Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 212735 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #555 on: May 22, 2010, 02:05:19 am »

To all having crashes - do you wait a little or does game crash completely, shutting down on it's own?
Because it happened to me for, say, 2 or 3 times that everything just froze and I thought it's a crash. But after waiting for a bit and not pressing any buttons, game continued normaly.
It is probably not related to the crashes others are having, but asking anyway.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 22, 2010, 02:08:11 am »

To all having crashes - do you wait a little or does game crash completely, shutting down on it's own?
Because it happened to me for, say, 2 or 3 times that everything just froze and I thought it's a crash. But after waiting for a bit and not pressing any buttons, game continued normaly.
It is probably not related to the crashes others are having, but asking anyway.

That may be related to http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1899

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #557 on: May 22, 2010, 02:25:21 am »

Ah, sorry, did not even think about checking mantis.
But my game freezes for 10 seconds at most, so it might just be my computer or something completely different.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Bernard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 22, 2010, 03:26:34 am »

I can confirm that the rain melting bug still exists.
New world created in the download of .04  Temperate region, Terrifying, Summer, I had my dwarves melting away in the rain, (just as they were finishing building the pump system to try and punch through the aquifer layers).
I was grumpy and hit abandon fortress a bit foolishly though, should have retained the save, my apologies for that.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 22, 2010, 03:35:29 am »

I can confirm that the rain melting bug still exists.
New world created in the download of .04  Temperate region, Terrifying, Summer, I had my dwarves melting away in the rain, (just as they were finishing building the pump system to try and punch through the aquifer layers).
I was grumpy and hit abandon fortress a bit foolishly though, should have retained the save, my apologies for that.

It's known and should hopefully be fixed -- Toady found a corner case that hadn't been fixed the first time.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 22, 2010, 03:38:29 am »

I can confirm that launching DF from steam works right and gives the steam overlay

just putting that put there

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 22, 2010, 03:49:00 am »

Hi!

Coldstone: I can't help you with the crashes, but the F11 issue seems to be related to the routines for automatically sizing things. I recommend you play around with the x and y settings for both windowed and fullscreen mode (I think one of them even defaults to complete automatic) in the init.txt .

But don't expect to find settings that give you reliably and consistently a good-looking windowed mode (I am just glad I was able to stabilize full screen mode - the windowed mode usually starts out in some odd-sized window I need to resize).

Sinistar: Various things can cause a lot of activity that can freeze your computer temporarily as they are calculated:
* Thawing
* Caravan arrival (usually comparatively small)
* Caravan leaving the map (much more trouble than the arrival of that same caravan)

Deathworks

EDIT: Removed ambiguity
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 03:51:45 am by Deathworks »

ebbus h. urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 22, 2010, 06:23:35 am »

Well, some feedback on using this version.

On the linux version, I dont get sound either. The problem is that my soundcard is very finicky and only likes to work on OSS, no ALSA or PULSE support for it.
The readme / release notes told me to use the "-sound_output" arg, but it still defaults to using ALSA.
I've gathered from the forums that the arg is broken at the moment.
Not a huge deal for me, at least. DF isnt that sound/music heavy at the moment, so :p

Some other things that I got from both the linux and win versions:
The sitefinder bug that makes it hang unless you keep pressing your mouse button in the window.. bugtracker tells me it's already worked on, luckily.

The FPS counter: I realy dont like how this changed from 28. It's placed in a way that blocks off feedback / information a lot of the time, and it's very unaesthetic even when it doesnt. I'm not sure how much this is due to the new graphics / window resizing handling rewrite, but it would be nice if you can toggle it off or change the position with a hotkey.

Woof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 22, 2010, 09:28:55 am »

I can confirm that launching DF from steam works right and gives the steam overlay

just putting that put there

and it works with xfire if you rename it back to dwarfort.exe and specify the path manually :) It's worked on all the df2010 builds as far as I know, but that accelerator code broke it XD

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 22, 2010, 12:54:26 pm »

Smelting fixed next release, assume the texture load error will be fixed too.  Think I'll take a break from DF the same time Toady does. :)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 22, 2010, 03:04:41 pm »

There's a really bad problem with my computer. For some reason, the game puts up the windowed size in fullscreen, blacking out the rest of the screen. No matter what I do to the init file, It won't fix. In fact, fresh off of download, It just won't fullscreen. It makes the text a little fatter, and that's it! There's something seriously wrong with the graphics right now.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 22, 2010, 03:32:05 pm »

There's a really bad problem with my computer. For some reason, the game puts up the windowed size in fullscreen, blacking out the rest of the screen. No matter what I do to the init file, It won't fix. In fact, fresh off of download, It just won't fullscreen. It makes the text a little fatter, and that's it! There's something seriously wrong with the graphics right now.

It may be related to this bug.  Might be helpful if you post your OS and graphics card specs there.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 22, 2010, 03:47:12 pm »

I had the same problem with the official release, but I'm now using the genesis mod emergent realease and it works fine now.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 22, 2010, 04:04:45 pm »

It may be related to this bug.  Might be helpful if you post your OS and graphics card specs there.
I can't access the bug tracker... Wait, I'll get the specs and put them here...

Graphics card:ATI Radeon HD 4550

that's all I can get. I'm not good with computers...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:09:48 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 22, 2010, 11:20:49 pm »

Probably already stated, but don't turn your FPS cap off. The massive number jumping is fairly annoying. I go from about 160000 FPS to 97000, with many 'jitterings' in the 100's range to cause a massive blur of numerical input. Not too bad a 'problem' though :D
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 55