Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Human Fortress... Getting it right...  (Read 11489 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fortress... Getting it right...
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 04:54:55 pm »

I have heard that low severity conditions tend to be exacerbated by repeated exposure, so if that's true, you ought to be able to make headaches, nausea, and other mild concerns ramp up after a while, yes.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 04:03:26 am »

One thing I actually prefer to do with humans is remove the ability to make artifacts....the reason being I think that the positive (items of great value) outweigh the negatives (possible to lose people to moods)

Not to mention they have a much shorter life span (if you play long enough) so that presents a certain issue in itself when people start dieing off before one might be used to.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 04:07:05 am »

Has anyone actually started making this mod?

I wants to play me a human fortress but I don't have even half the talent it would require to do right.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 04:07:49 am »

Meh, I'm too lazy/untalented/generic excuse
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 05:20:15 am »

What exactly do you want from a human fortress? You can simply move the controllable token on any of the human civs in Genesis for example. Nords, Osmans and Wesmans all have different-styled weapons and equipment, so you should find one which suits your taste (osmans are a samurai/eastern nation, wesmans are knight/medieval nation and nords are mythological norsemen).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

don't see the point. Now an elf fortress.. at least you'd be able to eat your dead.
Tharwen cancels butcher dead animal: interrupted by Zombie Badger

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 04:28:23 pm »

lol perhaps...then again you could make a cannibal tribe or something for humans...which I haven't seen suggested anywhere. I simply prefer it cause I am picky and if I want the challenge of an above ground fortress I don't want to be a dwarf....its so not dwarf like

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 12:20:17 am »

I like how all I asked was how to make sure Humans were playable, seeing as it wasn't just a simple change of the raws anymore. And it turned into making an Actual Human Mod... Odd...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 12:29:37 am »

Really, we just need a basic "Now humans are playable in fortress mode with most features enabled." The minimum includes but is not limited to due to things I may have left out: nobility, proper crafting and mining, trading with most everybody and screw pumps. No need to add more content in.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 03:03:34 am »

I like how all I asked was how to make sure Humans were playable, seeing as it wasn't just a simple change of the raws anymore. And it turned into making an Actual Human Mod... Odd...
Its the thread title. It makes us want to discuss how to do it right.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 04:00:05 am »

Really, we just need a basic "Now humans are playable in fortress mode with most features enabled." The minimum includes but is not limited to due to things I may have left out: nobility, proper crafting and mining, trading with most everybody and screw pumps. No need to add more content in.

I agree considering the overall playability is on the same level of playing dwarfs if you know what to switch...there needs to be a civilization selector....since it all transfers over so well

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 05:02:02 am »

So just to be clear, does anyone have an easy way to play as humans? No offense to Deon but I am not interested in his modded world, I just want vanilla DF as humans with everything working as well as it can.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 05:45:17 am »

So just to be clear, does anyone have an easy way to play as humans? No offense to Deon but I am not interested in his modded world, I just want vanilla DF as humans with everything working as well as it can.

Other than copy/pasting a few things from the raws (ESPECIALLY THE STRAND EXTRACTION JOB AND NOBLES) no there isn't a much better way...although it should only take a few minutes and possibly more if you tweak some of the professions names (eg spear dwarf to spear man).

think it is already posted on the first page...and I would do it for you but I don't even have DF on my computer. If you need me to do it for you just pm me and ill send it to you ASAP

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 06:08:37 am »

Other than copy/pasting a few things from the raws (ESPECIALLY THE STRAND EXTRACTION JOB AND NOBLES) no there isn't a much better way...although it should only take a few minutes and possibly more if you tweak some of the professions names (eg spear dwarf to spear man).

think it is already posted on the first page...and I would do it for you but I don't even have DF on my computer. If you need me to do it for you just pm me and ill send it to you ASAP
Now I feel all lazy.

I had a pretty good handle on the 40d raws but haven't much idea on how the new ones work.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 07:16:35 am »

They work EXACTLY the same way. There's no changes to entity file but new nobles and permitted jobs/reactions.

Just move the playability token ([CIV_CONTROLLABLE]) and copy the nobles/reactions/buildings you want from dwarves to humans.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4