Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 395 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 878

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 967688 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.05v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Improved V and Sand)
« Reply #1725 on: March 09, 2012, 09:52:08 am »

Ok, I've found why you're getting so much vanishing text.
When the TTF engine writes text, it reserves and draws over an area of the screen equal to the size of the text if it was drawn without TTF.
If that area overlaps text on the right, the text on the right vanishes.
Something doesn't make sense to me about this..
I would understand it blocking out stuff at the end of a line because of this..
but I don't understand how this makes sense when it blocks out the middle of a word like:
The goblin lasher at  cks th militia commander
Are you telling me the at is something taking up the space of the following ta, or the "th" is somehow taking up the space of the e? Why isn't any part of the commander word missing or goblin?
Why does "The goblin lasher" appear fine on that line, but on another line appear as:
"the goblin las  r" shouldn't those be drawn consistently the same?
I think its because the text isn't being constructed as one single string, but as multiple strings fit together onto the screen.  The differences between how those strings show up, each of which allocating space - some of which overlap, is why sometimes entire words are "eaten" and other times only a few characters.  I think if we compare TTF to its tile-based equivalent, we'll start to see where the text is broken up.  At a guess, I would say names, attacks, and results are three different portions of the attack (well, four, attacker and victim being two names).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The vanishing text in the middle of words are single tiles being overwritten.
I can't reproduce that bug, so I can't find what triggers it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:38:17 am by Phoebus »

thereadlines

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: March 09, 2012, 03:10:14 pm »

> I can't reproduce that bug, so I can't find what triggers it.

When I move through the "tabs" (Citizens, Pets/Livestock, etc.) I see the blackouts at the same locations on each page, if that helps. Same thing for the stocks pages.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:26 pm »

I'm getting the weird text bug, too. It seems like a certain distance after every string of text, there's a black square or two. Worse if the text is currently selected. Like, in the 'k' menu over items, for the currently selected item in the list you can't see the purple "D" if it's dumped. It isn't text running over other text (I never see letters on top of each other) but just random black areas over things. It's not so problematic except in the military screen.
Sorry if someone's already mentioned this, I didn't read the whole thread

radialmonster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: March 09, 2012, 07:34:36 pm »

i also have the missing text, but I don't remember what settings i created my world.
how about this.  on 34.05v1
on my initial screen, the menu.  I have continue playing, create new world etc
on "continue playing" ue was missing
if i highlight continue playing by scrolling up or down from another item ue shows up for just a milisecond then it disappears again
i had my windows maximized, not full screen, just maximixed
i unmaximized it to a smaller window so that i could type this, and the ue is back all the time now and stays back no matter the menu item

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 09, 2012, 08:16:37 pm »

Would Smooth/Clear/Natural Text Settings in the Tileset Assembler have anything to do with this?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 10, 2012, 01:36:17 am »

> I can't reproduce that bug, so I can't find what triggers it.

When I move through the "tabs" (Citizens, Pets/Livestock, etc.) I see the blackouts at the same locations on each page, if that helps. Same thing for the stocks pages.
That would mean the black tiles aren't usually related to the content that's on that specific page.

i also have the missing text, but I don't remember what settings i created my world.
how about this.  on 34.05v1
on my initial screen, the menu.  I have continue playing, create new world etc
on "continue playing" ue was missing
if i highlight continue playing by scrolling up or down from another item ue shows up for just a milisecond then it disappears again
i had my windows maximized, not full screen, just maximixed
i unmaximized it to a smaller window so that i could type this, and the ue is back all the time now and stays back no matter the menu item
Did you get that before or after generating the world?
Because if you got the black tiles before generating the world it would mean the raws could not be the cause of the black tiles.
Raws are only loaded when you gen a world or load/start a game; it's even possible to start the game without having a raw folder at all.

Anyone ever got black tiles on the main menu right after starting DF?

I'm getting the weird text bug, too. It seems like a certain distance after every string of text, there's a black square or two. Worse if the text is currently selected. Like, in the 'k' menu over items, for the currently selected item in the list you can't see the purple "D" if it's dumped. It isn't text running over other text (I never see letters on top of each other) but just random black areas over things. It's not so problematic except in the military screen.
Sorry if someone's already mentioned this, I didn't read the whole thread
We've already figured that one, the TTF engine clears an area that's much larger than the TTF displayed; the size of the area cleared is equal to the size of text if written using tiles.

