If I remember correctly I went overboard on this function and you might actually be able to undo it even after saving it as a pwset file.

The way the import export works is like so: If you import a world_gen.txt file that already has data in it, it will preserve that data unless you choose to throw it away. It doesn't actually import that data into PWDF for further editing. If you want to save a world created with PWDF, you have to save it as a pwset file if you want to edit it again. You can't restore your PWDF info from the world_gen.txt file.

So in summary, there are two files here. There's the world_gen.txt file that is there purely to interface with DF, but saving your work has to be done through the pwset file, which you save in the 'File' menu under 'Save Map Set'.

My latest forts:

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 11, 2017, 01:22:18 am »

Does anyone know how to get the noise maps to resemble the worldgen parameters I have defined in the file?
I'm having trouble generating stable worlds without perfect world (trying to avoid too many oceans, but wanting Complete Edge oceans or Partial), but I have trouble using PerfectWorld because it doesn't seem to generate noise maps based on my parameters, or I can't really tell if it sources from defined parameters. I don't like having 500+ rejections, but I don't also like having to spend an hour or two working on PerfectWorld maps only to get a world that I'm lukewarm about.

EDIT: That, and at this rate I'll have to isolate the Perfect World gen code that flags for filling in oceans smaller than a certain size to add to dorf fort gen'd worlds.

EDIT2: pull the trigger piglet, I wasn't aware that perfect world gen exports are just an export of result, rather than the variable that toggles the ocean filling gdi
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:51:37 am by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:08 am »

PWDF does all of it's own generation in terms of noise maps. It doesn't use the noise parameters in world_gen.txt. In fact, those should turn red as soon as you generate a map with PWDF, indicating that they are ignored.

PWDF also uses a different method to make coasts. You don't need the normal ocean edge settings for PWDF.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:54:26 am by cephalo »

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 29, 2017, 05:14:32 pm »

No world_gen.txt changes detected for 44.02. Let me know if any problems crop up.

My latest forts:

Sadday

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 30, 2017, 09:55:07 am »

Can someone help me out?

I'm trying to use the same word elevation/terrain map and only change the temperature and savagery maps but I can't import the elevation bitmap from DF legends view into PerfectWorld, it says the dimensions do not match.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54