Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Nature of Olm, and an odd cave formed...  (Read 1596 times)

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Nature of Olm, and an odd cave formed...
« on: November 09, 2007, 02:34:00 am »

This is a fairly decent spot I've chosen, however I hadn't counted on this little odd site bit;
28k png below

In this circular... hole cut into the mountain (I honestly thought it was a meteor strike or something but it's one level tall, no roof damage) There are two tiny pools, with two giant Olm, and about 6 Olmmen. Sending two farmers wielding a steel spear and axe, I took them out with no injuries (aside of the Muskox one chewed a couple chunks out of), and then realized where the webs came from; several teeny tiny olm, wandering about, apprently shat the webbing out at odd intervals( you can see one just below the blue rock in the circle, and yes, that's not a spider). Now Giant Web Shoes are worth two to an anvil, so I'd like to keep this area untouched (plus it's neat to look at) save to harvest webs, but currently, have anyone seen olm(the little ones) grow into an olmman, or even into a giant olm? Is this a lifecycle thing ten years down the road, or ever?

Also, anyone know why I got the neat circle carved out of the cave? I'm just curious. And anyone got some neat caves formed?

Oh and the area itself is kinda neat. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8064/necrolancesfullrf6.png
for a full slice.

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: MickEfinn ]

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
Re: The Nature of Olm, and an odd cave formed...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:11:00 am »

quote:
This is a fairly decent spot I've chosen, however I hadn't counted on this little odd site bit;
(image)

In this circular... hole cut into the mountain (I honestly thought it was a meteor strike or something but it's one level tall, no roof damage) There are two tiny pools, with two giant Olm, and about 6 Olmmen. Sending two farmers wielding a steel spear and axe, I took them out with no injuries (aside of the Muskox one chewed a couple chunks out of), and then realized where the webs came from; several teeny tiny olm, wandering about, apprently shat the webbing out at odd intervals( you can see one just below the blue rock in the circle, and yes, that's not a spider). Now Giant Web Shoes are worth two to an anvil, so I'd like to keep this area untouched (plus it's neat to look at) save to harvest webs, but currently, have anyone seen olm(the little ones) grow into an olmman, or even into a giant olm? Is this a lifecycle thing ten years down the road, or ever?

Also, anyone know why I got the neat circle carved out of the cave? I'm just curious. And anyone got some neat caves formed?

What you've got there is a magma pipe, if I'm not mistaken.  It's got a layer of obsidian on top.

Adon * Amil * Orethan

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:15:00 am »

I thought so too, but that's Diorite and Dolomite actually. I'll dig under it to check, but if it is, then this is the PERFECT fortress... Rock, wood, a brook down the bottom, and magma? ho ha, I ain't a never leavin if that's the case!.

Edit: Nope. unless it's waaay down. I haven't dug that deep yet.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 03:17:00 am »

I've seen a few shots of places like this.  I think it wants to be a nice round cave pool, but is failing in some drastic way.  That's what the wildlife indicates, anyway.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:24:00 am »

Word of how awesome this place is has spread, and on the first day of Midsummer, before my FIRST dwarven caravan, I got migrants! An extra 7 migrants will help immensely.

Which is good, as my 'Proficient' mason is the laziest piece o pyrite I've ever had. He's made 7 tables and chairs, in 5 months!

And my carpenter won't cook even if that's the only job she has. which wastes her Proficient Cook status immensely.

My Miner makes up for them though, on the 15th of mid-summer He hit Legendary.
Note to Self:
"He occasionally overindulges.
He dislikes intellectual discussions. (Yahtzee!)
He is confident.
He is disorganized (so true, he has scattered digging projects half finished all over).
He often does the first thing that comes to mind. (Bingo!)
is the combo of Digging awesome.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 03:47:00 am »

It's hella awesome Toady, and I'm pretty sure I'll never touch it aside of tramping for the silk, which the olm is squirting faster than two weavers can keep up.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MickEfinn:
<STRONG>This is a fairly decent spot I've chosen, however I hadn't counted on this little odd site bit

Oh and the area itself is kinda neat. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8064/necrolancesfullrf6.png
for a full slice.

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: MickEfinn ]</STRONG>

Any chance you'll be posting the seed and general location of this wondrous fortress?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

It could be one of those deep round chasms? Webs seem to form over chasms, even if they are several levels below.

As for olms making web, are you sure it isn't cave spiders? Olms don't make web, unless you edited the raws  :D

If it is showing up as giant web, it has to be a giant spider somewhere. I'm not sure if they have to touch the tile to make web or not.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

Paul: I checked every single dot in that circle several times, there's only olm. also the cat has killed several, and with gather outside refuse on, I've confirmed  that only olm corpses show up. As for a gigantic spider somewhere, I aven't seen em' cap'n. No where UP, and so far no where three floors down, so far no chasm either.

The seed is in this section, under "Volcanic Tours", as there are at least 14 volcanoes on the map, two so close together that a 3x3 can have both, and one surrounded by glacier.
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001296

as for where on the map... damn, I'll copy this folder, abandon, and see if reclaim can give me some landmarks. It's a 4x4, mountains on both sides a river going through, and jungle on the diagonals. I'll do a quick looksee.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

Here's hoping this helps you out.
Another 28 k image http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2750/reclaimpl2.png

Edit: ugh, that has no way to find it on the general world map. Stupid non-blinking cursor.

Ohkay now... The link to Volcanic Tours above, has the world map. so open that.

First go East. All the way east. There is an ocean that is touching the eastern edge of the map. Call this Ocean Zero.
From Zero, you'll note that it has five rivers, 4 light blue, one deep blue. you want the NORTHEN-MOST river. It's the tiniest one with a dot on the end. Set your mouse on that dot and consult the above image I supplied. you oughta be able to zero in that way