Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 212744 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #525 on: May 21, 2010, 01:19:11 am »

Another bug I just noticed:  When linking mechanisms to anything you aren't always shown the correct location for the currently indicated building.

Mantis is your friend for bug reporting  :)

If you don't know about it already, there's an organized bug tracking system for DF - for example the bug mentioned above is here:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1915

Just create a login - I just use mine from here, and voila!  Access to organized reporting of Dwarfy bugginess!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:16:22 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 21, 2010, 02:08:06 am »

Just create a login - I just use mine from here, and viola!  Access to organized reporting of Dwarfy bugginess!
i don't mean to sound pedantic or anything, but it's "voila".  ;D

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 21, 2010, 02:49:43 am »

Out of curiosity, how does one go about changing the interface in this version?  I tried to go back to the old "press space to leave this menu" by changing

[BIND:LEAVESCREEN:REPEAT_NOT]
[SYM:0:Escape]

to

[BIND:LEAVESCREEN:REPEAT_NOT]
[SYM:0:Space]

The game will enter the main screen, and I can move the selection up or down (between continue playing, create new world now, et ced) but hitting enter does nothing.  Luckily, hitting F11 still switches back from fullscreen, but I still was unable to hit quit.  Same problem occurs in the menu when I press escape (return to title screen, key bindings, et ced).

What's really weird is that the problem persists even when I change the file back, that is, when I manually re-type what was there before and then save the changes.  If I delete that copy of Interface.txt, however, and replace it with a fresh copy, game works fine again.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Span

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 21, 2010, 03:04:33 am »

Don't know if this is a bug, but searching for a desired location for embarking using the search function took a whole 18 minutes to complete. It was a lot faster before. I'm not sure what the size of the world is but it was searching x/81.

*edit* Forgot hardware info:
Running Windows XP, Core2Duo E8400
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:06:29 am by Span »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #529 on: May 21, 2010, 03:34:50 am »

[interface thing]

:D

I had the same problem.
Most likely, you are using notepad to open interface.txt?
Well, notepad saves in UTF-8, which causes this problems. Just go to "save as" and change coding to ANSI.
Another workaround exists, but I do not remember clearly right now, sorry. Something involving empty line somewhere.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Blast

• Bay Watcher
  • Deadliest Dwarf Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 21, 2010, 03:38:30 am »

The forum search should be working properly now.

@Span

Now that the search is working, please use it?

The site finder bug has been reported many times here and there is a "solution" while the next version doesn't come out, just keep pressing a key and it will keep searching untill it ends.

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2010, 06:57:40 am »

These doesn't seem to work the way I would expect in 2D or 3D modes.

Zoom with the mousewheel, or remap the zoom functions to keys and zoom with those keys.

Thanks, timbojones, but the problem I'm describing isn't related to zooming, which I don't use; it's a problem with the automatically determined grid size.  I have a 1360x768 display and I'm using a window size of 1360x720 with a 16x16 font; I'm expecting to get a grid size of 85x45.  However I usually get one of the following results.  1) I get the default 80x25 grid with 16x16 tiles, centered in the window (or upper-left justified); or, 2) I get the default 80x25 grid, with tiles stretched to 17x29 (approximately) to fill the window.

What I'm expecting is to see a grid size of 85x45 of 16x16 tiles filling the entire 1360x720 window without stretching.  If you refer to my prior post and look at the screenshots, that should help illustrate what I mean.  The final screenshot is what I'm looking for, and it does happen from time to time, but only rarely.  I have to start and exit the game probably on the order of 10 times before I get what I want.

I apologize for not explaining this better previously.

Waiting

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 21, 2010, 08:01:39 am »

Sorry if this bug has already been mentioned, but .04 crashes immediately on my computer when I am trying to create new squad. Just pressing m-c-enter on any map results in game termination with buffer overflow. I'm using linux by the way.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 21, 2010, 08:18:42 am »

Sorry if this bug has already been mentioned, but .04 crashes immediately on my computer when I am trying to create new squad. Just pressing m-c-enter on any map results in game termination with buffer overflow. I'm using linux by the way.

I believe that has been reported yes, but I haven't had this bug yet, military "works" for me. (vista)

Added a bug to the tracker (impressive thing btw that tracker) What happens to me is the game crashes every time I scroll down to the liquids in my stocks screen. (using vista, genesis mod and some modding of my own)

Anybody else had this problem? or could it be related to the mods?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #534 on: May 21, 2010, 08:49:20 am »

I believe that has been reported yes, but I haven't had this bug yet, military "works" for me. (vista)

Added a bug to the tracker (impressive thing btw that tracker) What happens to me is the game crashes every time I scroll down to the liquids in my stocks screen. (using vista, genesis mod and some modding of my own)

Anybody else had this problem? or could it be related to the mods?

I believe there is a bug already reported about an otherwise un-named liquid causing crashes in the stock screen.  I know there is one about a "liquid" being offered for sale by caravans.  I posted that one.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #535 on: May 21, 2010, 09:45:05 am »

Now that we have half a dozen graphics modes to choose from, and no clear way to figure out which is best short of trying each one and noting FPS, would it be possible to:

1) make changes on the fly in game
2) some sort of autoconf that tries all graphics modes in succession and chooses the best one (for a pre-defined and built-in test fortress)?

Such a test package could also be useful in auto-reporting what graphic modes are achieving good performance in the wild, rather than scattered test samples.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Woof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 21, 2010, 10:31:47 am »

Now that we have half a dozen graphics modes to choose from, and no clear way to figure out which is best short of trying each one and noting FPS, would it be possible to:

2) some sort of autoconf that tries all graphics modes in succession and chooses the best one (for a pre-defined and built-in test fortress)?

Such a test package could also be useful in auto-reporting what graphic modes are achieving good performance in the wild, rather than scattered test samples.

this.

then again, as the owner of a not-bad-nor-particularly-old-graphics card I'd be inclined to use a 3d mode, and since, from my random googleings, it seems half of them are for compatibility and whatnot and at least one is specifically aimed at performance that certainly narrows it down :)

but now that I think about it, at least basically describing the purpose of each mode in the init would certainly help.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:34:27 am by Woof »

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 21, 2010, 10:44:28 am »

this.

then again, as the owner of a not-bad-nor-particularly-old-graphics card I'd be inclined to use a 3d mode, and since, from my random googleings, it seems half of them are for compatibility and whatnot and at least one is specifically aimed at performance that certainly narrows it down :)

but now that I think about it, at least basically describing the purpose of each mode in the init would certainly help.

You got it pretty much right.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57780.msg1271258#msg1271258

alexandrite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 21, 2010, 11:52:48 am »

I didn't feel like reading through 30+ pages of posts, so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I do get sound on the Linux version.  I'm using ALSA (as opposed to OSS or Pulseaudio) if that helps.  I can post configs if they would help debugging.

Grocer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 21, 2010, 12:53:07 pm »

These doesn't seem to work the way I would expect in 2D or 3D modes.

Zoom with the mousewheel, or remap the zoom functions to keys and zoom with those keys.

Thanks, timbojones, but the problem I'm describing isn't related to zooming, which I don't use; it's a problem with the automatically determined grid size.

Did you turn off the mouse in the init?  Turning that back on appears to have cleared up similar problems for me where the game wasn't displaying the tileset correctly.
Legendary Dead Horse Beater
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55