Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 212489 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2010, 03:42:54 am »

I'm trying to start DF on my Arch64 box (32-bit chroot) and encountered three issues so far:

1. A weird locale issue:
Code: [Select]
(process:5546): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
What *is* your locale?

2. DF ignoring my "-sound_output OSS" switch. I tried putting it in the launcher script, I tried issuing it at the command line itself, I tried several combinations of underscores, hyphens and capitalization – DF always wanted to use ALSA, even though OSS was listed as a viable output.
There's no way to set the output system via command-line switch at the moment. It's a todo. Meanwhile, you can do as the output suggests and use ~/.openalrc.

3. The following comes up whenever I start DF:
Code: [Select]
(process:7031): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Sound devices available:
ALSA Software
OSS Software
Picking ALSA Software. If your desired device was missing, make sure you have the appropriate 32-bit libraries installed. If you wanted a different device, configure ~/.openalrc appropriately.
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
(--lots of other ALSA-related error messages--)
Initializing OpenAL failed, no sound will be played
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt

(dwarfort.exe:7031): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'
Then I get a GTK error dialog with all boxes instead of proper letters:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

…and DF is gone.

Does anyone have an idea how I could at least get the error dialog to display properly?
I've seen that a few times before, but I really don't know why it happens. At a guess, fixing the locale issues will fix the error dialog too.

Another todo, then: Make the dialog function also print to stdout, so you can at least read the text. And as a log. It's just good style.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2010, 03:44:43 am »

Slartibartfast: -sound_output currently does nothing. Well, see above.

The "file not found" errors you get are due to your libsndfile not understanding oggs. Update it if you want sound.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2010, 03:58:39 am »

Hi!

I forgot to mention that I am on Windows XP (^_^;;

A minor thing I find a bit irritating: When typing in values while setting the world gen parameters manually, the number keys also still increase and decrease the old value. It is not a big problem as the value is replaced anyway, but it is somewhat irritating.

Example: Some setting is currently "400". If you press "RETURN" and then type in "140", when the "4" in "140" is typed, the old value changes to "399".

Deathworks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2010, 04:03:31 am »

I am also having the same problem as Deathworks considering F11.

Also:

I am having problems with key bindings - it works fine IN the game, but if I change anything (more specifically: keys for up/down z-level) in the "interface" txt file in init folder, "Enter" key stop functioning completely, even if I change keys back to normal in that file. Also, keys changed do not save next time when you run DF.

For me it is just a very minor thing though. I do not know if this is a bug or something else, but it is not a real game-braker.
It is also possible it is just me having some problems.

As for speed, I am still toying around with print_modes, but in my current fort with 2x2 embark, with nice portion ofmagma sea and caverns explored, 126 dwarfes, 21 animals and 60+ strong invasion currently going on, I get raise from ~30 to ~40 fps max.
Frankly, I am not bothered by this, since I got used to play without fps counter so I do not notice the slowdown so often. In fact, before testing .04 I was sure I am running more that 60fps or so.  :D
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2010, 04:05:00 am »

Probably due to CR/CRLF confusion in your editor. Try the in-game keybinding editor?

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2010, 04:13:43 am »

What *is* your locale?
LANG=de_DE.utf8

I tried starting DF with LC_ALL=C  dwarffortress, which makes the warning about locales disappear but doesn't change the look of the dialog box.

There's no way to set the output system via command-line switch at the moment. It's a todo. Meanwhile, you can do as the output suggests and use ~/.openalrc.

Oh, right  :-[ Hm… I put "(devices'(native))" into my ~/.openalrc (I also tried putting it into my chroot's /etc/openalrc), but DF apparently still wants to use ALSA.

Edit: I fixed the locale problem. I hadn't generated the locales after I installed the chroot. Please hit me with a stick. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the dialog box.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:18:25 am by runiq »

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2010, 04:15:38 am »

Slartibartfast: -sound_output currently does nothing. Well, see above.

The "file not found" errors you get are due to your libsndfile not understanding oggs. Update it if you want sound.
Thanks, that works now.
Kind of annoying how it won't auto-update and I had to download a package for karmic :(
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2010, 04:16:11 am »

Sorry, double post.

Trukkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2010, 04:16:49 am »

Would anyone object if I made DF automatically turn off num lock?
As long as I can turn off the 'feature' that turns off numlock, sure. I hate it when programs mess with the 'locks and don't change them back when they lose focus.
He needs distractions to get through the working day.

grymwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2010, 04:23:16 am »

I've run into a bug in the stocks screen where any time I try to move to the stones line to see how much ore/fuel I have, it hangs for a second and then skips to the next line up or down (depending on which direction I was coming from).

Don't hit the button more than once. ;) That little lagspike's been common if you have a LOT for the game to take in.

That didn't solve it in my case - multiple attempts - tried both the pgup/pgdown method from exactly 1 screen away and multiple attempts going up/down from above and below.

Granted I have about 17k of stone cut out - but with the sheer amount of stone you can dig out it's nearly impossible to tell without access to this screen exactly how much of which you have.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2010, 04:40:49 am »

Hi!

I have an update on the F11 issue I reported before.

When I started the game again, the game screen was not as before, only taking up the left part of the screen in full screen mode.

I then changed the settings for FULLSCREENX and FULLSCREENY to 800 and 600 instead of the 0s which activated the automatic sizing => The screen looked as it ought to look.

Changing the settings for windowed mode (640 and 480 or 640 and 300) suddenly made the toggling between windowed mode and full screen possible. It seems that if you are in full screen mode, the windowed mode messes up its resizing calculation if left to its own devices resulting in a window that takes up the entire screen at the full screen resolution.

So, I suggest that the automatic sizes are not the default as they do not work correctly.

Deathworks

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2010, 05:03:47 am »

Additional bug (again, Ubuntu 9.04 and a crappy intel gpu)
When drawing is set to ACCUM_BUFFER, after starting a new game (pressing 'e' for embark) I get a blank screen and this gets written into the console:
The program 'dwarfort.exe' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 30052 error_code 9 request_code 136 minor_code 9)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

rerunning with STANDARD works, so it might be lame gfx card's fault.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2010, 05:07:54 am »

Good to hear that Deathworks. I fiddled a bit with window size option, but not yet FULLSCREEN, so that helps a bit.

Probably due to CR/CRLF confusion in your editor. Try the in-game keybinding editor?
I was a bit unclear, yes. Ahem, I should say that it works fine if I use keybinding in the game, as you suggested, but that does not save next timr I run DF.exe.

Hmmm, after a bit more testing: I thought there might be a problem with [BIND:MOVIES:REPEAT_NOT] having the same symbol as I asigned for going up z-level, ";". Turns out that changing this to, for example, "_" forks just fine for movies, but "enter" key still stops functioning.
I am editing this in an ordinary notepad.

After more testing it seems "enter" stops functioning even if I just change BIND:CURSOR_UP_Z:REPEAT_SLOW] from > to < then back to > and save.
Maybe I am doing just something wrong?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2010, 05:07:59 am »

THANK YOU!
...just figures it's the day after I start my community fortress.
Are the saves compatible?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 55