Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 211280 times)

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 06:45:59 pm »

On the Mac version:

Resizing the window during world gen makes it go completely black and stay like that.

The intro movie is too fast. no fps cap?

lumikant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://twilightmu.org
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 06:46:28 pm »

I have sound in linux. Thanks for the new version!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 06:47:00 pm »

Nice! :D thank you Toady.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 06:47:39 pm »

First of all, thank you Toady. This is a huge accomplishment and you must be pretty exhausted. You deserve a rest.
Also, thank you Baughn. You're amazing!

And now to questions:

I'm getting this even in 2D mode, but as soon as I turn off graphics, it's allright. Is something wrong with my graphics pack?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Kalrirr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 06:49:00 pm »

Great work Toady!! Thanks alot!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:56:53 pm by Kalrirr »
Death before dishonour

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 06:49:30 pm »

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:04:18 pm by zxcvmnb »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 06:50:01 pm »

Oh yea, the esc key doesn't work for the embark screen (both site selection and embark prep), is this intentional or not? Its a personal pet peeve of mine here. It worked in 40D, but doesn't now.

Anybody else getting this? Its something I'd really like to get fixed as its very annoying for me.

Anyways, thanks for the new version Toady! :)

eidahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 06:50:14 pm »

YAR!

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 06:52:52 pm »

I also noticed it had a second number in parentheses. What do they mean?
I believe that the first number is the simulation speed i.e. game framerate, the second (in parentheses) is the screen update speed i.e. graphics framerate.

The fact that I'm seeing 100 (18) fps with my graphics framerate capped at 50 must mean that the multithreading code has also gone in? Yay!
Previously, if graphics framerate couldn't keep up with simulation framerate it would cap the simulation too!

Toady, a suggestion: I think you can safely enable the "Large Address Aware" option in the linker options for the build, I tried enabling it on 0.31.03 (using editbin.exe) and it seems to work fine there. It'll allow people on 64 bit Windows to have the game allocate up to 4 GB of memory instead of limiting it to 2 GB, while people on 32 bit Windows will be unaffected. The only requirement is that no code makes assumptions about the most significant bit of pointer values.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:54:28 pm by jfs »

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 06:53:56 pm »

Great work! i got over 650 fps on the title screen! (this being on a crappy integrated graphics card)  :o

Now those of us who like our tile sets just have to wait for good old mayday and the others to update theirs to .png and what have you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:55:47 pm by mattyb3 »
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 06:57:50 pm »

The first thing I noticed was the movement of the FPS bar, it went from a out of the way place (top left) to a easily seen place (next to title). I don't really like it because I rarely look at the FPS, but I don't want to exit and save to turn on the FPS, maybe add an init option?

Sure, that can be arranged.

I also noticed it had a second number in parentheses. What do they mean?

I believe the first one is the number of game logic steps taken per second, and the second one is the number of renders that occur.

I noticed a bug, site finder search never searches unless you press a key, and you have to keep pressing to get it searching.

This is exactly the kind of thing that will come up due to the screen rewrites, and it could happen for any action on any screen.  Please keep them coming in!

How come the init is now split into two sections, init and d_init?

d_init is the stuff that relates to dwarves and adventure mode that doesn't depend on the SDL stuff.  The init file is different depending on which download you get (legacy or not).  It was easier to handle it that way.

Oh yea, the esc key doesn't work for the embark screen (both site selection and embark prep), is this intentional or not? Its a personal pet peeve of mine here. It worked in 40D, but doesn't now.

Edit: I know you said don't post .03 bugs, but its in here as well, so.... yea.

It's not intentional.  Just another bug.  I'd like to focus on the merge stuff here though to avoid thread derailment.

On the Mac version:

Resizing the window during world gen makes it go completely black and stay like that.

The intro movie is too fast. no fps cap?

Huh, okay, strange.  I imagine it's supposed to be triggering a forced redraw at that point.  I'll have to take a look at it.

My movie was going the correct speed on Mac, but it could be that my poor Mini is just doing what it can or something.

(texture catalog image)
I'm getting this even in 2D mode, but as soon as I turn off graphics, it's allright. Is something wrong with my graphics pack?

This is one of those things where I'm going to be of little use until Baughn is available.  Did these work in previous 40d# releases?  I don't know if there's an upper size limit (if you are using large tiles).  If it's not that, then I'm not sure why it can accommodate the default tileset but not your similarly sized one.

Toady, a suggestion: I think you can safely enable the "Large Address Aware" option in the linker options for the build, I tried enabling it on 0.31.03 (using editbin.exe) and it seems to work fine there. It'll allow people on 64 bit Windows to have the game allocate up to 4 GB of memory instead of limiting it to 2 GB, while people on 32 bit Windows will be unaffected. The only requirement is that no code makes assumptions about the most significant bit of pointer values.

I doubt I'm doing anything weird with bits and pointer values.  I can try it out assuming I can find that option in MSVC.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 06:58:33 pm »

Thank you.

Bug report incoming after i play with this for a bit :O

Note: I do not think the old tile set from mayday can work on this version.

Embarking: I embarked on a new map and have 6 dwarfs.. i thought we started with 7?

Init file: fullscreen is set to 0x0 atm so i doubt its possible to do fullscreen at the moment?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:11:24 pm by mnjiman »
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 07:01:45 pm »

I get the GL Error too every time I try turning on graphics.  Initially I thought it was just because it didn't like the mayday graphic file for some strange reason, so I restored the init to the default, and simply turned on the graphics, using the default "curses_square_16x16.png", but to no avail, I still get the error.

I thought maybe it was because the default ini has the windowedX and Y size set to 0...so I changed it to 1280x600, but no luck there, either.

Of course, the moment I turn off graphics, it works just peachy.

I'm running windows 7, and using a GeForce 8800GT, completely updated drivers.  All of the settings I tried using, graphics, etc, worked perfectly under 40d#, and the previous 0.31 versions worked fine too.

With graphics off though, on a fresh embark, I get about 400-425 FPS.
Mind you, I think this is great all the same, and eagerly await for this lil kink to get worked out too.  Thanks! :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:04:18 pm by Tayron »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2010, 07:02:43 pm »

Edit: I know you said don't post .03 bugs, but its in here as well, so.... yea.

It's not intentional.  Just another bug.  I'd like to focus on the merge stuff here though to avoid thread derailment.

I know I can get around it with force quitting it using task manager, but given my OCD with finding a good set of embark dwarves, its annoying as heck.

Anyways, yea I get what you're saying, lets focus on merge related stuff here.

mistinshadows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 07:06:53 pm »

For some reason, with this version, no matter how I set the init file for an 800x600 window?  The game will only visually fill half my window.  It's squished in the top half, with all black on the bottom half...

It does it for full screen too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 55