Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Human Fortress... Getting it right...  (Read 11490 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fortress... Getting it right...
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 01:13:37 pm »

If you could find a way to do that, I would be happeh soul.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 01:22:07 pm »

I say keep mining. However, I would include the Sawmill workshop posted elsewhere to make wooden buildings more attractive to use.

In case you want dwarves to have something humans don't, remove, say, siege weapons and pumps. Possibly also the non-weapon trap components (the serrated discs and the like).
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 06:38:23 pm »

I say keep mining. However, I would include the Sawmill workshop posted elsewhere to make wooden buildings more attractive to use.

In case you want dwarves to have something humans don't, remove, say, siege weapons and pumps. Possibly also the non-weapon trap components (the serrated discs and the like).
What? Humans invented the screw pump as well as siege weapons. Why wouldn't they be able to build them?

Really the difference would be all up to the player, playing the humans as humans should be played. Aboveground stone and wooden buildings, farmland, etc. There isn't much a dorf can do that a human can't given time and expertise.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 08:02:47 pm »

The only real difference is preference I would presume... If you could do "dwarven made large plate mail" and "human made large plate mail" and the dwarf one is better. That'd make sense. I'd probably get rid of adamantine use, kinda always thought it was a special dwarf thing. Maybe the humans don't know how to tend to underground crops, so they're stuck to surface crops. In short... humans = standard... dwarf = better quality equipment and stuff...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 08:06:39 pm »

Yeah perhaps disallow humans to extract adamantine threads. They could still use raw adamantine for crafts and things.

And underground farming would have to go.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 08:53:07 pm »

Worst part is that if you remove the ability to extract the strands then it removes the whole crafting section from the jobs menu...unless that was fixed. If I had more time I would do a human mod...but I don't even have time to play =/

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »

What about simply removing strand extractor as a labor? Does that still have the oddball consequence of getting people with that labor as migrants sometimes?

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 08:55:39 pm »

If humans acquired cave plants. I don't see why they can't plant them. I don't see why farming them would be much differant then farming aboveground.

Plump helmets and dimple cups however. I don't know how long mushroom farms existed.
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 12:02:41 am »

What about simply removing strand extractor as a labor? Does that still have the oddball consequence of getting people with that labor as migrants sometimes?

Well that's what I mean....if you take the strand remover out of the humans description it makes the in game category of crafts on the job menu to disappear (all of them like stonecrafter, wood crafter etc)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 12:34:55 am »

Well that's what I mean....if you take the strand remover out of the humans description it makes the in game category of crafts on the job menu to disappear (all of them like stonecrafter, wood crafter etc)
Oh, that's unfortunate.

shrike.ex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 06:40:05 am »

Perhaps humans could be made to have a kind of reverse cave acclimation?  Spending significant amounts of time underground would begin to produce heavy negative modifiers to mood, making it impossible to live in subterranean environments.  Humans could still mine underground, and even farm there should they acquire the necessary spawn/seeds, they simply could not live there without enormous effort, making surface dwelling far more attractive.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 11:15:20 am »

Perhaps humans could be made to have a kind of reverse cave acclimation?  Spending significant amounts of time underground would begin to produce heavy negative modifiers to mood, making it impossible to live in subterranean environments.  Humans could still mine underground, and even farm there should they acquire the necessary spawn/seeds, they simply could not live there without enormous effort, making surface dwelling far more attractive.

That is actually realistic...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:08 pm »

I don't think its possible in the current version though.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 01:27:00 pm »

You could make the underground very hostile to human life, via toxins in stones that wouldn't faze dwarves. Shame plants can't put out poison gas, or that could be handy.

JusticeRings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 01:56:36 pm »

is it possible to do toxins that are not that big of a deal? maybe occasional vomiting after long exposure?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4