Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Pipes for faster flows

(1/3) > >>

Abyssal Squid:
It's hard to get water to flow long distances and pipe sections currently have only one use, so I figured it'd be cool if using pipes instead of just channels would speed up water flow.  You build pipes with an interface like for horizontal axles, and each "building" of pipe contains 0-7 of fluid, independant of the tile.The big advantage here is that a pipe "building" can be up to 10 squares long, so the random walk is only 1/10 as long as it would be without the pipes.  Another advantage is that 1/7 of fluid will still flow because nobody can see through pipes and weird quantum effects occur (alternately, they're laid in a slope), saving precious fluids.The big disadvantage is that it requires some sort of pressure to get it going, either a reservoir above, or direct input from a high-flow pump like a screw pump.  Also, pipe sections are expensive.

Inquisitor Saturn:
What a coincidence, I was just about to suggest something very similar to this. The only difference is that my idea was about vertical pipes, where you could stick one end in water and the top would be usable(to an extent) as if the water where at that level.
code:
o - vertical pipe section
%% - pump
~ - water surfacelevel 1
,~~~~,
,~~~o,
,~~~~,
,,,,,,level 2   ###
  #o#
  ###Level 3
,,%%~,

The only hitch being that this only works for a few levels due to the laws of pressure.

numerobis:
_>>_>>_>>_>>_>>__ is a channel.
>> is a pump.

Inquisitor Saturn:
quote:Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>_>>_>>_>>_>>_>>__ is a channel.
>> is a pump.</STRONG>The point is to save space and time, you see.

gurra_geban:
pipes should be able to move water up through z-levels as well, if connected to a pump with enough power. saves you the time and tediousness of those windmill towers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version