Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to dwarf fortress (need input and an answer)  (Read 8949 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New to dwarf fortress (need input and an answer)
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:13:43 pm »

Hi!

So as the title says I'm totally new to dwarf fortress, but I'm loving it so far. My first two fortresses were more or less a failure (I think I had a tantrum spiral is what you guys call it  :-\) but my third fortress is starting to function.
Still learning what everything does and how everything works etc. I'm just curious how my fortress looks to you wise old dwarves in here.

Here's a pic of my entrance/farm http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2upy3jk&s=6
Growing mostly plump helmets but dabbling in some other crops, mostly pig tail stuff.

Here's the main crafting area  http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=v46j6h&s=6
Got most of my food processing running here, mostly brewing and cooking and dabbling a bit in the soap making. Got a weaver and clothier up and running. Also lots of metalworking but I'm still looking for magma fuel since I don't have enough wood (lazy woodcutter).

And here's the dwarven houses http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2iv1qht&s=6
Just begun my project of cleaning the place up by removing all the rocks and making an all silver floor and electrum wall (got lots of both). Digging out more as the immigrants arrive.

Anyways, the problems I keep running into is my dwarves are often very thirsty and hungry, yet my food stockpiles are overflowing. All my dwarves are beginning to get sluggish while I have like ten barrles of dwarven rum waiting to be consumed. Anyone know why they aren't just getting their food from the stockpile (upper left on the second pic)?

P.S. Yes I like symmetry

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: New to dwarf fortress (need input and an answer)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 01:12:49 pm »

Welcome to the world of Dwarf Fortress!

The problem of Dwarves not dropping their tasks to go eat before they die has been (supposidly) fixed in the latest version (.08). If you are using an older version, try downloading maydays newest pack, move your save folder over, and copy DF/raw into your saves region#/raw

So yeah, its been sort of a bug over the last while.

Also, those rooms are HUGE. I usualy give my Dwarves 2x2 closets :P
Everyone in your fort must feel like a Noble
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:30:47 pm »

Better watch out if you get far enough for your economy to kick in - you might end up with a lot of homeless dwarves with living quarters that swanky. I advise you build some slums :D

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:31:25 pm »

A silver floor and electrum walls is a nice luxury but I'd worry about getting some steel armour and steel axes on some dwarfs first.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 11:46:08 pm »

Heh, ya, you can make their rooms big, but they really don't care much if they are smaller. There is a slight increase in happiness for really nice rooms, but a 3x3 fully engraved is pretty much all you need; at most a statue for a 3x3 engraved and even most nobles will be satisfied with it. Or at least as satisfied as they can be as they are melting in magma due to certain special levels installed in their rooms...
The economy doesn't kick in til later; so you won't need to worry with that til you get up a bit more, assuming you make it that long (and for a 3rd fort, its likely you won't).

Also, a tip about images on the forums, you can use img /img tags (in brackets) with the url of the image in between the brackets and embed the images right on the forums. Put spoiler /spoiler tags around the img /img tags so they don't take up tons of room on the page, and you will be all set.

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 01:27:05 am »

Welcome to the world of Dwarf Fortress!

The problem of Dwarves not dropping their tasks to go eat before they die has been (supposidly) fixed in the latest version (.08). If you are using an older version, try downloading maydays newest pack, move your save folder over, and copy DF/raw into your saves region#/raw

So yeah, its been sort of a bug over the last while.

Also, those rooms are HUGE. I usualy give my Dwarves 2x2 closets :P
Everyone in your fort must feel like a Noble

2x3 room, table, throne, coffer, cabinet, bed.   Smooth walls, but not engraved.

Iffen you don't like stone clutter, mass hide designation is dbh.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:27:15 am »

No worries I have a little militia running. Although they've been training for a long time now, not sure wether they still classify as militia.
They're equiped with bronze weaponry and bronze plate armor (I haven't found a single iron ore yet strangely) so they should be able to defend against an ambush.
But I don't think there's an immediate threat near my fortress, I settled in a pretty quiet location and because of it the only nearby civilization are some annoying elves and some antman colony whatever those are.

Dunno what that dwarven economy is, whats it do and when does it start?  ???

Ah one more problem I've been having. Got two immagrant with the hunting skills but I can't get them to hunt. Even though they have no other task and there's some wild animals outside they just stay idle. I've made additional crossbows and ammo, disabled and enabled the hunting skill and have an arsenal dwarf incase they need more equipment but they won't do anything.

Corbald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 03:26:05 am »

Hit (M)ilitary -> (F) Ammunition -> and choose 'Bolts' for your hunters. There is still a slight equipment bug with hunters to watch out for though, if they run out of ammo in their quivers, they won't go get more. You'll get a notice about it, and just toggle the hunting labor off, unpause, wait a sec, then toggle it back on.. if they still won't hunt, make sure they have x-bow/quiver/ammo, and if they still won't, hit 'u' and scroll down until you see some 'Wild Animals.' If there aren't any, you know why they won't hunt.. if there are, then highlight the animal, and hit 'c' to zoom to it. Make sure it's in an accessible location. And if even that won't do it, you're screwed. :D

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 06:29:16 am »

Whoah, those are some enormous farms.  Just one of those plots is way more than you'd need to feed a large fort.  You might want to consider breaking down into 2x2 or 3x3 plots so you can grow a wider variety of less stuff.

A lot more organized than my forts though :p
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:20:20 pm »

Right, four 4x4 plots growing plump helmets, sweet pods, cave wheat and quarry bushes is more than enough for anything up to and including 100 dwarves that aren't running a meat industry.

For your next fortress design, I'd suggest focusing on something more interesting and not worrying so much about functionality/efficiency :) I've just moved away from boring barracks - food - workshops - houses linearity and gone for a megaproject panopticon design.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:23:05 pm by Leperous »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 02:46:47 pm »

Dunno what that dwarven economy is, whats it do and when does it start?  ???
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Economy
It starts very later in the game when you have alot of dwarves or export. Its basically a broken/unfinished feature right now. I'd recommend disabling it (read the link I posted)
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack