Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know what this means? (.31.04 MAC)  (Read 875 times)

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone know what this means? (.31.04 MAC)
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:48:35 am »

So, I'm currently on a laptop from the last run of PowerPC Macs, so I was unable to just use Wine to run earlier .31 releases.

So, I am receiving a message stating "GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog," whenever I use terminal to start up dwarf fortress using the sh df command.

I'm guessing this means I need to be careful with something to avoid upsetting it, but I'm not exactly sure what or if I should even take heed of it.

Does this mean I need to deactivate as much as I can of the expanded functionality from the merge with the Open GL stuff?

I tried using the Phoebus graphic set 2.0 that he released the same day/morning after .31.04, and it ended up crashing the game in such a way that simply deleting all references to it in the init didn't work and I had to reinstall.  Basically, it'd start, but it'd crash as soon as I tried to gen a world or start playing on the existing world I had genned before or open up arena.

Without graphics tiles, it worked just fine, aside from crashing for reasons I didn't think to ascertain the first time I genned a world (so I decided to try a smaller region for a shorter period of time the next time and it worked fine), though I had only tested out arena and genned a world before putting in the graphics tileset.

So, anyone with better knowledge of such things able to say whether that message is a red herring or a legitimate thing to be careful when tinkering with DF?  I'm thinking it might be mostly to completely unrelated to the thing actually causing the crashes, as I'm getting it twice every time I fire up DF and it seems to be working fine.

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know what this means? (.31.04 MAC)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:20:14 am »

Graphics do not work with the new version.  Baughn didn't write the code to work with graphics originally.  It'll be looked at today

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:37:12 am »

So, I'm currently on a laptop from the last run of PowerPC Macs, so I was unable to just use Wine to run earlier .31 releases.

So, I am receiving a message stating "GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog," whenever I use terminal to start up dwarf fortress using the sh df command.

I'm guessing this means I need to be careful with something to avoid upsetting it, but I'm not exactly sure what or if I should even take heed of it.
It just means that it has to allocate a larger texture than strictly necessary, and thus uses a bit more texture memory. Nothing else. It's not an error.
Another way of phrasing it, it's DF saying "Looks like you have a very old graphics chip, I'll take that into account so don't worry."

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:52:55 am »

It doesn't mean anything you need to care about. In video memory it is optimal and on some card necessary to have texture aligned to power of 2 (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, etc) in size. This only mean that a texture not conforming to this has been resized to satisfy this requirement.