Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 211285 times)

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #645 on: May 27, 2010, 01:07:37 pm »

Huzzah, graphics work*, thank you!

Now the only gripe I have is that I can't seem to play at the native graphics resolution (16x16 pixels), so all the art is blurred. Have played with GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX/Y and zooming but no luck.**

*Apart from the libjpeg8 thingy. http://packages.debian.org/sid/libjpeg8

**Also fixed but I had to either fullscreen, or extend the window off the edge of my laptop screen (alt+MMB+drag), probably because the window borders were taking up a couple of pixels, but some of my systems don't allow windows wider than the desktop. Possible minor bug?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:54:32 pm by Leperous »

akd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 27, 2010, 01:11:25 pm »

Removing libstdc++ from libs/ gives

./dwarfort.exe: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by /home/myname/games/df2010_04/libs/libgraphics.so)

According to package manager...
glibc: 2.10.1
libstdc++: 4.4.1
But if the library in libs/ is providing the correct version, then perhaps something is not linked correctly (usually what undefined symbol means if I'm not mistaken?) I can easily install some older versions of libstdc++ from my package manager, but seemingly none of "3.4." I can do 3.3, or various other 4.x.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 27, 2010, 02:01:22 pm »

gcc's versioning is utterly insane; what it actually wants is gcc-libs 4.5.0 or newer.  ::)

It's an unfortunate consequence of my using Arch and thus compiling libgraphics on a machine with very new software. If you wait for the next official release, that'll work; otherwise you can try to track down 4.5, but don't break your system over it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 27, 2010, 02:17:05 pm »

All of this could also be mostly solved if Dwarf Fortress was released in source form.  (Nah, it's not an ultimatum of a solution, it has its issues too, but not those of this sort.  :-) )
Making life hard for others since 1977.

akd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 27, 2010, 02:21:51 pm »

S'pose I can wait a little longer.

But I'm still a little confused about the original error... forgive me, but it really does seem like some sort of linker problem/issue of wrong file provided. I am talking out of my ass a little, of course, not knowing the setup of anything for this. Anyway, you've worked enough though, so don't go out of your way on my behalf.

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 27, 2010, 02:40:59 pm »

Now on my 64-bit machine I needed a 32-bit version of libncursesw5, took a while to figure this one out:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=lib32ncursesw5

Also had to figure out a 32-bit version of libjpeg8 - simply copied the libjpeg.so.8 file inside the following into /usr/lib32 and ran sudo ldconfig:

ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/opensuse/factory/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/libjpeg8-32bit-8.0.1-1.5.x86_64.rpm
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:49:14 pm by Leperous »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:18 pm »

Solved: Esc quitting the keybinding screens instead of going up a level.

Workaround for 31.04: Bind leavescreen to space instead of esc, like it used to be.

Extra bonus: The keybinding-writer now inserts an empty line at the start of the file.

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:26 pm »

I have the same issue with the small version.  Couldn't even find the temp/weather settings in the init file.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 27, 2010, 03:52:48 pm »

Keyboard repeat bug, instantly repeats when a modifier key is released.  You can get the instant repeat by building
a bridge, road, windmill, waterwheel, etc.  At the material selection press and hold Shift, then press Enter.  Immediately
release the Shift then the Enter.

Quick poll: Who would like key repeats to accelerate a bit once you've held the key down for a second or two?

I would, of course, make it configurable.
I think a better configuration mark would be number of repeats.  After say 5 to 10 it seems likely that the
user wants a lot more.  Making it suddenly jump faster would be bad though, it has to accelerate in.  Last time I
surveyed your KB code it looked like you seperated presses of a key; meaning Left, Left, (hold for 3 repeats)Left
is already different from (hold for 5)Left.  It shouldn't be hard to add a counter then use that for calculating how
much to accelerate.  For the user that mentioned it, I believe it was the Amiga. There have also been some
word processing programs that used a method similar to what I outlined above.

Well, the key I'm interested in repeating is mainly the macro playback key. ;)
Make programmable macros.  People seemed to like them.  The quick record and playback is nice, but sometimes
you just need more magma.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Woof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 27, 2010, 03:59:17 pm »

Couldn't even find the temp/weather settings in the init file.

checked the new d_init ?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 27, 2010, 04:03:55 pm »

Narmio: I can't tell when the game is paused, see. That's why.
Bah!

You mentioned moving the FPS counter around based on what is not being used.  That means you are reading
through the graphics buffer for where to put it.  Why not just read the through the first 10 characters for
"*PAUSED*", then display only the GFPS behind it.  See you know when the game is paused as a user, and
you can put that into code.  You don't need the nice boolean flag.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 27, 2010, 04:07:39 pm »

I'd rather just ask Toady for the flag. :P

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 27, 2010, 04:08:51 pm »

Solved: Esc quitting the keybinding screens instead of going up a level.

Workaround for 31.04: Bind leavescreen to space instead of esc, like it used to be.

Extra bonus: The keybinding-writer now inserts an empty line at the start of the file.

Hey, if you now bind the space for "leave screen", isn't it used everywhere? For example, if you're making job orders and searching for a item, and want to type "ROCK DOOR", boom, as soon as you hit space you leave the screen (it used to be something like F9?)

For the linux users: http://brage.info/~svein/df-head.tar.bz2 should have the most grievous bugs fixed.

Which is to say: A large performance improvement and graphics mode can both be yours, for the low, low price of $0.00

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a go.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:14:39 pm by voneiden »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 27, 2010, 04:14:28 pm »

Possibly, though if that happens it's a bug. You might have to choose your bug, though.

Keeping the default esc binding will work fine in 31.05, however.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 27, 2010, 04:28:41 pm »

Hey, if you now bind the space for "leave screen", isn't it used everywhere? For example, if you're making job orders and searching for a item, and want to type "ROCK DOOR", boom, as soon as you hit space you leave the screen (it used to be something like F9?)

Yes.  This bug, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 55