Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 211307 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:03:19 pm »

Since so much was rewritten getting the screens to work, I'm not comfortable just replacing the main download links here without some sort of testing.  Here are the links:

Windows (small - no music, legacy - just the screen rewrite but not in SDL / no perks)
Linux
Mac

You can post issues on the bug tracker and let me know about glaring ones in here, but no 0.31.03 issues in this thread please!  I need to get the merge working, then I'll be back to military/training/combat/etc./etc./etc. bugs.

Some minor known issues to start:

(*) The detailed (non-tile) map export from legends mode is out for Linux and Mac until I get it working
(*) Unclear sound situation for Linux (I don't get any)
(*) Junk flashes on screen during last frame of opening movie
(*) Offloading units slow?
(*) There was a world gen compression error crash that went away and hasn't returned, but I'm not completely sure I got it fixed.
(*) Some of the "Ending game..." or "Saving..." style indicators don't reliably show up

--

Here are the 0.31.04 release notes:

The main thing here is the new OpenGL code by Svein Ove Aas (Baughn).  Especially if you weren't running at maximum framerates even on the title screen, you should notice a great improvement.  There are some modes worth messing around with in data/init/init.txt -- try "2D" if the game does not work as well as it used to (or stick with the legacy version if truly necessary).

You can get at macros with:
   Ctrl+r = record
   Ctrl+p = play
   Ctrl+s = save
   Ctrl+l = load
There is a directory data/init/macros for them.

You can use PNGs for (translucent) tilesets, you can resize the window using the border, you can zoom using the mouse wheel (reset with F10, you can rebind this to keys if you like) and multiple keys can be bound to one command.

A lot of changes were necessary to get this running, so there are likely to be a variety of bugs.  The legacy version has also been reorganized to make releases easier, so there could be new bugs even there.

Aside from that, we have some general fixes:

Crash fixes
   (*) stopped site finder from eating up a ton of memory (crashing the game on large maps)

Major bug fixes
   (*) changed day/night temperature calculations (fixes fish availability and melting in the rain)
   (*) stopped suture and dressing jobs from being repeated over and over on healed wounds

Minor changes
   (*) made all vermin and smallish outdoor corpse items disappear over time (can be hit after a month for vermin, season for corpse chunks)
   (*) changed ranges for adv mode temperature text
   (*) made temperature of squares adjacent to lava slightly lower
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:54:30 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 06:05:56 pm »

YAH

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 06:07:58 pm »

Woohoo!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 06:12:33 pm »

Yay!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:13:10 pm »

May the fireflies rot in peace from now on.
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:14:51 pm »

I'll use this space to post any noticable improvements I see.

Massive FPS increase on Win 7. Loaded a save that was crawling and is now faster than I prefer, actually!

Verified medical proceedures are no longer bugged; a dwarf who's small knife puncture wound had scarred over was released from the hospital following a few weeks convalesence.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:06:54 pm by Nikov »
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:17:17 pm »

It's the merge version?

YES IT'S OPENGL! YAAAAAY~!!!

*Haspen dies of heart attack*
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 06:19:08 pm »

Oh wow. I forgot how much of a boost the proper OpenGL version gives me. 350 FPS on embark, woo.

Duke Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 06:30:42 pm »

Oh wow. I forgot how much of a boost the proper OpenGL version gives me. 350 FPS on embark, woo.

This is an enormous second of carved time. It is studded with multicolored frames and menaces with spikes of green rendering rate. All workmanship is of the highest quality.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 06:31:29 pm »

Thank you Toady One!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:32:55 pm »

Holy shit awesome.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 06:36:07 pm »

Great one Toady One!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 06:36:18 pm »

The first thing I noticed was the movement of the FPS bar, it went from a out of the way place (top left) to a easily seen place (next to title). I don't really like it because I rarely look at the FPS, but I don't want to exit and save to turn on the FPS, maybe add an init option?

I also noticed it had a second number in parentheses. What do they mean?

I noticed a bug, site finder search never searches unless you press a key, and you have to keep pressing to get it searching.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:42:31 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 06:40:08 pm »

How come the init is now split into two sections, init and d_init?

Oh yea, the esc key doesn't work for the embark screen (both site selection and embark prep), is this intentional or not? Its a personal pet peeve of mine here. It worked in 40D, but doesn't now.

Edit: I know you said don't post .03 bugs, but its in here as well, so.... yea.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:43:50 pm by smjjames »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:43:27 pm »

FUCKING MAC VERSION YEEEEAH
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55