Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 212439 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 28, 2010, 06:21:35 am »

You kidding me?  I've put myself through 1 - 2 fps for regular DF games, hours spent watching my dwarfs going to the stockpile and then drinking for hours. 

Some people don't realize how good they have it...

1 to 2 FPS? Luxury! Why, we used to have to share a single frame every minute, all twenty-six of us, with no backlight, and 'alf the screen was missing, and we were all huddled in one corner for fear of falling...

A single frame? You were lucky to have a frame! We had to live in the hole of a punch card dropped under the central housing of a UNIVAC II in a decommissioned nuclear silo, and every-morning we'd have to get up at 4;00 AM and die of radiation that was leaking from a nearby cracked warhead. But we were happy then....

*sticks nose in air*
A whole punch card? YOU WERE LUCKY TO HAVE A PUNCH CARD! Back in my day, we had to work for a unforgiving blood god (His name was Armok, but we called him "The Player", and not for his notorious pimping of the cats) who usually sacrificed us for a HOLE. But we were ecstatic back then...

Well, when I call it a punch card, it was more of broken-off sliver of the Antikythera mechanism, floating in a puddle of radioactive septic goo that had a tendency to mutate animals into obnoxious teenaged vigilante's.... but it was a punch card to us!

You were lucky to have your puddle of radioactive septic goo! There were a hundred and fifty of us living on a single hard disk platter in a broken-down IBM RAMAC that rendered about three frames during the entire Clinton administration. Every morning at six we'd get up, defragment the hard drive with our tongues, and head down to the mill where we'd have our arms and legs ripped off by elephants for a chance at seeing a single 'E'!

WHAT? A WHOLE DISK PLATTER? BLASPHEMY!
When I was your age, over 9000 of us lived in a single particle of matter! Every day we had to be on the lookout for flying electron particles, while the very neurons that we stood on kept giving way, killings hundreds of us every day!

Only hundreds?!

Son, in my day we didn't have 9,000 of us in one particle, no, not 9,000, not 10,000, not 1,000,000, not even 100,000,000. No, we had 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 of us in one particle!

Every day we would lose hundreds of thousands for each Picometre of movement anywhere on the earth! We stopped counting the deaths a mere second after we started!
YOU HAD PICOMETRES?
Son, let me tell you. In my day, we lived a hundred of us to each planck volume, and GLAD OF IT. Every day we had to fight back the black holes that threatened to form, and we were HAPPY they weren't CARP.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Drifton

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is still an optional part of society
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 28, 2010, 07:18:20 am »

You kidding me?  I've put myself through 1 - 2 fps for regular DF games, hours spent watching my dwarfs going to the stockpile and then drinking for hours. 

1 to 2 FPS? Luxury! Why, we used to have to share a single frame every minute, all twenty-six of us, with no backlight, and 'alf the screen was missing, and we were all huddled in one corner for fear of falling...

A single frame? You were lucky to have a frame! We had to live in the hole of a punch card dropped under the central housing of a UNIVAC II in a decommissioned nuclear silo, and every-morning we'd have to get up at 4;00 AM and die of radiation that was leaking from a nearby cracked warhead. But we were happy then....

*sticks nose in air*
A whole punch card? YOU WERE LUCKY TO HAVE A PUNCH CARD! Back in my day, we had to work for a unforgiving blood god (His name was Armok, but we called him "The Player", and not for his notorious pimping of the cats) who usually sacrificed us for a HOLE. But we were ecstatic back then...

Well, when I call it a punch card, it was more of broken-off sliver of the Antikythera mechanism, floating in a puddle of radioactive septic goo that had a tendency to mutate animals into obnoxious teenaged vigilante's.... but it was a punch card to us!

You were lucky to have your puddle of radioactive septic goo! There were a hundred and fifty of us living on a single hard disk platter in a broken-down IBM RAMAC that rendered about three frames during the entire Clinton administration. Every morning at six we'd get up, defragment the hard drive with our tongues, and head down to the mill where we'd have our arms and legs ripped off by elephants for a chance at seeing a single 'E'!

When I was your age, over 9000 of us lived in a single particle of matter! Every day we had to be on the lookout for flying electron particles, while the very neurons that we stood on kept giving way, killings hundreds of us every day!

Only hundreds?!

Son, in my day we didn't have 9,000 of us in one particle, no, not 9,000, not 10,000, not 1,000,000, not even 100,000,000. No, we had 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 of us in one particle!

Every day we would lose hundreds of thousands for each Picometre of movement anywhere on the earth! We stopped counting the deaths a mere second after we started!
YOU HAD PICOMETRES?
Son, let me tell you. In my day, we lived a hundred of us to each planck volume, and GLAD OF IT. Every day we had to fight back the black holes that threatened to form, and we were HAPPY they weren't CARP.

