Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: YAGI: Yet Another Game Idea  (Read 1341 times)

Halfman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: YAGI: Yet Another Game Idea
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 09:01:53 pm »

The original Idea has already been done...

Try Freedom Fighters. Its basically what you described but smaller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Fighters_%28video_game%29

And Red Orchestra is the big battles without the AI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Orchestra:_Ostfront_41-45

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »

Huh, I remember playing the demo to Freedom Fighters a long time ago...  That game had weird bullets.  Never knew it had multiplayer though...  That's interesting.

And as for large battles without the AI...  I mentioned Battlefield in the original post.  The main point of this idea was the squad of thugs that would follow you around.

Well, that was a rather detailed post, Leo...  Had nothing to do with the idea I had expressed, but I suppose it's about time we moved on from that anyways.  It doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

The first thing that came to mind was this WWII MMOFPS I remember looking at a couple times...  I don't think it was nearly as detailed as the item loadouts you just suggested indicate, but it did allow for you to customize your gear.

What's interesting is the scope of the freakin' thing...  You really are playing across WWII Europe.  I forget where the front line currently is now, but it's some weird location.  I think there are about five or six different factions duking it out at the moment, but I'm not sure...  You've got the French, British, American, and a few others here and there.  I have no idea what would happen if one side were to wipe out another, but from the looks of things...  That's not gonna happen any time soon.

I can never remember the name of that thing though...  I've looked it up a couple times, but I lost interest once the subject of actually paying for it came up.

Frankly...  I think it may just be time to give the WWII games a rest.  Heck, I'd even like to see a little more of the first world war, as I feel it's been sorely underrepresented (can't have a tragedy without capitalizing on it, now can we?).  Or even going back to Warhammer, you could have a similar level of detail in regards to customization and intricacy, but this time with the chaotic free-for-all that the various aliens and heretics provide.  Why settle for just one front line when you can have five or six?

Frankly though, I do like seeing AI in games.  I know that AI bots in multiplayer games tend to be rather, well, *bad*, but I just like having a bunch of semi-worthless meat on each side while you get to stand up above the rest.  I just think it adds to the feeling of having a real battle going on, instead of just the eight yanks who decided to show up for the war this morning.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 02:55:14 pm »

After checking out Godville a bit, I wondered a bit about how this idea could be spread to an actual game, rather than just a Progressquest-like parody.  I like the idea of being able to indirectly influence a character's actions, and I used to think about playing as a sort of "guardian angel" who would boss the character around way back when.

Now with Godville, my imagination has gotten the better of me and I started thinking about some sort of game where you play as a god (or demon, or spirit, or "greater power" etc.) inhabiting either a shrine or an artifact within a dungeon.

Play as a shrine, and you could take in the wandering adventurers who pray to you in search of aid, and you could hover around and look at each one as you chose (imagine it as playing as one of the gods in Dungeon Crawl).  Heck, might as well have a list of sorts over your current followers, and play it like a kind of management sim or whatnot.  Punish them for slighting you or disobeying your edicts, and reward them for giving praise to you in your preferred methods.

Play as an artifact, and you'd wind up as some item just lying around somewhere.  Eventually, a creature (not necessarily an adventurer, all depending on what side you want to play) would come and pick you up, and then you could communicate with them directly through the item.  The game would be far more focused now, since you'd only have one "true" follower, and your item could grow in power as your prophet gives thanks to you and slaughters the heretics in your name.  I mean, honestly...  Who doesn't want to be an axe?

Now, since I'm already just letting the concept run free and clear of any restrictions of rationality or prolonged consideration, I'm going to keep ranting about this.

Eventually, your item-toting minion could choose to preach your greatness to the unenlightened, gaining a following.  Then your dude would be the head of your very own little cult, and then you'd get to gang up on the unbelievers with your rabid horde of faithful!  And should your chosen one ever be slain, there's always some other creature ready to pick you up.

Of course, you may get collected by someone you don't particularly like handling you.  You could, provided you had the power, choose to either rebuke them right off and make your handle glow red-hot or something, or you could lead the poor sap into a suicidal conflict with someone you deem "worthy".

I dunno, I guess I just have a thing for indirect control...  I like watching people run around and do stuff.  Messing with their heads is just an added bonus.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »

I mean, honestly...  Who doesn't want to be an axe?

