Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: game crashes after save, right when cleaning up objects starts  (Read 476 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is pretty common for me, and I was wondering, what are the objects, should cleanup be done, and can it be done manually? 

This seems to happen more often when I have lots of items on the map.  I presently don't have anything needing atom smashing, and the elves just left, so there are a lot less game objects in the game presently than there could be.  This has happened with every fortress I have had, after it gets big enough.  Sometimes with diligent smashing the cleanup crash will go away and it will save normally.

I also seem to be crashing to the desktop now a few minutes after starting (on this particular save game).   I am experimenting with cancelling tasks to see if that helps any (maybe something is crapping out).  Any ideas?

Incidentally I managed to get past the crash a few minutes into starting--a forgotten beast came and I think that may have been what was triggering the crash.

Said forgotten beast turned out to be a treat.. beware its deadly dust alright... it breathed frozen and boiling ichor out in a huge cloud that blew a spearmaster into a series of obstacles, including traps, and he was wasted just as he showed up.  A second soldier died in the blast, and it wasn't even listed in the announcements or the reports!  Then a master axe dwarf showed up and chopped off the tail and head, and combat ended.

The game seems to be running OK now... I guess I just have to save more frequently to guard against ambush/beast arrivals (and potential crashes)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:29:40 pm by Hyperturtle »
igless