Blah, Lucky worms, all of you. i only had access to the 5 spirits Earth, wind, Fire, water and lighting. i had none of this quantum Eistine mumble jumbo mechanics. we worshiped the Toads and where happy with our lot in life

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 28, 2010, 07:21:19 am »

Curse my god damn computer, lagging attempting to show the pure badassery of all those quotes put together.

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 28, 2010, 08:00:22 am »

If you dig a descending staircase/fortress area through a cavern without revealing the cavern (you didn't break into the cave), your weavers will walk down to the z-level where there is spider silk, go as far as they can towards it, then collect the silk. This bug keeps your weavers safe.

The spiders can walk through walls and often weave their webs inside your staircase. Is that what you're seeing?

Huw_Dawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 28, 2010, 08:07:30 am »

Hmm, I'm using the Linux version that Baughn compiled and Mayday's custom tileset isn't working. It keeps displaying the example dwarf graphics even if everything around it is using mayday.png AND the example graphics have been totally deleted.
Urist takes over shop
Materials he has not
Pants now adorn halls

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:11 am »

Hmm, I'm using the Linux version that Baughn compiled and Mayday's custom tileset isn't working. It keeps displaying the example dwarf graphics even if everything around it is using mayday.png AND the example graphics have been totally deleted.

you forget to change it in the init?

Huw_Dawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 28, 2010, 08:27:55 am »

Just checked in the original raw/graphics init and the format's been changed. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for the guy who makes Maygreen to get a new version out. :|
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 08:35:40 am by Huw_Dawson »
Urist takes over shop
Materials he has not
Pants now adorn halls

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #682 on: May 28, 2010, 10:23:12 am »

NO MORE ACIDIC RAIN?! AWESOME :D
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 28, 2010, 02:23:32 pm »

Actually, that's perfectly fine. std::reverse doesn't look for zeroes, so whether the terminator is added before or after the call doesn't matter.

Point, but another micro-optimization on unused code; not really worth thinking about whether it'd still be correct.
Yep.  I gave up searching for a reference to it and just dug through the stl headers until I found it.  Guess I should have checked the forum before I spent time on it.  Sorry to have wasted yours.

Constant micro optimisations keep things from getting slow.  They also lead to a habit of writing more efficient code.  It isn't so much about whether that particular function is used often, or whether the change in speed is significant; it is about forming the habit of writing things that will run fast the first time.

Think of it as an editorial change, like correcting a mispelled word.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 28, 2010, 02:25:54 pm »

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." -Donald Knuth
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 28, 2010, 04:30:01 pm »

Constant micro optimisations keep things from getting slow.  They also lead to a habit of writing more efficient code.  It isn't so much about whether that particular function is used often, or whether the change in speed is significant; it is about forming the habit of writing things that will run fast the first time.

Think of it as an editorial change, like correcting a mispelled word.
I agree to some extent. If there are two ways to write something, and one is faster while not being noticably more complex, I'll pick the faster way.

However, that's when writing new code. When editing old, working code for performance - I'll avoid touching it if I don't have a good reason to think it'll help, for fear of introducing bugs.

In this case, profiling shows that itoa isn't called. At all. Ever. :P

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 28, 2010, 04:31:04 pm »

Never mind, just pointing out that equipment selection always crashes the game for me :/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:35:24 pm by Leperous »

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 28, 2010, 05:49:41 pm »

In this case, profiling shows that itoa isn't called. At all. Ever. :P
That is when it is time to put some comments around it that says it is not used and move it to the bottom of the file.  Then no one has to skim past it it to check for optimisations or obscure bugs.

Of course someone will reply with some blather as an excuse why not to do that.  All I have to say is think of how much time you spend scrolling up and down when you are refreshing your memory on how some code you wrote 5 years ago works.  Then do it again 5 years later.  At that point you will understand why I say put it at the bottom of the file with a distinct comment that let's you know not to bother looking at the rest of the file.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 28, 2010, 06:00:09 pm »

Well, I'm sure there's some call to it.. somewhere...

Whatever. This isn't my code, and I'm not about to start making arbitrary changes for no good reason to code I don't own. Moving it, or just plain deleting it, would make sense if it were my own, but so far I haven't touched win32_compat.cpp at all.

Hmm.. it was originally written by BHelyer, wasn't it? Why don't you take it up with him instead?

..why would you even be reading code to look for optimizations? Run a profiler, and it'll tell you exactly where optimizing will do you any good. Callgrind will do nicely.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:02:55 pm by Baughn »

Corbald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 28, 2010, 07:42:55 pm »

*sticks nose in air*

Only hundreds?!

YOU HAD PICOMETRES?

Blah, Lucky worms, all of you. i only had access to the 5 spirits Earth, wind, Fire, water and lighting. i had none of this quantum Eistine mumble jumbo mechanics. we worshiped the Toads and where happy with our lot in life

BAH! None of you have the right to complain! I just had to DO THE DISHES!!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 55