Would Smooth/Clear/Natural Text Settings in the Tileset Assembler have anything to do with this?
That would be extremely unlikely. The Tileset Assembler only changes the pixels of the tileset.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 10, 2012, 02:46:54 am »

That would mean the black tiles aren't usually related to the content that's on that specific page.

I can confirm that. Same spots missing all through the columns (for example health reports) unrelated to the content.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 10, 2012, 01:06:39 pm »

I can confirm that. Same spots missing all through the columns (for example health reports) unrelated to the content.
Does resizing the display (rolling the mouse wheel) change where the affected columns are at, or do they stay at the same spot?  while it still doesn't explain why it behaves the way it does, it could help narrow down the functions that cause it.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: March 10, 2012, 03:09:53 pm »

So I'm just kind of throwing out ideas here since the actual issue is pretty far above my head, but here's some more comparison shots.

Notice where the cursor (the planet looking thing) ends in both screenshots? It's the same. It looks to me like something is failing to read and allot the proper amount of characters to the installed TTF. It seems to only be looking at what the required amount of space is for the non-TTF setting. I guess you guys already mostly knew that though.

Also, and this may be a function of my TTF font, but others have reported it on theirs too. It's failing to display the tile associated with gender symbols (and masterwork I guess?) In my font it defaults to a character that looks like [] (joined). When I checked the legend for this (Dominican) font, that symbol is used repeatedly for quite a few characters like # and other things. I'll post a screen shot later when I've got a world genned and some dwarves up. So, no idea what's going on there. Is that just the nature of TT?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:28:20 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: March 10, 2012, 03:38:53 pm »

it could help narrow down the functions that cause it.

What could help narrow down problems like that is parts of the UI source code being released. I can totally understand that Toady wants to keep handle this game as his masterfully obscured grand opera simulation thingy. But annoying bugs like this one which donīt touch gameplay at all yet make DF a hassle to play... ah whatever, some guys will rush out and tell me "not this again". Yeah, in that case I canīt really help. I *could* code AI, I *could* help with bugs (years of experience diving into some other guy`s code WITHOUT that guy being around). Well, scratch it. It "wonīt happen ever until Toady dies" yes I know that. But being a coder myself it really freaks me out. Period.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: March 10, 2012, 04:05:00 pm »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 10, 2012, 04:58:25 pm »

When assigning dwarves to my militia, I would get the hidden text bug.  It looks to me like the width of the space allocated is double what it should be.

Took a screenshot, and measured -- sure enough, it fits what I'm seeing:

for each name, the red and green lines are the same length.  The green is a copy of the red shifted over to extend its line.  I'm going to add this to the bug report now.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 10, 2012, 05:50:56 pm »

Many TTF do not have symbols beyond the standard text characters.

When assigning dwarves to my militia, I would get the hidden text bug.  It looks to me like the width of the space allocated is double what it should be.

for each name, the red and green lines are the same length.  The green is a copy of the red shifted over to extend its line.  I'm going to add this to the bug report now.
The Consolas is a fixed font, the characters have a 1:2 ratio.
See this post for more information on the exact cause of this problem.

So I'm just kind of throwing out ideas here since the actual issue is pretty far above my head, but here's some more comparison shots.

Notice where the cursor (the planet looking thing) ends in both screenshots? It's the same. It looks to me like something is failing to read and allot the proper amount of characters to the installed TTF. It seems to only be looking at what the required amount of space is for the non-TTF setting. I guess you guys already mostly knew that though.

Also, and this may be a function of my TTF font, but others have reported it on theirs too. It's failing to display the tile associated with gender symbols (and masterwork I guess?) In my font it defaults to a character that looks like [] (joined). When I checked the legend for this (Dominican) font, that symbol is used repeatedly for quite a few characters like # and other things. I'll post a screen shot later when I've got a world genned and some dwarves up. So, no idea what's going on there. Is that just the nature of TT?
That TTF planet symbol seems to replace the underscore "_" character at the location of the underscore in tileset font.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 11, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »

Many TTF do not have symbols beyond the standard text characters.

The Consolas is a fixed font, the characters have a 1:2 ratio.
See this post for more information on the exact cause of this problem.
I switched fonts and checked, and see that I was incorrect.  I can confirm its the tile width doing this.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 140