Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 211281 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #600 on: May 26, 2010, 08:03:40 am »

Speaking of FPS caps:  does anyone else have their FPS counter located in the center-right of their screen?  Mine is no longer in the left hand portion and it blocks the dates in the status screen.

Same here, and it's mostly due the reason that Toady used either 40d18 or 40d19 in the merge. Can't remember which one introduced the changes to FPS calculator like change of place and how it reports the FPS.

Yeah, it's annoying, though not bug actually. And you can always just disable the counter from init, and the problem solved.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 26, 2010, 08:11:21 am »

Yes but then you don't know how many FPS you're getting.  Not much of a solution when it detracts. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 26, 2010, 09:12:33 am »

I guess I understand why it's moved there.  With high framerates I imagine it's difficult to tell when the game is paused.  The FPS counter obscures most of the pause indicator even at a cap of 50 fps.  Now with the new indicator of the GFramerate I bet it obscures it completely over there.

Problem is here, while it's usually out of the way, in some screens it obscures things like names.

Perhaps moving the pause indicator to where the FPS indicator currently is and moving the FPS indicator back to top left would work better?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 26, 2010, 10:03:18 am »

I'm working on code that just moves it to wherever there's free space at the moment. That should do.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 26, 2010, 10:05:00 am »

If you set the width resolution wide enough you can see the back part of the month.  Turning off the display of the graphical frame rate also helps.  But afaik you can't actually move the fps counter.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 26, 2010, 11:27:43 am »

Know what I'd really enjoy in the game? A good old "Refresh graphics" button. Right now, if you have partial print on and minimize the game, it all goes black. You can go into the ESC menu and back out to refresh the main area, but the sides of the screen never revert to the bricks that usually surround the gameplay area. Only way to do that would be to refresh the graphics.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 26, 2010, 11:29:19 am »

Know what I'd really enjoy in the game? A good old "Refresh graphics" button. Right now, if you have partial print on and minimize the game, it all goes black. You can go into the ESC menu and back out to refresh the main area, but the sides of the screen never revert to the bricks that usually surround the gameplay area. Only way to do that would be to refresh the graphics.

A "refresh graphics" button would be a clumsy workaround at best.  What should be changed are the underlying issues, like this one.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 26, 2010, 02:14:22 pm »

I just tried to go back to 40d, and all the workout-gym, doctorless ways,  and found I couldn't.  The changes in the interface between the two (space vs. esc. to exit designations and such, f9 in embark instead of escape, etc)  killed me.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 26, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »

I forgot. Should probably mention.

31.04 has all partial-printing forcibly disabled as a crude workaround for another problem. So yes, it will often be slower. ^^;

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 26, 2010, 03:20:08 pm »

31.04 has all partial-printing forcibly disabled as a crude workaround for another problem. So yes, it will often be slower. ^^;

Hey Baughn, is there a plan to fix the [GRAPHICS:YES] bug in a 'silent' patch of 31.04, or do we just have to wait for 31.05?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 26, 2010, 03:48:22 pm »

Uhh huh...

So I'm on the title screen, and I'm getting 260,000 fps lol. Time to see what it's like in game.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 26, 2010, 03:53:49 pm »

Wait for 31.05 unless you're on linux, in which case you'll probably get a replacement libgraphics.so.

Update: Fixed the slow offloading problem, and probably other, similar ones.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:09 pm »

Am I the only one who seems to have worse frame rates with this version? 

Additionally, it takes forever and half a day to create a new world, specifically in the 'offloading units' department.

I have it as well, and i have a Dual 2.4 Ghz, 3 gig ram too.

it is confusing.

This is easy to fix.

Remove the fps cap when generating worlds, then put it back on when you go to embark.  For some reason the fps cap is applied to back end calculations like offloading units in .04

I've reported this as a bug although he probably figured out why it was slowing down anyway.

I was referring mostly to game play FPS, ty though <3
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 26, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »

God damnit baughn, you got me all worried. Thought I wouldnt be able to play DF again, and then I figure out it's because you disabled it. Huzzah!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 26, 2010, 06:54:15 pm »

Bug fixed: Grid sizes getting stuck on 80x25 if you let the intro movies play.

Workaround until 31.05: Turn off intro movies.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 55