Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surviving the the thawing. [0.31.04]  (Read 1902 times)

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
Surviving the the thawing. [0.31.04]
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:37:57 pm »

So I've been building a fort on a lake that freezes every winter.  Problem is when spring comes around and its time for the ice to melt DF just stops.  I get a not responding in the task manager for it and the screen goes a little white(Running on windows 7 64bit).  So is there anyway that I can keep my fort?  If I wait long enough will my pc process all that melting ice?   I would really like to keep this fort as the freezing lake makes it much easier to create my artificial island.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving the the thawing. [0.31.04]
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:58:25 pm »

Can't offer any help, as I have come across the same, but will be watching this thread to see if there are any resolutions.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:58:44 pm »

When things freeze or thaw due to changing seasons the game has to recalculate all of the pathfinding. It creates a very noticeable pause even if the only water on the map is only a brook. It should clear itself up if you leave the game running for a while longer. You have a lake so there is far more water on the map than just a brook but it should still fix itself after a while.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:09:43 pm »

Hi!

Yes, I have also seen a sudden stop during thawing, but if you give it enough time, it should carry on.

I just hope you remembered to make all the water surfaces restricted traffic zones - otherwise you may wish it never thaws :) :) :) It happened to me in one of my first 31.xx fortresses as I had totally forgotten about the bad habit of dwarves to take unfortunate shortcuts.

How large is your map, though? I would expect a Windows 7 machine to be quite powerful, so I am a bit surprised you get a long break due to that.

Deathworks

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »

After about ten minutes the game finally revived itself.  :D  I guess freezing is a lot less harsh on computation cuz I didn't notice any lag when the lake froze over.  Now to wait till next winter to hopefully be able to wall off the lake from my forts base.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:11:42 pm »

Hi!

Yes, I have also seen a sudden stop during thawing, but if you give it enough time, it should carry on.

I just hope you remembered to make all the water surfaces restricted traffic zones - otherwise you may wish it never thaws :) :) :) It happened to me in one of my first 31.xx fortresses as I had totally forgotten about the bad habit of dwarves to take unfortunate shortcuts.

How large is your map, though? I would expect a Windows 7 machine to be quite powerful, so I am a bit surprised you get a long break due to that.

Deathworks

I'm running on a normal size map but almost all of the map is water.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »

Hi!

I think I expressed myself ambiguously. I wanted to know how big your embark size was (the default is 4x4, but I always use 3x3, for instance).

Anyhow, I am glad that this problem resolved itself for you.

I have not had that much luck with freezing water in my latest maps, so I don't know how 31.04 would behave on me, but 31.03 showed a small freeze (2 seconds) each time an elven trader left the map (I guess removing all the items on their two-ton warthogs takes up a lot of processing power).

Deathworks

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »

Well for starters, how well does your computer meet the windows 7 requirements?

I'm not try to brag or anything, but I've never seen or experienced a slow down from thawing.

I've heard the newer operating systems tend to kill older computers.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:14 pm »

Well for starters, how well does your computer meet the windows 7 requirements?

I'm not try to brag or anything, but I've never seen or experienced a slow down from thawing.

I've heard the newer operating systems tend to kill older computers.

It's because you're not doing as much thawing as other people. Trust me, you get enough thawing, you'll slow down any computer.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:57:54 pm »

Even a brook is enough to get some pause. A small one but noticeable.

If its an entire lake and most of the map is water then that is much, much more water than just a brook, so the delay will be far larger while the game recalculates everything.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 03:27:13 pm »

I typically play 5x5-8x8 maps and if I'm playing on a lake, 80 percent of the map is the lake at least.

I like building large waterfalls and stuff...

Only slow down I notice is pathing and season change. I'll wait and see when I get a new fort up and going and have an outside water park.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!