Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 211354 times)

Metaverse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #570 on: May 23, 2010, 01:54:52 am »

Ths isn't very helpful as I am not sure whats causing it, but my game has been reliably crashing with no input whatsoever after about 20 minutes. One even caused a hard reboot of my PC which prompted me to test my gpu temp just in case it was my card. (nvidia)

I tried disbanding miltary, different init modes, nothing seems to work.
I will try a new fort to see if it may be a courrpt save game and update my drivers whie I am at it.
This happening to anyone else?
Update: That seemed to fix it. (Update nvidia xp drivers)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:41:37 am by Metaverse »

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 23, 2010, 02:03:10 pm »

Not sure what to make of this bug, but it's pretty jacked.  Repro case:

1) Generate a world, choose Start Playing, Dwarf Fortress.
2) When choosing your fortress location, hit f to Find Desired Location.
3) Using 8293 and 46, set Temperature=Medium, Flux Stone=Yes, Aquifer=No, River=Yes.
4) Hit Enter.

What happens at this point is incredibly bizarre.  Game says "Searching 1/xx" (xx will be variable based on your world), but the blinking yellow "X" cursor keeps blinking (as if the game thinks it found something yet it hasn't).  If you hit any key (including Enter, Escape, anything!), the cursor briefly stops blinking, then "Searching 3/xx...".  In between the non-blinking, some of the attributes go from green to red.  Then the cursor starts blinking again, forcing you to hit a key, etc. etc. etc...

It's almost as if there's a break statement for each search phase/iteration, rather than only when the game finds something that meets said criteria.

If this description doesn't make any sense, I can post a short video of the problem.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:04:50 pm by koitsu »
Making life hard for others since 1977.

IonKitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 23, 2010, 02:37:26 pm »

Decided to Create Large Region instead of a Large Island. DF decided to have trouble placing lakes/minerals and caves. Resolved itself after a while, 28 rejects overall but usually chose to restart during lakes/minerals or caves stages instead of instantly like most.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 23, 2010, 04:26:29 pm »

HOLY friggin bajeezuz!

On the previous version, I had to embark on the smallest map possible so that it didn't lag out (Terrible 2004 backup PC), and after 2 years of building my above-ground fort, it eventually became less than a crawl. I've been logging into my save every once in a while to play, but it's always been excruciatingly slow, waiting for them to haul from the quarry to the second floor (<50 steps distance).

But now with the OpenGL update, It's going like a new game, maybe automatically being capped at 100fps. Excellent.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 23, 2010, 09:36:14 pm »

Did you turn off the mouse in the init?  Turning that back on appears to have cleared up similar problems for me where the game wasn't displaying the tileset correctly.

This. Maybe.  I believe the issue is that the game is zoomed to a level you don't expect.  The grid & fullgrid options are gone so you can't give a hint where you would like to be zoomed & you have to set the zoom level yourself.

I gave this a shot and it didn't seem to make a difference.  This problem is also occurring in 2D mode, which doesn't support zooming if I remember correctly.

I am usually stuck with the default grid size; but sometimes (though rarely and arbitrarily), I get the grid size I want without changing settings. Based on this, I feel as though there may be a problem with the game determining the grid size from the window size, or determining it and then "forgetting" it and going back to the default grid size.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:37:57 pm by iambap »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 23, 2010, 11:54:26 pm »

Not sure what to make of this bug, but it's pretty jacked.  Repro case:

1) Generate a world, choose Start Playing, Dwarf Fortress.
2) When choosing your fortress location, hit f to Find Desired Location.
3) Using 8293 and 46, set Temperature=Medium, Flux Stone=Yes, Aquifer=No, River=Yes.
4) Hit Enter.

What happens at this point is incredibly bizarre.  Game says "Searching 1/xx" (xx will be variable based on your world), but the blinking yellow "X" cursor keeps blinking (as if the game thinks it found something yet it hasn't).  If you hit any key (including Enter, Escape, anything!), the cursor briefly stops blinking, then "Searching 3/xx...".  In between the non-blinking, some of the attributes go from green to red.  Then the cursor starts blinking again, forcing you to hit a key, etc. etc. etc...

