Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 212180 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2010, 05:09:31 am »

Deathworks: I think I'd rather fix the calculations.

Slartibartfast: Yep, definitely your card.

Dante: This is an Obsidian Obelisk. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of a collapsing planet in positronium. The planet is giant.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2010, 05:10:41 am »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned these issues yet, but just posting "me too" may not be helpful.  Now, I've never used any of the OpenGL D## releases before, so I don't have much to compare them too.  But here's some things I've had-

-Any time the cursor is on the screen, and then I cancel it away, the window flashes.  It's a little annoying.
-The performance is faster (maybe, I usually cap FPS at 100 anyway, since otherwise the game would surpass 500 at embark), but the program stutters and freezes every 10-15 seconds.  This might be another program running, but I always have other programs (like a browser) running before without causing issues.
-Loading and saving takes twice as long as it did before, and worldgen was a crawl on a Medium sized world.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2010, 05:28:58 am »

Just to check, having the DF accelerator dll in the same folder as this new version would be bad, yes?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Fox the Undead

• Bay Watcher
  • Frozen Dwarf Gas
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2010, 06:09:44 am »

Baughn
I object the automatic numlock toggling in DF. It can be an option in init, but turned off by default.

Btw, can you explain why this version uses custom cursor?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2010, 06:17:42 am »

I don't like automatic things as well. I mostly operate DF by numpad keys, so...
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2010, 06:21:08 am »

Hi!

Okay, full screen to windowed switching seems to be more of an issue; when I started again, F11 suddenly wouldn't work. I turned resizable window on and it worked again.

Even though I have all mouse interaction turned off, when the mouse is moved, the mouse cursor will appear on the screen.

Starting my first fortress, I decided to switch to windowed mode - and it seems that doing so while not paused (game speed at 200 FPS, which is the maximum I set) made something collapse - the game stopped responding and the mode change did not happen. The task manager said that it was hogging 50% of the CPU workload - given that I am on a dual core system, that means it has maxed out one CPU, if I understand that correctly. Memory consumption was only at 380 MB without any changes occurring.

Deathworks

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2010, 07:05:33 am »

... Partial:N is also horrible (but instead of flickering it seems like it simply doesn't erase the previous screen and so you get a sort of motion blur effect).

Getting this as well - the old screen content takes a while to fade with partial of 2 or higher.
Can't say that my current game is much faster with the 2d modes, but I just realized I got elven traders in my depot, so in hindsight it is probably a bad comparison. Should start a new game for testing purposes.

Edit: Expectedly, it works better on a fresh embark without littering elves. Hovers around 40 (9) in the 2D modes with the G_FPS at 10. I might trying to lower it to match the stated G_FPS.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:09:32 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2010, 07:11:26 am »

I don't know where to ask this, but i'll ask it here.

Is there a way I can change the end button back to space bar, I hate reaching for ESC all the time to do anything.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2010, 07:18:24 am »

Is there a way I can change the end button back to space bar, I hate reaching for ESC all the time to do anything.
Just change it in the keybindings. Worked for me back in 31.01/.02/.03, haven't had time to check out .04 yet.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2010, 07:19:59 am »

Okay, made some serious testing with the speed. Here is the settings I use:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The settings are more or less the same I used with .03, though raise the FPS_GAP to 2000 from 1500.

Title screen:
In .03, the maximum was somewhere 1000-1200 FPS, so never reached the gap. In .04, I reached the 2000 FPS, which is the maximum with my settings  :o

World generation with parameters -screen:
In .03 it was around 1000 FPS. In .04, It started in 1500, stayed there for a bit, then raised to 2000.

The world generation:
.03: Starts out with 100 FPS, usually drops down to 10 FPS pretty soon. Most of the times even as low as 1 FPS if I'm genning world with more history than 300 years.
.04: While creating the actual world, the FPS hanged around 200 FPS. When history creation begun, the FPS dropped to 9 FPS for brief moment, then went back to 15 FPS. After that, it dropped about 1 FPS per 100 years, ending around 9 FPS with history of over 1000 years.

Offloading units:
.03: The numbers were stranges, jumping even up to 20k.
.04: Slow, went down to 300 FPS and still dropping.

Embark location selection -screen:
.03: Around 400 FPS, dropping down to 100 when moving cursor.
.04: 2000 FPS all the time

The game:
.03: While paused, the normal is somewhere around 500-800 FPS, depending on the location of embark (3*3 with brook). While running, the FPS may get to even 250 FPS, but that's rare, usually it stays somewhere around 100-120 FPS, dropping down to 70 FPS after some time. So far it has been pretty stable 70, only occasion peeks in lag, usually caused by something like generating invasion or such.
.04: Paused stays in 2000 FPS. Unpaused, fresh game runs in mighty 550 FPS with one woodcutter cutting trees and one miner mining couple of 3 tiles wide passage.

So, to summarize the results, which does not take in account the possible affects of graphics, generally the game is running much faster than .03. I will return to this when I have fort with bit of age behind, so I can tell how the FPS changes during the time.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2010, 07:39:20 am »

Just change it in the keybindings. Worked for me back in 31.01/.02/.03, haven't had time to check out .04 yet.

Where can I change the key bindings?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2010, 07:40:11 am »

In the "esc" menu.

Do I have to gen a new world to get fish?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2010, 07:48:20 am »

Let's get a listing of everyone who is getting the "GPU unable to accomodate texture catalog" error. With;

Operating System
Video Card
Init changes.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X550
Changes: I did [GRAPHICS: ON]

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2010, 07:56:04 am »

Yay!  New version!

On OS X 10.5.8, with 0.31.04.  I tried to save my embark setup.  The default name is "Profile 1", which I wanted to change.  I discovered that backspace inserted "mountain" characters (triangles) and delete did nothing.  In the end, I saved it with a name full of weird characters and then edited data/init/embark_profiles.txt.

It's a minor inconvenience, but I'm worried that it will recur when I'm editing things I really care about (like profession names, etc.)

kurrata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:16 am »

Generated large region map(took few hours). when i try to load it in dwarffortress mode i get memory error
[martins@localhost ~]$ dwarffortress
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog.
GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog.
Segmentation fault

I can play small map i generated

archlinux x86
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55