Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivers! Lots of em! Some rather peculiar ones too.  (Read 3834 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Rivers! Lots of em! Some rather peculiar ones too.
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:16:17 am »

Inspired by some topic about waterfalls I decided to make a worldgen parameter set that makes worlds with a crazy amouth of rivers. Turned out pretty well after some expirimentation with erosion, elevations, etc.

The eventual result:
- It makes 257x129 worlds, allowing it have a bit more variation in elevation.
- The maximum number of rivers, 800 of them. They tend to form about 4 majour rivers, which often reach the maximum width of 47 tiles.
- Neat waterfalls! Current record is 22 z-levels. See below for more.
- Oceans edges. No oceans in the middle because erosion takes them out for being too small. This is intentional, as oceans eat rivers.
- Tiny lakes! Mostly alongside mountains. Makes for some pretty nice mountainside fortresses. One even had a tine little island in the middle attached by 2 embark tiles to the land.
- Thin mountains of varying steepness, for plenty of mountainside fortress sites.
- Lots of forests, hills and wetlands, but at least a bit of the other terain types as well.
- A thin polar cap either south or north of the map. Kept it thin due to rivers responding weirdly to larger ones (as in, removing them. Even outside the frozen biomes)
- Havnt dont much with the underground. Just slightly increased openness and water.
- Plenty of caves, 60 in the mountains and 80 ouside them. Civilisations seem able to survive them for 1000 years, though the elves have a hard time. Most get wiped out early, and the ones that surive get picked on by the rest (harhar). So if you dont want your pointy eared friends all gone you might wanna check up on them after worldgen.

The 22-z-level waterfall got genned with [SEED:2687489832]. Its at the intersection of 2 majour rivers.
Spoiler: Embark location (click to show/hide)
There is something weird about that waterfall though. It has a stream fall into one majour river of 27 tiles wide, which then turns into stream-width of 4 tiles and falls into the other majour river 22 levels below. Kind of weird, but definetelly the most high-pressure waterfall I ever seen. Figured some might want to check it out. Just copy paste that seed tag into the worlgen parameters to gen that particular world.

Edit: currentely it has a weird problem causing large areas to have their river wiped out during generation. See the southeast of the example map. Im not sure why it does this, solutions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:19:10 am by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Rivers! Lots of em! Some rather peculiar ones too.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:00 am »

How are aquifers?

I love maps with lots of rivers and my favorite fort site is where two or more rivers join; but usually those embarks have rather annoying aquifer infestations.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:46:42 am »

How are aquifers?

I love maps with lots of rivers and my favorite fort site is where two or more rivers join; but usually those embarks have rather annoying aquifer infestations.

If you don't want aquifers at all, you could remove the aquifer tags from the relevant stone/soil types.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:49:16 am »

How are aquifers?

If you don't want aquifers at all, you could remove the aquifer tags from the relevant stone/soil types.

This.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:12:14 am »

Ye gods, a major river dropping 22 z-levels into another major river?

Badass.

EDIT: HOLY FUCK THERE'S TWO OF THEM ON THE SAME RIVER. *head explodes*

Downstream from the embark in the OP:

"Only" 15 z-levels. And even better, the river flowing into this one goes through a scorching terrifying tropical dry broadleaf forest (skarp, skippos, skelephants, rain of lava).

I think I just had an evilgasm.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:23:32 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:09:37 am »

It didnt have any aquifers when I checked the site, but as with rocks it might be different per generated world due to mods.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:40:40 pm »

Just found another river... thing. I think Armok must have felt artistic here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its got a hand! Freaky. Well, its actualy a river source. I seen them in some weird places before but this beats the lot.

Also, didnt even notice that other waterfall.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:07:54 pm »

Wow, I didn't even know you could mix dimension sizes like that!
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar