Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please Help with Key Binding  (Read 473 times)

Paul Roberts

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Please Help with Key Binding
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:07:49 am »

Hello all,

Newbie question here:  can anyone help me to re-bind the following keys in the *new!* version of "interface.txt"?  I was just getting used to the classic style, but now things are obviously different.  (When I use the in-game key binding menu, the changes are lost when I start the program again.)

I'd like to make the following changes:

Up and Down on the z-axis to "Page Up" and "Page Down"
Secondary menus Up and Down to "[" and "]"
Secondary menu page Up and Down to "-" and "="

In other words, I'm trying to apply classic laptop binding, but I can't seem to do it in the new interface text file.  I fooled around a bit, and all I accomplished was the loss of Enter key functions in DF.

Can someone paste the proper syntax for these bindings here?

Many thanks!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help with Key Binding
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 10:28:50 am »

With the new merge, Baughn, I guess??, has put in a whole new system to rebind the keys, within the game.

Press Esc (at any time I think) and go down to "key bindings", the ones you want are in the "main" section.  Rebind.  I think you then have to press Esc again to exit, then again to go back and select the "Save and exit" option on the first page of the bindings menu.  Haven't found another way to do this yet, but it saved my bindings no problem.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help with Key Binding
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:36:13 am »

Hello all,

Newbie question here:  can anyone help me to re-bind the following keys in the *new!* version of "interface.txt"?  I was just getting used to the classic style, but now things are obviously different.  (When I use the in-game key binding menu, the changes are lost when I start the program again.)

I'd like to make the following changes:

Up and Down on the z-axis to "Page Up" and "Page Down"
Secondary menus Up and Down to "[" and "]"
Secondary menu page Up and Down to "-" and "="

In other words, I'm trying to apply classic laptop binding, but I can't seem to do it in the new interface text file.  I fooled around a bit, and all I accomplished was the loss of Enter key functions in DF.

Can someone paste the proper syntax for these bindings here?

Many thanks!

And as already discussed in the 0.31.04 thread, if you use notepad on windows to save the file, it may get corrupted -> enter key does not work. Use wordpad instead should the "Save and exit" method not work. An alternative solution was to add a blank line in the first row of the interface.txt file if using notepad to save.