It's almost as if there's a break statement for each search phase/iteration, rather than only when the game finds something that meets said criteria.

If this description doesn't make any sense, I can post a short video of the problem.

It's a known bug.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 24, 2010, 05:59:31 am »

I can no longer use my mouse to designate.  Anyone else having the same issue?

Yeah I have this problem.  The mouse doesn't work at all for me anymore, the previously mouse enabled menus like the military are not working as well as designations.

timbojones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 24, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »

One even caused a hard reboot of my PC

A hard reboot of the machine is always, always a hardware or driver issue.  Sometimes software can 'fix' this kind of issue by working around the driver bug.  On modern operating systems, userland software in and of itself does not have access to low enough levels to break the machine and cause it to reboot.

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 24, 2010, 08:37:26 pm »

Just had a crash.

Here's the error log
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here's the end of the gamelog

and my possibly helpful narrative

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09:18 pm »

Just thought I'd mention what I think could be considered a minor problem:
I had a dwarven adventurer with no weapons of armor squaring off against a Sasquatch.  Naturally this didn't look too good and, as I expected, within a few rounds of combat the adventurer had received a flashing "MORTAL WOUND" warning after getting punch in the chest and loosing function in his left lung and a kidney.  I desperate rage I tried and tried to get ahold of its' head in order to blind it with a good gouging before slipping the mortal coil, only I couldn't quite get it.  Then, after about 15 tries I realized that that coil should have probably slipped by now.  After a time the Sasquatch gave in to exhaustion and I just walked away, "MORTAL WOUND" light still flashing, with only a "WINDED" warning appearing every few steps and halving my land speed.  In the end I managed to get enough space between myself and the enemy to fast travel, and during my next random encounter (a few map squares away) I noticed that my mortally damaged internal organs were all better and things were pretty much alright.
By contrast I had another adventure who had to retire because she had her back broken and had to drag herself everywhere, and that was a persistent condition. 

In brief - I had a mortally wounded dwarf that refused to die and that seemed to regenerate destroyed organs.

Additionally I have found two quirks of world generation: Every individual I meet is either "incredibly skinny" or "incredibly muscular";and, while all societies are polytheistic in theory, in practice only one religion is ever actualized on the world stage. eg. On the world with both of those adventurers all humans in one nation builds temples to a deitess of Dance while all in another dedicate themselves to the deity of Mist.  Not that it isn't interesting, but it happens on all the worlds I create.

In brief - No one is of average size and everyone goes to the same church.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 25, 2010, 09:44:04 am »

Tried the Linux client, the poor thing exploded on me while trying to generate a world. Probably the fault of my broken graphics set, but still, crashes are bad.

EDIT: Seems to be related to this, so feel free to ignore me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:53:04 am by smariot »
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 25, 2010, 10:16:38 am »

i dont know if this was reported or is it just me but

metallurgy is broken hardcore
sometimes when i order x amout of metal furniture(via manager), smith keeps making them endlessly
sometimes items marked for melting will stay in smlter, eating up your coke in wtf speed, giving back no metal bars
when you mark some metal furn for melting via stock screen, it marks some stone (!!) furn for metling as well
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:18:31 am by Z1000000m »

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 25, 2010, 12:13:12 pm »

i dont know if this was reported or is it just me but

metallurgy is broken hardcore
sometimes when i order x amout of metal furniture(via manager), smith keeps making them endlessly
sometimes items marked for melting will stay in smlter, eating up your coke in wtf speed, giving back no metal bars
when you mark some metal furn for melting via stock screen, it marks some stone (!!) furn for metling as well

There are several bugs reported against the metal industry.
The material of the produced item frequently does not match the material supposedly used to make it
Attempting to melt items often results in a crash.  You're actually lucky it's staying alive.  well, that's debatable...   ;)
Having stone marked for melting, and no bars being produced, might be clues on the crash bug

Someone also reported getting steel bars for free, in the sense that it seemed to allow steel to be produced without consuming iron and/or pig iron.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 25, 2010, 04:37:38 pm »

Has there been a fix to the Graphics bug yet?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 25, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 55