Being an inanimate object doesn't sound too interesting to me, I'll pass :P

For a game though, it could be pretty awesome :D

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 04:16:09 pm »

Dunno, I don't think I'd have time to bother ordering grunts around in an FPS. Much better to give full attention to my own avatar. But you know what is sort-of similar and would work great? FPS/DotA crossover (please think about it for a second before you shoot me).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 04:17:27 pm »

THERE'S NO TIME TO THINK, IF I DON'T GANK NOW YOU'LL GET AWAY

A DOTA FPS wouldn't actually be all that bad.

EDIT: Though, it would have to work differently than usual DOTA. Players would be running demolition missions and the like, for example.

We already have command point-based battles utilizing AI armies in Star Wars Battlefront. This is what the idea reminds me the most of.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 11:52:45 pm »

Another concept that''s been niggling at me for some time.

For most MMOs (heck, most RPGs), gradual strength buildup is centered around the character.  You gain Exp., grow in levels, and learn new abilities.  Regardless of whatever items you may have with you, they're only there to enhance or supplement your own strength.  In many cases, you won't even be able to use certain items without a certain amount of internal character strength.

While this does present a rather level playing field (anyone can achieve the same levels and abilities, given time), it also results in a somewhat dull and/or stagnant aspect of gameplay.  Suddenly you have grinding and number crunching as part of the eternal quest to become better than everyone else.

What I'm thinking of, however, is exactly the opposite.  Instead of an internal leveling system, we have an external one.  Allow me to explain.

Imagine a world that has a number of special locations in it, and that has been generously littered with a number of randomly-generated artifacts of varying power.  When I was first thinking about this, the idea was centered around shamans and witch doctors, and items imbued with spirits and "Juju".

The idea here is that all characters start out the same, and remain the same.  They're all just human (or slightly above that, actually), and don't gain experience levels.  They don't generate stat points, and they don't pull new skills out of their bums.  A more level playing field you cannot get.

During the course of their travels, they will happen upon certain ingredients, artifacts, or base items that can have a spirit trapped within it to provide you with power.  These items can serve as stepping stones for defeating the guardians of more powerful relics or highly concentrated spirit wells, thus allowing you to enchant/find more powerful accoutrements.

Due to the randomized nature of the artifacts and their locations, this will result in some people getting far luckier than others.  I'm not going to argue that this won't cause a significant gap in power, but I do think that this system has its uses.

I do think that it should be possible to take these items away from their wielders.  This means that although it's possible to nab some ultra-powerful artifact and claim yourself king of all creation, it will result in everyone else banding together in an attempt to take it from you.  Tyrants and griefers will only be as powerful as the items they hold, and those can be taken from them, given enough cooperation from the oppressed.  Of course, you'll then end up with some squabbling over who gets what loot, but that's their problem...

High-powered characters will be regarded as either exceptionally lucky or exceptionally devious, rather than just people who have devoted the intense amount of time necessary to attain a high level of experience through grinding.

This system does present a number of problems however...  But I think some of these arise from the way we currently view items, which has been spawned from a lifetime of character-based leveling games.  In such games, a character may well have a torso covering, pants, shoes, helmet, amulet, two rings on each hand, weapon, shield, and a number of other minor items scattered in as well.  If we reduce the number of items but increase their importance, then we can start rethinking a new item system.

People who play the game for long periods will only be able to lord it over the newcomers through their better understanding of the game mechanics and the higher likelihood that they've managed to find some powerful items along the way.  Unlike traditional RPGs, they will never be entirely safe, as they can't just continue to level at the same rate as the newcomer and thus eternally outmatch them.  If the new guy gets some good Juju, then you've got yourself a fight brewing...

This results in a state of constant chaos, where the people at the top are never completely secure and the people at the bottom are never completely helpless.  There will be duels, backstabbing, minor wars, and deals made for the sake of getting better equipped to handle the world around you.  And, as always, the RNG will find a way to throw a wrench in the whole thing now and again.  And since you'll never be able to "max out" your character, even the veterans will be constantly exploring the world in search of new treasures.

The idea needs some refining, no doubt about it...  But I do think it has a certain amount of promise.  I've never seen an entirely external leveling system in a multiplayer game before (unless you count FPSs or something...).
Pages: 1 [2]