Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get crossbowdwarves?  (Read 6574 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get crossbowdwarves?
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:03:39 pm »

How can I get my dwarves to train in crossbows?

Do I need to embark with a rank of Ambusher?  Can I train them to use crossbows?  In 03 or 04.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get crossbowdwarves?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:03:28 am »

Crossbows aren't very effective right now, but...

In 40d you'd assign them a crossbow and build an archery target.  I guess you'd do the same thing in 31, and assign the target to their squad.  Don't put them on training mode, just individual combat drill may do it like other military skills.  And don't know if bone bolts work for training anymore, might need wooden.

Oh, and ammo has to be assigned to the squad via the military pages.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:00:26 am »

I read somewhere that you need to overlap multiple rooms to get crossbow dwarves to train - a barracks from an archery target, overlapping a barracks from somewhere they can store ammo and a barracks from a weapon rack that's set to train or some such. Then there's the issue of actually getting them to shoot when in real combat.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

DasGuntLord01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:07:08 am »

Can't you just have one barracks, including a weapon rack and archery target, and set it to train?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:16:14 pm »

Ok I did some testing. Not sure what you don't need, but here's how to get dwarves to train marksmanship with a crossbow:

Put a weapons rack, armour rack and coffer all next to each other and define all of htem as overlapping barracks. Set the crossbow squad to train there and set their squad equipment to be stored there too (not that I saw them use this but just in case). Also within that barracks, put in an archery target, make sure it's orientated in the right direction and with enough space (radius 3+) and that it too has T (training) and Q (squad equipment) activated.

Build crossbows - bear in mind a piece of equipment is not available for civilian jobs while it's assigned to a soldier even if that soldier isn't using it at present. Also build ammo but don't make ammo stockpiles - I couldn't get dwarves to use stockpiled ammo. In the military screen, you need to set their squad's authorisation ammunition. I've seen my crossbowdwarf use ammo even designated as combat-only for training so be wary. Your dwarves won't use ammo unless it's specifically assigned to their squad which you only have partial control over through that military screen. They don't know how to assign ammo that's in a stockpile in some bin. Incidentally, you can't stockpile just wood/bone bolts anyway as the materials section of stockpiles is bugged (lol silicous ooze bolts).

Oh and make sure you have quivers too, crossbowdwarves want to put their ammo in a quiver while they shoot. If dwarves get stuck in the "Go to Archery Practice" mode, temporarily give them some Move order and then cancel it - that'll refresh them (they are in a squad already so they're setup for squad orders).

Now that you get your dwarves to train their marksmanship... good luck getting them to actually use their honed skills in combat. All attempts I've made had them just run up to melee their targets after they loaded their bolts. But hey, now you can get your dwarves' skills trained up so that when a future patch fixes shooting, you already got your sharpshooters.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:21:23 pm »

We should get this stickied.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 05:16:37 am »

Editing the wiki is prolly good enough.  Will add a link to this.